Thoughts on PNW Residency Programs? (especially UW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNWFM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having some difficulty with some programs on my rank list (due tomorrow, i know!!)

I know there's a lot of love for unopposed family medicine programs. I have mostly unopposed, community programs ranked at the top. However, there is one 'opposed' program that is near the top of my list: University of Washington. I enjoyed the residents and interview day. Possibly would have been my #1 overall, however just about every UW medical student on the interview trail had only negative things to say about the program; primarily about getting treated poorly, being overworked, etc. So it's been bumped down a little, but I'm just sure how far...

Am I naive to ignore these 'warnings' and still rank UW higher than programs like Kaiser Washington, SW Washington, Providence Portland, etc.? I enjoyed these other community programs, but wonder if I'd be missing an opportunity to train at a nationally recognized program with unlimited resources.

Are there any real advantages to consider when ranking a program with the reputation of UW, vs solid community programs in the PNW?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone else interview or graduate from these programs? Any thoughts would be appreciated!