Thoughts on school list? 3.71 cGPA / 3.74 sGPA / 522 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
[Deleted]

Last edited:
Good GPA, great MCAT. Do you happen to have any other extracurriculars or experiences that you haven't listed (Not meaning to sound harsh)? With such a top heavy list, there are bound to be people with similar numbers and fantastic ECs. You may want to reconsider the distribution of schools you're applying to and include more mid/upper mid schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Your stats are almost identical to mine -- I wouldn't worry about your GPA at all. Although my GPA was my major concern at the beginning of the cycle, it has been a non-issue, and I have received several acceptances at places where my GPA is below average (for reference, I'm also non-URM). However, the one thing I am concerned about is your lack of volunteering. From what you've described, it sounds like you're just beginning to volunteer. I wouldn't apply this cycle if that is the case -- wait until you have a couple hundred hours of volunteering under your belt.

Edit: I say this because I believe volunteering (especially clinical volunteering) is one of the most important pieces of the med school application, and the most highly valued by admissions committees. It demonstrates altruism, which is something every med school looks for in applicants.

Congratulations on the MCAT though! When you build up your ECs a little more, you will have a fantastic app.

[Deleted]

Last edited:
If you do choose to include those activities, you should definitely place them together under one listing on the AMCAS activities section. The section could be titled something like "Volunteer Experiences" and you would list the total combined hours for all of these experiences, while describing each activity briefly under the description section. Hopefully this would result in at least 70 hours total? You can also include future hours (but be honest about how much time you plan to put into these activities) so that could give you a slight boost, and demonstrate a longer term commitment.

All that said, my advice is still to wait another year. Don't take this the wrong way -- I think if you applied now, you would be accepted to an MD school somewhere, and end up matriculating. But from your school list it appears as if your aspirations are a little higher than that -- you have a lot of top schools on your list. For those schools, your scribing/LORs/research/academics will most likely not compensate for a lack of volunteer work, simply because they are inundated with applicants who have all of the above. If you had a publication in Nature/Cell/etc, or had started a successful company, or something else that really stood out on your application, then I'd tell you to apply right now despite the deficit in volunteering. But as it stands, I think you run the risk of matriculating to a school that is below your true potential. If you wait another year and boost your volunteering, I think your options will broaden significantly. So, if your goal is to aim high, then wait. If your goal is just to get into med school, then it's worth applying now.

Thanks for the responses! I didn't write all of my experiences, but yes it's true that I have less than ideal volunteer experience. Here's a more complete list:

-Went on a volunteer service trip to another country several years ago. Worked in a shelter for children who were victims of sexual abuse, as well as in homeless and elderly shelters and on a school construction project. Probably about 30 hours total of service. I don't know whether to even include this because I have heard AdComs look down on "voluntourism" type things where people pay money to go to other countries and incorporate volunteering into their trip.

-Briefly worked with a non-profit providing secondhand books to underprivileged people, but this was only about 5 hours total so I'm also not sure whether to include this.

-Tutored low income children for a few months, totaling about 6 hours (again I'm unsure whether to include this due to the low number of hours).

-Drove cancer patients to and from their chemotherapy appointments. I've only done this a couple of times, but could probably start doing it more often. I also first started this a couple of years ago, so I could say truthfully that it is a longer-term commitment, though there are pretty long gaps in my involvement.

So yes, I definitely see that my volunteer experience is not terribly impressive compared to many applicants. Do you think I should include these experiences on my applications at all? Or instead get involved in something now that will be more intensive and long-term, and either postpone to next cycle or redistribute my applications to include more mid/upper-mid schools? I'm already 25 so would rather apply this cycle unless this is a huge impediment. Would having a few thousand hours working as a scribe, as well as what I expect to be very strong LORs from the doctors I work with, along with my research experience plus strong academic LORs, outweigh this issue at all?

OHSU won't accept you unless you are in state or qualify for heritage status

OHSU only considers applicants in their missions groups which includes in state or heritage. It also includes high stats oos applicants as per OHSU's website:
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2017 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.70 or higher, and a cumulative score of 32 or higher (for the old MCAT) or 513 or higher (for the new MCAT) on the most recent eligible MCAT. Superior achievements is defined as significant experiences in healthcare, leadership, extracurricular activities, and/or community service activities.
So I actually know quite a few people who have interviewed there from oos who fit the oos high stats missions group which OP also fits. It's better if you have a connection to the PNW but I know high stats oos people who have been accepted there without that connection. Good luck OP!

Reactions: 1 user
OHSU only considers applicants in their missions groups which includes in state or heritage. It also includes high stats oos applicants as per OHSU's
So I actually know quite a few people who have interviewed there from oos who fit the oos high stats missions group which OP also fits. It's better if you have a connection to the PNW but I know high stats oos people who have been accepted there without that connection. Good luck OP!

Thanks for clarifying! Sorry for the mis information

Reactions: 1 user
[Deleted]

Last edited:
"Went to mid-tier public undergraduate, but took several prereqs after undergrad at more prestigious state institutions and got all A's"

So you went to NCSU and then to UNC. got it

[Deleted]

Last edited:
If you want to cut some schools off your list, you could definitely take off Brown (really prefers its undergrads) and Colorado (high in-state bias). You might also want to consider applying to Virginia Tech, which doesn't have an in-state bias at all and is research heavy.

Also, maybe consider your weather preferences? I notice a lot of rather cold, snowy places on your list (Rochester, Mt. Sinai, Mayo, Michigan, BU, etc.) which can be a bit of a shock if you're used to warmer weather.

[Deleted]

Last edited:
[Deleted]

Last edited: