Thoughts on Unbalanced Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful126

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone? Looking for some honest advice here. I'm probably going to retake my MCAT, but I'd like some feedback before I make a final decision. I got my scores back a while ago and got a 508 (130/124/125/129). It's super unbalanced so that's why I'm worried. I have a 3.7 gpa and 3.7 science gpa if that helps put my situation into perspective. I'm honestly not looking for any top tier schools by any means, I'd be happy with any MD program and I'm definitely willing to apply to DO. Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

With both your GPA and MCAT being below average at most MD schools, and with the MCAT being unbalanced, you would need strong ECs/LORs to get a solid shot at getting multiple interviews.

There is a shot that you could get a few interviews as your stats are, but the more you get the better your odds are for an acceptance.

For reference, I send back 11 secondaries, received 6 invites, went to 5, and just received my first and only acceptance last week.

I have yet to hear from 1 school, I am waitlisted at another, and at the remaining 2 I am on a post-interview deferment.

Save yourself the anxiety. Apply with your best foot forward and EARLY (I applied from Aug to October, 2/10 would not reccomend).

With both your GPA and MCAT being below average at most MD schools, and with the MCAT being unbalanced, you would need strong ECs/LORs to get a solid shot at getting multiple interviews.

There is a shot that you could get a few interviews as your stats are, but the more you get the better your odds are for an acceptance.

For reference, I send back 11 secondaries, received 6 invites, went to 5, and just received my first and only acceptance last week.

I have yet to hear from 1 school, I am waitlisted at another, and at the remaining 2 I am on a post-interview deferment.

Save yourself the anxiety. Apply with your best foot forward and EARLY (I applied from Aug to October, 2/10 would not reccomend).
Thanks for the response! I definitely agree that I should apply early for MD if I'm to have a chance. I'm also going to apply to a bunch of DO schools. Did you have any experience applying to Osteopathic schools as well?