Thoughts on the Baylor PA EM Residency/DSc program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physasst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
YES, there is a PA clinical doctorate being offered as well. NO, we are not pursuing independent practice. Just wondered what the posters thoughts were here on this.

UNLIKE the DNP, this is combined with a rather intensive residency, so it is a TRUE clinical doctorate. Graduates are awarded a Doctor of Science Degree, or a DSc. Here's the link.

http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/60863

It includes several thousand hours of clinical hours, plus a rather tough didactic portion. I think the participants are averaging 85 hours per week.

It's only 18 months long, but when I compare this to the DNP, this is just SO much more intense, involved, and is truly a "clinical" degree. And yet, we don't want independent practice. Is my thought process messed up there or something?

Members don't see this ad.

YES, there is a PA clinical doctorate being offered as well. NO, we are not pursuing independent practice. Just wondered what the posters thoughts were here on this.

UNLIKE the DNP, this is combined with a rather intensive residency, so it is a TRUE clinical doctorate. Graduates are awarded a Doctor of Science Degree, or a DSc. Here's the link.

http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/60863

It includes several thousand hours of clinical hours, plus a rather tough didactic portion. I think the participants are averaging 85 hours per week.

It's only 18 months long, but when I compare this to the DNP, this is just SO much more intense, involved, and is truly a "clinical" degree. And yet, we don't want independent practice. Is my thought process messed up there or something?

Didactic Portion, Tested Blocks
MEM6210 Introduction to Emergency Medicine — Resuscitation and Shock
MEM6211 Musculoskeletal Topics Emergency Medicine
MEM6212 Toxicology and Oral Maxillary Facial
MEM6213 Cardiovascular, Pulmonary, Hematology, Oncology, and Psychosocial Disorders
MEM6214 Gastrointestinal, Genitourinary, Obstetrics/Gynecology
MEM6215 Pediatrics, Non-Traumatic Musculoskeletal Disorders, Abuse/Assault
MEM6216 Emergency Wound Management, Environmental Injuries, Trauma
MEM6217 Infectious Disease, Endocrinology, Neurology
MEM6220 Advanced Resuscitation and Shock
MEM6221 Advanced Musculoskeletal Topics Emergency Medicine
MEM6222 Advanced Toxicology and Oral Maxillary Facial
MEM6223 Advanced Cardiovascular, Pulmonary, Hematology, Oncology, and Psychosocial Disorders
MEM6224 Advanced Gastrointestinal, Genitourinary, Obstetrics/Gynecology
MEM6225 Advanced Pediatrics, Non-Traumatic Musculoskeletal Disorders, Abuse/Assault
MEM6226 Advanced Emergency Wound Management, Environmental Injuries, and Trauma
MEM6227 Advanced Infectious Disease, Endocrinology, Neurology

Practical Clinical Rotations
MEM6330 Orientation to Emergency Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6231 Emergency Department 1, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6232 Emergency Department 2, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6233 Emergency Department 3, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6234 Emergency Department 4, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6235 Emergency Department 5, UTHSCSA, University Hospital*
MEM6336 Emergency Department 6, UTHSCSA, University Hospital*
MEM6337 Emergency Department 7, UTHSCSA, University Hospital*
MEM6338 Emergency Department 8, UTHSCSA, University Hospital*
MEM6439 Pediatrics Emergency Department, Santa Rosa Children’s Hospital
MEM6440 Pediatrics Emergency Department, Santa Rosa Children’s Hospital
MEM6341 Elective, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6142 Radiology, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6143 Oral Maxillary Facial Surgery, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6144 Toxicology, Central Texas Poison Center, Waco, Texas
MEM6145 Emergency Ultrasound, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6346 Clinical Research, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6447 Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU)
MEM6448 Medicine Intensive Care Unit (MICU), Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6449 Cardiac Care Unit, Brooke Army Medical Center
MEM6450 Trauma Surgery, UTHSCSA, University Hospital*​
*University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and University Hospital, San Antonio, Texas​

Well I can tell you that getting a clinical doctorate in the military will increase promotion opportunities for PAs (O-6 and beyond). Now as far as how this will play out in the civilian sector, well lets just say people have a different viewpoint...;)

I used to work at UTHSCSA (ICUs, ED) and WHMC (ED). Did a few rotations at BAMC (burn unit, ED) as well. This program is serious and intense. You will get trained up and I mean more than just the online research experience...

-milmed PA-S
(14 years and counting)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there are any plans to offer something similar in the civilian sector? The residency looks amazing. The experience would be so very valuable...

Does anyone know if there are any plans to offer something similar in the civilian sector? The residency looks amazing. The experience would be so very valuable...

If you mean the DScPA then no, not at this time. Not yet anyways.

If you mean EM PA residencies then check out appap.org.

I spoke with the program director in person at an em conference last april and asked him if they would ever accept civilians.
his answer: "not a chance in hell".

There are some great residencies out there, but nothing compares to this. I don't really care about the degree, but I would love to be able to do a residency in EM like that!! None of the current residencies even compare. Maybe by the time I get around to graduating, some PA residencies will increase in length and intensity.

there are some great residencies out there, but nothing compares to this. I don't really care about the degree, but i would love to be able to do a residency in em like that!! None of the current residencies even compare. Maybe by the time i get around to graduating, some pa residencies will increase in length and intensity.

there already are a few that are as long or longer....hopkins, einstein, etc