Thoughts on Pritzker (U of Chicago)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdreamer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going there, will be going there, or waitlisted have anything to say about this school... its been pretty much absent from all the forum talk.

Members don't see this ad.

bigdreamer said:
Anyone going there, will be going there, or waitlisted have anything to say about this school... its been pretty much absent from all the forum talk.

i'm waitlisted there. i've actually decided against going there, though, because the heavy focus on research and academic medicine was a bit of a turnoff to me. their hospitals are consistently ranked the best in Chicago, though, and one thing that i really did like about pritzker was the ability to take courses in the undergrad college just for fun. i.e. a lit class or a philosophy class. nice to have something structured to take your mind off of med school once in a while.

everyone definitely seemed happy there, and it's a small, tight-knit place. just wasn't my cup of tea in the end.

I was waitlisted also

I am not sure how their waitlist works. But I want to be ready to make a decision if I happen to get in (No more tortured decisions!)

I was really impressed by the interview day- the 3 interviews (not that I like interviews, but I like that they put the effort into getting to know you), the great hospitals-gym- and undergrad campus that are right there, the prestige of the school. For such a great school, it really seems to me they value more than just good scores which makes for a better group of classmates- and I am all about that!

I wasn't impressed by the intensity my host said the school had. I know its P/F but I heard that they report percentags to residencies. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of P/F? The area- such a great/clean school in such a dirty/suburb area. and also the fact that it is freakin cold there. But my decision between DC/NY/and Chic give me no choice but to freeze my butt off anyways.

Also, were any waitlister's invited to the revisit days? (Just tryin to see where I stand in the waitlist)

Members don't see this ad :)
Pritzker is definitely my #1 choice! I'm currently wailisted, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Is it true that percentages are reported to residencies? I heard the opposite.

Tonic1025 said:
Pritzker is definitely my #1 choice! I'm currently wailisted, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Is it true that percentages are reported to residencies? I heard the opposite.

I heard that nothing like that is reported at all like that. According to their residency guide: If I am asked where I rank in my class, where can I get this information?

You can’t. Since class ranking is not possible under a strictly pass/fail grading system, programs that are seeking that information will only be able to get some indication from you personally if you have made note of how you
have performed during your first two years. There will be no way of verifying this by the Pritzker School of Medicine, should the request come to us.

They say during third year if you get pass, high pass, honors, etc during the clerkships but no ranking against other students