Thoughts on Physics/Ochem grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dayfed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am slowly getting my grades back from my spring semester of sophomore year. While I certainly didn't bomb anything, I find it somewhat dissapointing.

Last semester:
ochem 1:B-
physics 1 calc based: B+

This semester:
ochemlab: B
ochem 2: B+/A- (not sure)
physics 2: B+

I'm not complaining, because some do much worse, but at the same time, not going to impress anyone. Also, my GPA dropped from a 3.8 to a 3.6. Next semester I plan on having a better semester with these classes:

Neuroscience 1, Biochem, Human Physiology, and Directed Psychology Research.

Members don't see this ad.

Good Luck. Biochem and Human Physiology are also pretty tough, but aren't usually considered weed-out courses like OChem and Physics. Hopefully, the class curve will be more in your favor.

Nice work on Organic 2, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
whyd you take calc based physics?

at my school there are three intro physics classes, non-calc based for liberal ed majors, physics for bio and premed majors (calc-based), and engineering physics (calc based). I took the physics for bio and premed since I'm a Neuroscience major.

Hey everybody,

I am slowly getting my grades back from my spring semester of sophomore year. While I certainly didn't bomb anything, I find it somewhat dissapointing.

Last semester:
ochem 1:B-
physics 1 calc based: B+

This semester:
ochemlab: B
ochem 2: B+/A- (not sure)
physics 2: B+

I'm not complaining, because some do much worse, but at the same time, not going to impress anyone. Also, my GPA dropped from a 3.8 to a 3.6. Next semester I plan on having a better semester with these classes:

Neuroscience 1, Biochem, Human Physiology, and Directed Psychology Research.

You got reasonable grades, but no standout good ones. This won't help if you're dead set on a top school, but I don't see how these grades will close you off from getting in somewhere.

I had B's in all my premed courses (at Michigan, a well-regarded school) and got 6 out of state interviews applying in DECEMBER (as in, AMCAS submitted Dec 1). I got one acceptance, one waitlist and one post-interview rejection so far, still waiting on the rest.

My GPA was 3.45 and science GPA a 3.3. MCAT an even 30. If I can do it, anyone can.

However, I had an upward trend. My science GPA last year was a 3.6. Put this behind you, do well your junior year and you will have a shot as good as anyone.

as long as you get As and Bs theres nothing to worry about.