Thoughts on sharing kitchen/food

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Universal Coverage

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might seem like a weird question, but I'd appreciate your opinions. I'm currently sharing a a kitchen in a dorm with 10 other students. I tend to spend more time on cooking than most people so the food I prepare ends up appearing to be a bit more fancy. For example, I often made shrimp, scallop, or salmon while the people next to me seem to be making mac and cheese every day. This makes me feel awkward. If anyone would like some of my food I'm totally for sharing but realistically of course, I can't share too much because I'm cooking for myself. Yet, I feel bad about dining on my elaborate creations while I get the feeling everyone else is looking on. I also don't feel good about just locking myself in my room as I eat cause that makes me look like a hermit and I'm not. Am I being too self-conscious here? Anyone deal with similar situations sharing kitchens? I think I've been spoiled too long with a private kitchen and just eating with family members.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi-

I cook alot too, but I currently live alone. But it was like that in college for me (well not as many people). I never felt the need to hide in my room. I shared when they asked but I was suually making people eat my food :) But I did always cook for another person usually (much more fun to cook for others). But I understand where you're coming from food ain't cheap. Your talking to a person who enjoys making elaborate brunches for 1 on the weekends sometimes.

Don't feel self-conscious about it. It's YOUR food and YOU cooked it. If your roommates have a problem, then it's their problem.

-b

i TOTALLY know what you mean about sharing kitchens. i don't know why, but i hate when other people are watching me cook. they may not even be watching me, but i feel like they are. maybe cause i'm watching what they make?? or maybe we're just a tad paranoid and nuts :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by lola:
•i TOTALLY know what you mean about sharing kitchens. i don't know why, but i hate when other people are watching me cook. they may not even be watching me, but i feel like they are. maybe cause i'm watching what they make?? or maybe we're just a tad paranoid and nuts :wink: •••••So umm... *looks at lola's food* did your parents teach you to share? :wink: :p

With my last roomate we took turns shopping and we paid each other for stuff they only one of us used eg. she didn't drink milk and we didn't split the milk cost. This has worked quite well.

My issue is that friends call me up begging me to go cook for them and when I show up they've invited 8 people over! Not only do I not have enough food, but they expect me to go get more and pay for it all out of pocket!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by UCLA2000:
•My issue is that friends call me up begging me to go cook for them and when I show up they've invited 8 people over! Not only do I not have enough food, but they expect me to go get more and pay for it all out of pocket!•••••Just cook ramen.

Hey,

Cook whatever your budget allows you to cook. I personally love cooking little special meals (mostly for myself). There is nothing wrong with offering your roommates some. But don't offer them everytime...they might start thinking of you as their personal chef/cook and start "expecting" food. You don't want that to happen. :D
I know when I was in undergrad, I earned some extra cash by selling food to other dormmates who were sick of dorm food..... :wink:

If I had 10 roommates, I would work out some sort of cooking arangement where someone cooks for everyone...like take turns. It would be a lot cheaper to buy food in bulk once every two weeks

I'm moving this to everyone, I guess...

It is an interesting problem. I don't really have any advice for you. :wink: But pre-allo isn't the best place for this.