Thoughts on this MCAT study strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm finishing up a Kaplan course a month before I take the MCAT and by then I should be pretty solid content-wise. I was thinking of doing all 8 AAMC practice tests in that month. Is that too crammed or is it just enough to get me in the right mindset?

Also, some people say the self assessment package is more accurate than the actual AAMC FL's, should I do the SAP's after the practice tests or before?

Best regards

Members don't see this ad.

The way I studied the final month before the MCAT after a TPR course: take test, next day review that test, next day take another test, next day review that test, repeat, repeat.

I took 15 exams that month including the actual MCAT. 8 is not too many.

Cool thanks!

Looking back, do you think you might have benefited from a day or two off? Or did you benefit from being completely immersed in MCAT?

I took the official AAMC practice tests back-to-back in about 10 days. While intense, I think this immersion helped me get a better feel for how MCAT test writers think and see the patterns in question logic that were conserved from test to test.

I did SA after initial content review and before practice AAMCs. SAs are quite comprehensive and a good way to target your content review to make sure your understanding of important topics is up to par.

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth, I would personally recommend taking the full length in the morning, take a break, review it at night. I found it better than taking the test one day and reviewing it the next because by then I would forget my reasoning for some of the questions, which made pinpointing my weaknesses a bit more difficult. I think it's best to review the test while it's still relatively fresh in your mind (ie. later that day/night). It also means you can take day or two 'off' in between to lightly review necessary material or just relax. Lastly, I recommend not doing too much prep a day or two before your actual test. Good luck!

Cool thanks!

Looking back, do you think you might have benefited from a day or two off? Or did you benefit from being completely immersed in MCAT?

Days off are for people who score in less than the 90th percentile (jk) (not really).

Take a break after the MCAT. Pour yourself into this. It matters!

Reactions: 1 user