Thoughts on this volunteering gig?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kopftonmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This summer I've been working at my town's community farm as a volunteer. I've been really enjoying it and hoping to continue it for the next couple of years if I can, but I'm also curious how this might be perceived by adcoms.

The farm grows organic produce for the town food pantry, as well as other organizations in that same vein throughout the metro area. Sometimes some of the disadvantaged people we provide food for come to the farm and we meet with them and show them around and they help a bit, but otherwise (and besides the other people working on the farm) there isn't much interpersonal contact, though it fills a need.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

giphy.gif

Here's the pat on the back you're looking for

Here's how you sell it:
You enjoy gardening
You want to help people
People who can't afford food usually eat cheap processed foods and very little fresh produce
You use your skill as a gardener to help people get the fresh produce they need to be healthy and well fed.
Win.Win.

Not much different than someone who enjoys cooking and does so in a soup kitchen. Having done that, I know that very little time is spent face to face with the diners compared with the amount of time spent with a knife and/or a hot stove.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like a cool gig, and you're passionate about it, which is a huge plus.

It's usually recommended that you have some non-clinical volunteering, but you should probably have just as much if not more clinical volunteering. So don't use this as your primary volunteering. And don't let it suck up so much time it keeps you out of the hospital.

giphy.gif

Here's the pat on the back you're looking for
Why tf did you pick this thread out of ALL preallo to do this in? Go away.

OP, sounds pretty cool. Get some good number of hours and you will have something unique and interesting for an interview!

Hi everyone!

This summer I've been working at my town's community farm as a volunteer. I've been really enjoying it and hoping to continue it for the next couple of years if I can, but I'm also curious how this might be perceived by adcoms.

The farm grows organic produce for the town food pantry, as well as other organizations in that same vein throughout the metro area. Sometimes some of the disadvantaged people we provide food for come to the farm and we meet with them and show them around and they help a bit, but otherwise (and besides the other people working on the farm) there isn't much interpersonal contact, though it fills a need.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

One summer is enough.