Thoughts/Reviews about the 2019 Nymeria/SDN 100-Day MCAT study plan for those who used it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage of Pale Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I had a few questions about the 100 day study plan and would love to get feedback/ general thoughts from those who followed it this cycle!

1: I hear TBR is too in depth. Did you think so?

2: Did you do content review from KAPLAN, and questions from TBR or both from TBR and supplemented with KAPLAN? Did you use KA for any content review or only supplement?

3: How long did the "Every Third Problem/Passage" take you for a chapter? How many problem are there in a chapter? How many passages?

4: How long did "Complete Second/Last Third of all Berkeley Review Problems for Chapters in Days X-X " this one seems like it be a lot of problems with a 59 problem Uword block and CARS passages! Is Nymeria a productivity god or am I overestimating the time commitment ( I plan to reserve 8hrs a day for MCAT)

**5: Overall was the amount of material per day manageable in <= 8 Hrs?

6: Your Overall review of the study plan/ changes you made to it.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I did this plan and went from a 505 to a 516 (128, 128, 130, 130). However, I did adjust and adapt the plan to my needs and study strategies.

1. TBR is crazy in depth, however in that large amount of information is some really solid stuff that is going to guarantee you extra points. So I would say use your best judgment on whether or not some topic or problem set is worth the amount of time you are investing in it. I also only used TBR books for physics, chem, and o-chem.

2. I only reference Kaplan for biochem every once in a while. I did do TBR questions, but definitely not all of them. I only used KA for supplement.

3. Doing the every third problem/passage is kind of weird because the problems are given in three problems sets of 15 anyway. So I would just do the first set of 15 the same day as the content review which would take me 20-30 min, and then do the other set at the end of the week, or the next time I studied that subject. I don't think I ever did the third set. This is where I adjusted from the set rules, as I tackled TBR practice problems in my own way.

4.^^^ same as number 3. I would do what problems I thought I needed to do based on how well I grasped the topic, then I would do 1 block of Uworld. I also did not do CARS passages for the first 30 days of the 100 days, I felt that I would get burnt out of CARS if I started too soon. Then toward the end when she has you doing all the final problems for each chapter I just supplemented with 1-2 UWorld blocks because I thought UWorld was much higher yield. I can't stress this enough. Once you are almost done with your content review take days where you do 2 Uworld blocks back to back like it is a half test, then thoroughly review them the next day. If Nymeria followed this plan to a T, then yes she is a productivity god.

5. The amount of material each day starts to become unmanageable.

6. It was around 6 weeks in when I started to burn out. I am the type of sturdier that really likes to review all my right and wrong answers....which takes time. So doing content review, anki cards, UWorld blocks, cars passages, and reviewing everything in a day is just too much on your brain. My biggest piece of advice is to use this plan as a template and figure out a schedule that works for you. It was at the 6 week mark that I actually took 7 full days off to let my brain recover. I had 2-3 days in a row of studying where I just felt like I wasn't retaining anything and that my brain was fried because I had been studying 10+ hours a day for 6 weeks. Without taking that break I would have went insane. After my break my content review was close to done, so I finished my content review and started burning through what was left of U world. At the 70ish day mark is when I switched to doing only AAMC material. in that 30 days I completed all of the AAMC material and 5 practice tests.

In conclusion, start this plan knowing that you are going to adjust it, but above all, take care of yourself while doing it or you will burn out. If you do burn out, its ok to give yourself some time off. I think the whole point of this plan is to build confidence and endurance when it comes to test day. With that built confidence and endurance test day should feel like just another day at the office, and if it does I'm sure you will kill it.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the detail, it's is very helpful! I have about 102 days from the time I start studying to when my MCAT test date is (including the 1 day off every 7 days) so hopefully I do not need a week break!

I guess when you are doing ANKI, going back is a tad redundant.

Do you have any tips for avoiding burnout on a tight schedule (including the 1 day break every 7 days)?

Also how did you memorize equations? Did you memorize an equation sheet and recreate it?

Thanks again!

I used a hybrid of Nymeria's plan and KoalaT's plan. I took more than 100 days and based it in part on the schedule in the back of one of the TBR books. I spent about one week pre-studying (as mentioned in this thread.) I never really stuck to a schedule in the typical sense, but I kept track of how much I was getting done each week and I set weekly goals every Sunday night. In essence, my schedule was constantly in flux but I knew what I had to get done and by when.

There are some section in the biology that got a bit convoluted, but for the most part the depth is overrated. I found they repeated some topics multiple times in different subjects, so what seemed in depth early in my studies evolved into a great way to keep material fresh in my mind by the later weeks. Looking back on it, I'd say it was the perfect depth. Make sure you take great notes on all of their shortcuts and strategies, especially when you see them in answer explanations. Those are pure gold.

2: Did you do content review from KAPLAN, and questions from TBR or both from TBR and supplemented with KAPLAN? Did you use KA for any content review or only supplement?
I stuck with TBR for science review and used them for both content and passages. The important thing is that you learn how to apply information and not just try to absorb it. What worked for me was their focus on explaining how to think quickly and systematically on questions. I did look at EK a few weeks before my test to get some more questions, but found that their explanations were not helpful. It was reassuring, though, to see that the tricks I got from TBR worked on EK and AAMC questions.

3: How long did the "Every Third Problem/Passage" take you for a chapter? How many problem are there in a chapter? How many passages?
I didn't do the "every third problem." I followed their phases, doing phase 1 right after reading the chapter. I did phase 2 a week later and then phase 3 when I finished the book. Definitely do it that way to make sure you don't forget material after you move on to a new subject. It took me on average three hours to work though the chapters and all of the questions in the chapter. Phase 1s take 35 minutes to do and an hour to review. Phases 2 and 3 take more time because they're longer. I can't recall which books had the long phase 2s and shorter phase 3s, but they are not consistent book to book.

4: How long did "Complete Second/Last Third of all Berkeley Review Problems for Chapters in Days X-X " this one seems like it be a lot of problems with a 59 problem Uword block and CARS passages! Is Nymeria a productivity god or am I overestimating the time commitment ( I plan to reserve 8hrs a day for MCAT)
I addressed that in my response to 3, but I'll add that in total I probably spent two and a half hours doing all three phases and four to five hours going over them. Do not skimp on time spent going over them.

It will vary day to day. I tried to do four study blocks per day, each dedicated to something different (like a reading section or a phase 1.) This made it go by faster and more efficiently. I never logged hours, but I'm sure I was putting in 8 hours a day on average. Don't pay attention to the time, pay attention to what you accomplish. I made a weekly checklist on my whiteboard and it felt so wonderful to cross things off as I did them.

I used the following books: Chemistry, Organic, Biology, and Physics were TBR for review and practice passages. EK and TBR for CARS. TPR and the 300-doc for P/S. I did the AAMC material once I was done nearly all of my phase 3s in TBR and all my P/S and CARS passages from TPR. I made it a point to not look back at anything and always try new questions I'd never seen before.

The plan works if you stick to it. According to my advisor I was supposed to get a 504. I ended up getting a 516 (132/122/132/130) and I contribute my success in C/P and B/B completely to TBR and AAMC materials in that order. It wasn't easy and at times I felt crushed. You have to power through the pain some days. Most days were good and I dare say some were fun. As I was doing practice FLs I started to really enjoy trying to outsmart the passages.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I used a hybrid of Nymeria's plan and KoalaT's plan. I took more than 100 days and based it in part on the schedule in the back of one of the TBR books. I spent about one week pre-studying (as mentioned in this thread.) I never really stuck to a schedule in the typical sense, but I kept track of how much I was getting done each week and I set weekly goals every Sunday night. In essence, my schedule was constantly in flux but I knew what I had to get done and by when.

There are some section in the biology that got a bit convoluted, but for the most part the depth is overrated. I found they repeated some topics multiple times in different subjects, so what seemed in depth early in my studies evolved into a great way to keep material fresh in my mind by the later weeks. Looking back on it, I'd say it was the perfect depth. Make sure you take great notes on all of their shortcuts and strategies, especially when you see them in answer explanations. Those are pure gold.

I stuck with TBR for science review and used them for both content and passages. The important thing is that you learn how to apply information and not just try to absorb it. What worked for me was their focus on explaining how to think quickly and systematically on questions. I did look at EK a few weeks before my test to get some more questions, but found that their explanations were not helpful. It was reassuring, though, to see that the tricks I got from TBR worked on EK and AAMC questions.

I didn't do the "every third problem." I followed their phases, doing phase 1 right after reading the chapter. I did phase 2 a week later and then phase 3 when I finished the book. Definitely do it that way to make sure you don't forget material after you move on to a new subject. It took me on average three hours to work though the chapters and all of the questions in the chapter. Phase 1s take 35 minutes to do and an hour to review. Phases 2 and 3 take more time because they're longer. I can't recall which books had the long phase 2s and shorter phase 3s, but they are not consistent book to book.

I addressed that in my response to 3, but I'll add that in total I probably spent two and a half hours doing all three phases and four to five hours going over them. Do not skimp on time spent going over them.

It will vary day to day. I tried to do four study blocks per day, each dedicated to something different (like a reading section or a phase 1.) This made it go by faster and more efficiently. I never logged hours, but I'm sure I was putting in 8 hours a day on average. Don't pay attention to the time, pay attention to what you accomplish. I made a weekly checklist on my whiteboard and it felt so wonderful to cross things off as I did them.

I used the following books: Chemistry, Organic, Biology, and Physics were TBR for review and practice passages. EK and TBR for CARS. TPR and the 300-doc for P/S. I did the AAMC material once I was done nearly all of my phase 3s in TBR and all my P/S and CARS passages from TPR. I made it a point to not look back at anything and always try new questions I'd never seen before.

The plan works if you stick to it. According to my advisor I was supposed to get a 504. I ended up getting a 516 (132/122/132/130) and I contribute my success in C/P and B/B completely to TBR and AAMC materials in that order. It wasn't easy and at times I felt crushed. You have to power through the pain some days. Most days were good and I dare say some were fun. As I was doing practice FLs I started to really enjoy trying to outsmart the passages.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Thank you! I appreciate the depth in your advice!

I also had a question concerning the UWorld question blocks. The first block of UWorld questions is scheduled on Day 7. As someone who hasn't touched Physics or Chemistry in years and would need significant content review, wouldn't the questions be way too difficult if I've only reviewed the first chapter of info? Or is there a way on UWorld to selectively filter for certain topics (e.g. Physics --> Translational motion)?

I also had a question concerning the UWorld question blocks. The first block of UWorld questions is scheduled on Day 7. As someone who hasn't touched Physics or Chemistry in years and would need significant content review, wouldn't the questions be way too difficult if I've only reviewed the first chapter of info? Or is there a way on UWorld to selectively filter for certain topics (e.g. Physics --> Translational motion)?

I'd put it off if you're not ready. Do the TBR assignments and learn the nuances of the material. I learned more from TBR than UWorld (I actually stopped using UWorld about half way because TBR was better at explaining how to apply the information.) UWorld's strength is with P/S, so do those early. UWorld was not as helpful for chemistry or physics, so you may even consider skipping them. Don't skip TBR chemistry and physics and be sure to do all of the AAMC materials.

I am trying to do this schedule with a full time job. I can't get to 8 hours a day yet, but I am able to manage 5-7 hours a day. For P/S I am using the 300 page KA doc since it has great reviews, and I am not focusing on Uworld at all since I cant manage to fit that in. I am taking the last 2 months before my test off work to be able to focus solely on MCAT and luckily I got that approved. I know working while prepping for the MCAT is not ideal, but that's just life, I need to work to support my family so trying to do the best I can.

My question for this schedule is regarding the use of both TBR biology II and Kaplan biochem. Isn't that redundant since TBR Bio II is the biochem/microbio portion of the review and Kaplan biochem is bicohem as well? Is there a reason for that "redundancy"? Does the Kaplan book offer any additional insight that is missed in TBR Bio II? Would it be more optimized to do TBR Bio I and Kaplan Biochem, or just ditch Kaplan biochem and use the two TBR bio books?

Let me know if you can provide any insight on this since I can use that 'extra' biochem day to catch up on other MCAT things if it is not really needed.

Appreciate all the help!

To be honest depending on how strong your bio background is I would just skip TBR bio all together. I felt pretty strong in my bio so I just used UWorld and AAMC for practice. UWorld helped a lot since I was good, but if I missed a question or was rusty on a topic their explanations helped a lot. Also I used the Kaplan biochem because it is much more concise than TBR, it gives you what you need an nothing more. If you review the Kaplan biochem book and then do the UWorld biochem you should be good. There is also a biochem assays review sheet floating around somewhere on reddit that was super helpful. It goes over all you need to know for the respective organic and biochem assays such as HPLC, NMR, proteins electrophoresis, etc.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users