Thoughts on these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tn Family MD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, folks. I have come to the end of my rope and have decided to switch programs. I am re-applying through ERAS for a residency position in another program. I am even prepared to repeat intern year if the program I match at so desires. So, at this point I have applied to only ten programs. Here they are:

1. University of Alabama - Huntsville
2. University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
3. University of Arkansas - Fort Smith
4. Halifax - Daytona Beach, Florida
5. Louisiana State - Shreveport Rural program (Vivian)
6. Louisiana State - Shreveport Main Program
7. Research Family Medicine - Kansas City, Missouri
8. University of Missouri - Kansas City - Truman
9. Spartanburg Regional - Spartanburg, South Carolina
10. John Peter Smith - Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

I guess I should give you the type of training I desire and how I see my future practice. First, In my private practice I want to do full spectrum Family Medicine. This will include Outpatient visits for adults and kids, Inpatient medicine for both adults and children including some low level ICU care, as well as low and moderate risk Obstetric care including Operative Obstetrics. The Operative Obstetrics is an absolute must, as I absolutely am not willing to sacrifice that as part of my practice. That being said, I am willing to do an extra year or two of training in an OB Fellowship if necessary. I certainly want to do procedure heavy work as well. While I realize that I may or may not incorporate all of the procedures I learn in residency into my eventual private practice, I do have the desire to learn a broad a range of procedures as possible so that I may pick and choose those I like to perform and desire to offer my patients.

So, which of these is most consistent with those goals? Anyone here have any experience with any of these programs?

In particular, I would like to hear about LSU - Shreveport (both programs) as they have already offered me an interview and I am having a difficult time perusing their website well enough to glean any truly helpful information. However, I definitely want to hear about the rest of the programs as I am very interested in all of them. Also, if anyone has any suggestions of other programs in the same general vicinity as those listed that may mesh well with my goals, please offer them up as suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

7. Research Family Medicine - Kansas City, Missouri
8. University of Missouri - Kansas City - Truman

UMKC will give you TONS of OB experience and prides itself in that. It also has a fellowship for operative OB. Even with all that, it still has a reasonable lifestyle-friendly atmosphere.

Research is a good program, but doesn't emphasize OB as much. There is an OB track which is cool, but UMKC is where you want to be for OB.

Good luck. Hope all is well.

I went to LSU-Shreveport for medical school and I interviewed at Tuscaloosa, Spartanburg, Halifax, and Bayfront Hospital in St. Petersburg where I am doing my residency. PM me and I'll answer any specific questions you have. From what you are saying you want to do I would think that the Vivian program at LSU or Spartanburg would be your best bet. At Vivian, Dr. Haynes (I believe that is his name) does every procedure you could possible want to do including Lap Chole's. He published an article about his complication rates compared to the teaching hospital a few years ago in American Journal of Family Practice, pretty interesting reading. Spartanburg has a pretty big program as well as an OB fellowship. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you giving up on that desire to apply for General Surgery?

are you giving up on that desire to apply for General Surgery?

Nope. I am applying to both. I've gone through this process once and feel like I need to maximize this opportunity. I would be plenty happy to do either. If I do FM, it absolutely has to be one of those places that can get me trained to do colonoscopy, EGD, C-Section, and all the procedural skills that I really want. However, I also have a keen interest in doing surgical training. I think it is most prudent of me to have a look at both and see which I most fit with. I'd say right now, I am leaning overall to General Surgery. However, I would also be very happy to land at one of the FM programs that do all the higher level procedural training as well. Either way, I am going rural so I think either would be a good fit in that setting. But, I don't expect others to understand me so if you don't that's OK. Like I have said in other threads, there are a ton of reasons for both/either that range from personal to public to intensely private. Some are up for discussion and some are not.

Nope. I am applying to both. I've gone through this process once and feel like I need to maximize this opportunity. I would be plenty happy to do either. If I do FM, it absolutely has to be one of those places that can get me trained to do colonoscopy, EGD, C-Section, and all the procedural skills that I really want. However, I also have a keen interest in doing surgical training. I think it is most prudent of me to have a look at both and see which I most fit with. I'd say right now, I am leaning overall to General Surgery. However, I would also be very happy to land at one of the FM programs that do all the higher level procedural training as well. Either way, I am going rural so I think either would be a good fit in that setting. But, I don't expect others to understand me so if you don't that's OK. Like I have said in other threads, there are a ton of reasons for both/either that range from personal to public to intensely private. Some are up for discussion and some are not.

Hey man, I feel you, I ultimately ending up choosing between surg or a surg subspecialty and FM. They're really not all that dissimilar especially if you're practicing rurally. I've done both in the boonies and besides the surgeon spending more time in the OR and having a greater breadth of procedures they were quite similar. I'm sure you already know this...

I'm surprised, though, at some of the big name "cowboy" programs you left off the list. I'm guessing you're limiting yourself geographically, right? Good luck!!

Just got my invite to JPS - Ft Worth. Man, I am so excited I can hardly stand it. This ROCKS!

Good luck to you. I can't pretend to imagine what thoughts/feelings you're having. It just struck me as a touch odd that you're so into GS on the surgery forum and so into FM on this forum. However, where I went to med school, while a rural program, didn't offer a lot of the more cowboy training which you mention. Thus, hard for me to invision the style of FM training you're looking for.