Thoughts on recent celebrity suicides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyHalcyon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was pretty floored yesterday when I heard the news about Anthony Bourdain. With Kate Spade... Well let's just say I heard an interview with her not too long ago and she did appear hypomanic so I'm thinking bipolar. With Anthony Bourdain I'm hoping it isn't drug related. Either way, very sad news.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

We shouldn't be diagnosing people we've never met based on a single interview. Also, suicide is the tenth leading cause of death--it's hardily surprising that some celebrities would also die by suicide. I worry about suicide contagion with the way these deaths are being handled by the media, though.

Reactions: 7 users
We shouldn't be diagnosing people we've never met based on a single interview. Also, suicide is the tenth leading cause of death--it's hardily surprising that some celebrities would also die by suicide. I worry about suicide contagion with the way these deaths are being handled by the media, though.
Oh cmon, you haven't engaged in water cooler talk this week with colleagues or friends? Of course I'm not formally diagnosing her. Its a mental health issue and I presumed mental health clinicians would have some thoughts about it.

But I did have a similar thought about the contagion piece. I wonder if Kate influenced Anthony's decision in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also wondering about suicide contagion.

Serious question. What's the research behind the contagion phenomenon? How much of it is just increased awareness of something that is already happening vs a significant increase/cluster? Not an area that I've delved into in any meaningful way yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Serious question. What's the research behind the contagion phenomenon? How much of it is just increased awareness of something that is already happening vs a significant increase/cluster? Not an area that I've delved into in any meaningful way yet.
I would think the word contagion is a tad dramatic, makes me think of the movie Heather's. What I mean is that I don't think someone who isn't already extremely depressed would ever consider suicide, no matter which celebrity kills themselves. That being said, for the person who is already depressed... Who knows. I would also be interested in the research, although I imagine it would be a difficult thing to study.

Oh cmon, you haven't engaged in water cooler talk this week with colleagues or friends? Of course I'm not formally diagnosing her. Its a mental health issue and I presumed mental health clinicians would have some thoughts about it.

Not really. I've talked about these suicides with friends who are psychologists, but speculation about specific mental disorders has not been part of those conversations.

Yeah I don’t think speculation on celeb diagnoses is really common among people in the field other than quacks. We don’t know enough about a celebrity to make an informed judgment. You can’t diagnose someone off interviews twitter etc, because that’s a super narrow behavior sample. We’d never diagnose a real patient after watching an interview they did about their job for local news.

Yeah I don’t think speculation on celeb diagnoses is really common among people in the field other than quacks. We don’t know enough about a celebrity to make an informed judgment. You can’t diagnose someone off interviews twitter etc, because that’s a super narrow behavior sample. We’d never diagnose a real patient after watching an interview they did about their job for local news.
My poor supervisor will be unhappy to learn she is a quack.

If she’s dxing people based on media interviews and twitter feeds I’d totally call her a quack, at least with regard to that behavior.
It's speculation. It's not ethical to truly diagnose people we haven't met. No one had any plans to go on the news or write an article about diagnoses. That was just my thought but I will keep my thoughts about those things to myself from now on.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's speculation. It's not ethical to truly diagnose people we haven't met. No one had any plans to go on the news or write an article about diagnoses. That was just my thought but I will keep my thoughts about those things to myself from now on.

But people do write articles diagnosing people. See endless hack articles on trump, to say the least. That’s the problem. Just guessing about what someone might have might be a goofy game akin to diagnosing tv characters, if you understand you’re just playing at Dx with the info you have.

Reactions: 1 user
But people do write articles diagnosing people. See endless hack articles on trump, to say the least. That’s the problem. Just guessing about what someone might have might be a goofy game akin to diagnosing tv characters, if you understand you’re just playing at Dx with the info you have.
You are exactly right. I cringe every time I see someone on the news speculating so I can understand how my post was interpreted, although that was not my intent

I've looked in the lit on this, though I don't have time to pull references right now... give me a couple of days? :)

Reactions: 1 users

I've been thinking about the media response as well. At what point are we paying tribute to someone and at what point are we capitalizing on a famous person's death to get views. Mental health has been a buzzword lately. After a shooting people call for better mental health and after a celebrity suicide people talk about better mental health but once a week passes all the talk dies down and I'm not sure what has actually been done to move the needle. Lots of people post the suicide prevention hotline number but I wonder if they're getting an increase in calls after events like these or in general is it an uptick of interest without an uptick in intervention. I'm a firm believer that attention can be a good thing but only when harnessed productively. I wonder what everyone else's opinions are on HOW to utilize events like these to bring awareness while still respecting those who've passed and to educate the public on how to help their loved ones who may be struggling.

My take on the literature; I do not think we have strong evidence indicating such phenomena. Though, this is not a consensus statement and you have valid evidence on both sides. We definitely need more research.

We do seem to be in a time when the media has become much more interested in suicide (e.g., TV shows, music, and news articles). My opinion is the exposure is helpful in terms of resources but the downsides is many misconceptions arise as well. I doubt it will make any serious change since the causes of suicide require more than posting suicide prevention phone numbers.

I wonder what everyone else's opinions are on HOW to utilize events like these to bring awareness while still respecting those who've passed and to educate the public on how to help their loved ones who may be struggling.
I think the best that can be done is allocation of resources toward research on prevention, treatment, dissemination, and implementation of evidence based programs. Want to reduce suicide deaths? The simplest method is to reduce access to lethal means. Let's make sure you have to wait a day before buying a gun or how about not selling Tylenol in large vats. Additionally, let's start suing practitioners that are not well-trained to treat individuals with an elevated risk of suicide. Maybe the APA can stop sponsoring untested CE workshops for suicide treatment. I swear I want to team up with a lawyer to sue practitioners that are unethically practicing out of their scope when it comes to suicide treatment. We would make bank.

Interesting article I came across regarding Anthony Bourdain and his alcohol use and past hx of addiction. This quote in particular struck me since I am obviously a bit more pro 12-step than many of my peers.

"Bourdain, in other words, is not a 12-step, abstinence automaton-nut. He has a good life, and he knows how to keep it. Smart, thoughtful people often arrive at such a point, even after some serious detours."

Anthony Bourdain's Addiction Report Card

On the pain speciality board they have an under/over for how many drugs were involved in his death. Guess my personality may be best suited for a different audience
I find that to be very unprofessional. If I were in the shoes of Boaurdian's family and friends I would feel even more horrible to know that healthcare professionals are partaking in such behavior.

I think you are correct that like attracts like and people with similar temperaments tend to gather on certain forums and listservs. I think SDN is a ideal example of that. Many of the long time posters think very similarly on many topics on here (for better or worse). The professional listserv I am most active on would quickly squelch such discussion. I can only hope someone on your pain board would speak up.

Last edited:
I actually implore you to not keep your thoughts to yourself if you think they are worthy of expressing. I find it unhelpful to even think about any diagnosis for Spade or Bourdain. They did not die strictly b/c of their diagnosis and I doubt that a diagnosis would explain a majority of the variability in why someone attempts. I wonder more about their history and how they got to this point. Likely somewhere in their history a moment of effective intervention could have changed everything.

Interesting article I came across regarding Anthony Bourdain and his alcohol use and past hx of addiction. This quote in particular struck me since I am obviously a bit more pro 12-step than many of my peers.

"Bourdain, in other words, is not a 12-step, abstinence automaton-nut. He has a good life, and he knows how to keep it. Smart, thoughtful people often arrive at such a point, even after some serious detours."

Anthony Bourdain's Addiction Report Card

I don't know. The statement feels sort of invalidating of all those people who did benefit a great deal from it. I know some don't connect with 12-step due to some of the religious overtones but there are individuals who need the structure and guidelines to stay sober. Saying those people aren't smart or thoughtful is pretty blaming of the individual. Like yeah, good on Bourdain for not needing it to get sober and stay sober but calling those who did use it as automaton-nuts is harsh. I generally feel 12-step shouldn't be your ONLY source of treatment as most of those groups are member rather than clinician led. But 12-step can be a great supplement to therapy and other empirically researched treatments for addiction.

I don't know. The statement feels sort of invalidating of all those people who did benefit a great deal from it. I know some don't connect with 12-step due to some of the religious overtones but there are individuals who need the structure and guidelines to stay sober. Saying those people aren't smart or thoughtful is pretty blaming of the individual. Like yeah, good on Bourdain for not needing it to get sober and stay sober but calling those who did use it as automaton-nuts is harsh. I generally feel 12-step shouldn't be your ONLY source of treatment as most of those groups are member rather than clinician led. But 12-step can be a great supplement to therapy and other empirically researched treatments for addiction.
Don't want to turn this into a debate 12-step thread as we have already had those before. Just want to say that I tend to recommend abstinence for most of my patients mainly because of the correlations between substance use, depression, and suicide. I saw a few episodes of his show and my thought was that the guy looked like someone who might be a bit too fond of drinking. Find it amazing that another professional would use him as an example of how recovering addicts can successfully use substances.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't want to turn this into a debate 12-step thread as we have already had those before. Just want to say that I tend to recommend abstinence for most of my patients mainly because of the correlations between substance use, depression, and suicide. I saw a few episodes of his show and my thought was that the guy looked like someone who might be a bit too fond of drinking. Find it amazing that another professional would use him as an example of how recovering addicts can successfully use substances.
12 step programs have their place and when broken down a bit, actually rely on many cbt principles. That being said they are extremely black and white and basically reinforce concepts like the abstinence violation effect. I believe it all comes down to confirmation bias/cognitive dissonance. People who have past addiction issues that don't like abstinence based programs pointed to Bourdain as a hero because he kicked harder drugs and appeared to be "doing fine." People in abstinence based programs usually firmly believe the idea "once an addict, always an addict. I have recently begun to think of addiction from a more personality centered framework, linked to impulsivity and other cluster B traits.

I find that to be very unprofessional. If I were in the shoes of Boaurdian's family and friends I would feel even more horrible to know that healthcare professionals are partaking in such behavior.

I think you are correct that like attracts like and people with similar temperaments tend to gather on certain forums and listservs. I think SDN is a ideal example of that. Many of the long time posters think very similarly on many topics on here (for better or worse). The professional listserv I am most active on would quickly squelch such discussion. I can only hope someone on your pain board would speak up.
I agree it's unprofessional, and at the same time I think some in our profession use dark humor in order to cope with the enormous sadness of what we deal with day in and day out. Not saying it's right, but this work can take a toll.