Thoughts on Western Michigan Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badskittles

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently debating between Western Michigan's medical school or Geisinger's medical school. I really liked WMU's tour and could see myself be happy at the school. However, it is still relatively new and I am not confident that it can provide me with all the tools that I need. What are your thoughts on WMU? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you answered this question yourself when you said you could see yourself be happy at this school. You've gotten into school so you're more than likely a competent and driven student and you will continue to be one. I believe that you ultimately get what you put in and if you're willing to work you're gonna set yourself up well for Step 1 and residency. I've seen some of my fellow students and close friends get roughed up by coursework and reach rock bottom depression on this journey and now that I'm further along in the process I'm starting to truly understand the importance of personal wellbeing. I extend to you this insight having lost a close friend in this journey. Happiness and wellbeing is often pushed aside because of our drive to achieve and you need to consider that med school and this journey as a whole is a marathon not a sprint. These next 4 years are gonna be tough and you need to be somewhere that you will be comfortable and happy. Take your first impression from interview day and the tour into account. When I interviewed here, the effort and authenticity that was involved in my interactions wowed me.

You asked for thoughts on WMU, so here goes. Looking at the tangibles, WMU is only a couple of years newer than Geisinger and at this point, they have graduated multiple classes of students, and established their footing without any financial issues or probation. They are connected to two different medical systems in Kalamazoo - hospitals with established residency programs that have been running for decades (no need to worry about matching - if somehow you don't perform as well, you can still match at home and be fine). Interesting tidbit I just found, not sure what to make of it. If you go on their general surgery-northeast(main location), all current residents are DO's. Perhaps this is only a DO residency and you have to go to peripheral locations for gen surgery. Not quite sure. Anyways, WMU has a 100% residency match with good residencies across the country. This means that WMU has name recognition across the country and its graduates have performed well. Also, since it's a private school, it can choose students from all over the country and it does. These students go on to match both locally and across the country so I don't think you're limited in that regard.

Its facilities are new and the school itself has sponsorship from the Stryker Corporation (Fortune 500 company that makes medical technology) so money and providing the latest resources aren't issues for them. Because of this financial support it seems that they have put continued effort into responding to student feedback by actually taking action. For example, their new simulation lab is highly touted by both students and the those who know about it.

Their median mcat is 515; solid students go here. And with the smaller class size of 84, even if you excel in your studies, you have the opportunity to receive more personalized attention.

As for Kalamazoo, it's a pretty decent city. Good food and bar scene and lots of activities. And if you want to travel, it's only a 2 hr drive from Detroit or Chicago, shorter with train.

Good luck and congrats!!

Reactions: 1 user