Thoughts on what to do in a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

losnix89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I applied this cycle, so far had 2 interviews - rejected by one, and waitlisted by the other and although I know the cycle is not done yet, I'm trying to start thinking ahead in case I may need to be taking a gap year..

I graduate from undergrad this Spring semester and these are my stats: sGPA: 3.3, oGPA: 3.6, 20 AA, 20 TS, 23 PAT and a great amount of extracurriculars and just got my foot into research and I am thoroughly enjoying it thus far.

For a gap year I have considered 2 options so far: applying by this summer for a 1 year masters or looking into a dental assisting job for a little while.. as well as continuing shadowing, volunteering, and exploring the research field a little more.

Let me know what you think, I didn't think my statistics were bad, if anything they were fairly average but maybe I just need that little extra oomf to gain an acceptance. Open to any thoughts and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying in June so I will be taking a year off and I plan on getting a full time job in the pharma/biotech industry. I heard dental schools love to see this and makes for good talking points in interviews. You have pretty decent stats so I'm not sure if I would go for the masters but thats just me. What schools did you apply to and when did you submit?

In a similar boat as you, similar gpa and stats and I'm also wondering what I should do as well. Love to hear some input.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Find a job, part time or full time, and then continue to volunteer and shadow. I don't think you need to spend money on a masters, but if your parents will pay for one, then I'd do that just for the education!

I graduated in Fall 2017, and I applied Summer 2018. I didn't work in my year off (did a business hustle on the side though) and traveled and visited friends while I shadowed and volunteered when I was home. I got in to 4 out of the 5 schools I interviewed at, two of them brought up the gap year but obviously it wasn't a big deal since I still got in and I had suitable activities to keep me busy and active in my year off.

I'm applying in June so I will be taking a year off and I plan on getting a full time job in the pharma/biotech industry. I heard dental schools love to see this and makes for good talking points in interviews. You have pretty decent stats so I'm not sure if I would go for the masters but thats just me. What schools did you apply to and when did you submit?
Depending on the area you live in, getting jobs in the bio tech or pharmaceutical industry is pretty much impossible with 0 experience and no masters in an applicable field. I had the same aspiration and found nothing in my area in my year off. That can be different if you have connections

Good advice! I was also thinking of possible medical scribing to earn some money and keep myself busy.

I applied to 12 schools (ohsu, temple, UNE, lecom, uf, nova, mwu-il, atsu (arizona and missouri), maryland, utah, roseman) so fairly broad but kept it close to my statistics range. I was rejected from lecom after interview and waitlisted at nova after interview. All other schools I am still either under review or have not heard anything.

Find a job, part time or full time, and then continue to volunteer and shadow. I don't think you need to spend money on a masters, but if your parents will pay for one, then I'd do that just for the education!

I graduated in Fall 2017, and I applied Summer 2018. I didn't work in my year off (did a business hustle on the side though) and traveled and visited friends while I shadowed and volunteered when I was home. I got in to 4 out of the 5 schools I interviewed at, two of them brought up the gap year but obviously it wasn't a big deal since I still got in and I had suitable activities to keep me busy and active in my year off.

Depending on the area you live in, getting jobs in the bio tech or pharmaceutical industry is pretty much impossible with 0 experience and no masters in an applicable field. I had the same aspiration and found nothing in my area in my year off. That can be different if you have connections

Thank you for the feedback! I may not need the masters, but I do love learning and furthering my education and I have money saved from working in undergrad to be able to pay for a masters. I just don't know exactly what part of my application I should focus on improving, stats or experience..

I think your application looks good. If I were you, I would do the dental assisting job and continue to shadow and volunteer and just build your application more on that base. Then, work on doing a couple of mock interviews in your last semester too, since that should be free at your university while you're still there. Revise your personal statement too.
Keep in mind, that if you apply in June or July early, like you should, the schools will have no idea what you are accomplishing in your year off unless they ask in the interview this fall. So you should also be volunteering this Spring and shadowing to build your application even before your gpa year

I personally wouldn't spend your own money on a masters as your science GPA isn't that bad, save that money and apply it to dental school to keep your loans lower. I also would have liked to do a masters just for the education, but they are expensive

Reactions: 1 user
I think your application looks good. If I were you, I would do the dental assisting job and continue to shadow and volunteer and just build your application more on that base. Then, work on doing a couple of mock interviews in your last semester too, since that should be free at your university while you're still there. Revise your personal statement too.
Keep in mind, that if you apply in June or July early, like you should, the schools will have no idea what you are accomplishing in your year off unless they ask in the interview this fall. So you should also be volunteering this Spring and shadowing to build your application even before your gpa year

I personally wouldn't spend your own money on a masters as your science GPA isn't that bad, save that money and apply it to dental school to keep your loans lower. I also would have liked to do a masters just for the education, but they are expensive

Thank you for your input! I will definitely look more into building my resume clinically if I can as well as improving other aspects.

This is true, but apply anyways. I’m currently in biotech (Molecular diagnostics), and the lab assistant position doesn’t even technically require a bachelors. There are always loopholes especially if they don’t have a qualified candidate. If it requires a masters, they may be willing to bring in someone with a bachelors. There aren’t too many laws regarding who can and can’t do what in biotech.

My stats are similar to yours. My DAT AA score was 20 the first time and during my 3rd year I retook it for a AA of 21 for those pre-dent that want to compare their stats. I received on average 3 interviews (wait-listed) for 2 years but I applied to 7 schools mainly in California (Don't do what I did and apply everywhere!).
What I did during my gap years: dental assist, volunteer at food bank, volunteer at clinics, shadow other specialties, work at a dental company (Glidewell, 3M), took a course at a community college for a tiny increase in GPA and to reinforce my basic sciences. Update your application with these info and during your interviews, they may ask about what you've been doing. Good luck!