• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Thoughts on premed consulting

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Alpha Centauri
  1. Medical Student
    What are your thoughts? Do people actually pay for premed consulting? I don’t know anyone who has used it

I don’t understand why you’d feel the need to pay for information that’s readily available on the internet, the AAMC website, sdn, Reddit, and the 37,000 other free websites, podcasts, and YouTube videos about being premed and studying for the mcat

About the Ads

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    1. Medical Student
      It’s incredibly lucrative in certain regions with higher concentrations of more affluent college students like Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, and SF. Never discount the degree to which parents believe their child(ren)’s success is a reflection of themselves and will spend accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      5+ Year Member
      Jan 13, 2015
      Alpha Centauri
      1. Medical Student
        It’s incredibly lucrative in certain regions with higher concentrations of more affluent college students like Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, and SF. Never discount the degree to which parents believe their child(ren)’s success is a reflection of themselves and will spend accordingly.

“Never discount the degree to which parents believe their child(ren)’s success is a reflection of themselves and will spend accordingly.”

This is so foreign to me. Maybe I’ll only understand when I have kids :panda:

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
        10+ Year Member
        Gold Member
        Jul 26, 2009
        The Big Bad Apple
        1. Non-Student
          having been as advising consultant many years as part of the premed and medical admissions work, I would say 95% of the people who call me I send them on a way after 30-45 minutes as they dont need me. I tend to deal with nontrads, problematic, and atypical applicants and avoid "traditional" applicants as their parents are just too much.

Why there is lots of info all over the web, I am astounded to extent which most applicants do not use them.
          1) Even the best and brightest on here seem to never bother reading the free AMCAS info, even so much as the actual application instructions. This is why every year under my signature I link to just about every AMCAS article or tutorial
          2) Research in depth on the actual school websites for details and specifics. Such basic things as mission statement, letter specifics, etc are right there. If you go a little deeper, you can find the adcom policies, criteria, etc for how they work and what they look for
          3) While some schools have knowledgeable advisors and well-organized premed committees, the vast majority of advisors focus on what courses at their UG school can be used to fill requirements and just a basic understanding of the complicated application process
          4) What I find most applicants lack is the conceptual jump in writing an application. That is, you need to take the activities you have participated in and express them to show what traits, attributes, and characteristics you have that should be considered by an adcoms as to your fitness to be a medical student and physician. It is this piece I help students with the most who cant seem to able to comprehend this much less make the jump to expressing it well.

• Love
          Reactions: 2 users
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.