Thoughts on Volunteering Abroad? Anyone used IVHQ/Maximo Nivel? How are they?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richanesthesiologist

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently planning a medical mission trip to Guatemala for a pre-med organization on my campus. Has anyone used IVHQ before for medical volunteering? We will only be going for a week (during the break between Spring and Summer Semesters) and will actually be visiting different clinics throughout the area. The cost is $1000 total for everything, which is about 50%-100% cheaper than other similar programs by AMSA, etc.

Is it not so much voluntourism since I planned the trip (showed leadership). All we will be doing is observing.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently planning a medical mission trip to Guatemala for a pre-med organization on my campus. Has anyone used IVHQ before for medical volunteering? We will only be going for a week (during the break between Spring and Summer Semesters) and will actually be visiting different clinics throughout the area. The cost is $1000 total for everything, which is about 50%-100% cheaper than other similar programs by AMSA, etc.

Is it not so much voluntourism since I planned the trip (showed leadership). All we will be doing is observing.

Thanks!
How is it "Volunteering" if you will be essentially observing, which is what tourists do?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
$1000 is enough to have a pretty sick 3 week vacation in Guatemala and will have just as much value, or more, to your app. And you'll contribute more to the people there by just traveling.

I did 3 weeks of vacation in Colombia for $1000 (including airfare, lodging, ubers, busses etc.). Practiced my spanish, stayed in some hostels, met some spicy latina chicks, and went salsa dancing. All things that have been mentioned as unique in my app!

If you are in leadership in this org, I would recommend setting up a volunteer service at a free clinic near your university or the nearest large urban center. It would be much more impactful for those you serve and can help familiarize your colleagues with the need of those here in the states, because we assume you end up wanting to practice in the US and not Guatemala.

Reactions: 1 users
The wise @gonnif has posted multiple times as to why volunteering overseas is a bad idea. It's viewed by ***Adcoms as medical tourism
***some

caveat emptor. It's been a plus at all my interviews. Granted, my experience was a little different, and to be sure none of @gonnif's quoted concerns ("...invasive procedures include giving vaccinations, suturing an injury, pulling teeth, and delivering a baby...") were conducted.

This has been beaten to death on SDN. Use the search bar to look at threads, then decide for yourself!

I have always wondered this, as many people (even some friends of mine) at my school do this on a yearly basis. Every premed club or fraternity at most universities, even at the top ones with very established premed advising and committees, seem adamant about setting up these week or 2 week long "international experiences" in places like South America and Central America. I even see on my facebook feed stuff about going to Europe or Australia and shadowing doctors full-time for a couple of weeks and volunteering!

Why would people purposely spend 1-2k on a week or two of experiences that A. don't count as clinical experience cause it's international B. hard to pull off in a PS and C. there appears to be a good chance it might even hurt your application?

For 1-2k I could go to backpacking in Europe for several weeks with friends and have more exciting experiences!

@Goro Does this ever come up in interviews that you have with applicants?

In fact, there are programs where you can volunteer WITHIN the states over a spring break or a winter break in various impoverished and under-resourced areas around the country. That way you can volunteer, AND see different parts of the country in a realistic, non-tourist manner. This isn't an insult on anyone that does seek out these expensive international trips but I just don't see the rationale behind it!

I have always wondered this, as many people (even some friends of mine) at my school do this on a yearly basis. Every premed club or fraternity at most universities, even at the top ones with very established premed advising and committees, seem adamant about setting up these week or 2 week long "international experiences" in places like South America and Central America. I even see on my facebook feed stuff about going to Europe or Australia and shadowing doctors full-time for a couple of weeks and volunteering!

Why would people purposely spend 1-2k on a week or two of experiences that A. don't count as clinical experience cause it's international B. hard to pull off in a PS and C. there appears to be a good chance it might even hurt your application?

For 1-2k I could go to backpacking in Europe for several weeks with friends and have more exciting experiences!

@Goro Does this ever come up in interviews that you have with applicants?

In fact, there are programs where you can volunteer WITHIN the states over a spring break or a winter break in various impoverished and under-resourced areas around the country. That way you can volunteer, AND see different parts of the country in a realistic, non-tourist manner. This isn't an insult on anyone that does seek out these expensive international trips but I just don't see the rationale behind it!

same... if you want to help the underserved, there are countless people locally who could use your help, why spend thousands to go abroad to do it? i think younger premeds think it'll just make their app look very appealing, I know I did when I was a naive premed lol

Those arent my concerns but rather data from the actual medical schools as collected by AAMC and reported in the executive summary linked above
I happened to tag you because it was in your post, but yes OP, to be clear, that is actual data from medical schools—to which you should defer over and over again as the next cycle nears.

And as the wise gonnif has mentioned numerous time, applying to med school is all about reducing risk.
I disagree with neither of you! Especially about the game of mitigating risk.

However, I dissent a little from the wise ones when it comes to this topic, because (and I've said this before on other posts) when those who dislike medical "volunteering" abroad sit at 35-40%, it means that 65-60% either like it or stand neutral. You are taking a risk—though spun right and researched well, I think it can be a plus. OP's program doesn't seem all that great though, so in this case, I would probably take Gonnif and Goro's advice, unless you find a better program.

Or, perhaps, you can spend what you would've spent on that trip on more applications! Or MCAT materials. Or anything but that. Again, you have many options; you have to choose wisely, however.