Thoughts on Royal College of surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camrichie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a canadian citizen, i recently finished my undergrad and iam looking to apply to med school for the sec time. I heard about RCSI but I don't know much about it. Is there anyone that has any info for me. I was wonder how the re-entry for grads is? Do they generally get residency in canada or the US. How do the students do when it comes to competative residency like surgery, I would like to speacialize in plastics. And what are their general minimum exceptance rates? Any extra information would be greatly appreaciated as well.

Camrichie

Members don't see this ad.

Any of the questions you posed are readily answerable by doing simple searches of your keywords (ireland, residency, match, atlantic bridge, indiv school names etc). Give that a thorough try and post back here if you still have specific questions.

Any of the questions you posed are readily answerable by doing simple searches of your keywords (ireland, residency, match, atlantic bridge, indiv school names etc). Give that a thorough try and post back here if you still have specific questions.

I was hoping to get answers from the people who have been though the process. But thanks though....

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak to the odds of obtaining residency in the US, but the odds of returning as a cIMG (Canadian IMG) to Canada aren't great (depending quite strongly, it appears, on the medical school that you choose to attend).

On the plus side (for this forum), the article notes that "concerns [of substandard training] don't extend to graduates of well-established, accredited schools in countries such as Ireland and Australia."

I agree with the last statement you made; graduates of RCSI seem to be having improving fortunes in the last few years; this is probably a reflection of the positive changes that have been made to the Canadian residency match.

To illustrate this, when I entered med school in 2001 the Canadian students held out no hope of going home. 2 years ago 1 guy matched into an Ortho programme and was lauded as the great white hope. Now, in my graduating class this year, 6 students applied and all 6 matched in the first round - 2 in Ortho, and one each in Internal Med, Family Med, Paediatrics and Anaesthesia.

Things are looking up for you guys.

You don't agree with this?

Either you mis-read me or my post was unclear (the latter is entirely possible). I do agree with the assertion that the worries some institutions in the US and Canada hold regarding the standard of "IMGs in general" do not apply to graduates of Irish medical schools.

In addition, changes to allow IMGs compete on an equal footing with CMGs in the CaRMS has allowed Irish grads the opportunity to demonstrate their ability and good training. This seems to have paid off with job offers.

:thumbup: