thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful.girl26

Reaction score
hi everyone! I posted in July, but just took my DAT last week. Please let me know what you think my odds are. I'm very hard on myself and I'm trying to uplift myself but I feel like my reality isn't going to be what I want. should I submit more applications? is my fate already decided for me? I really don't want to take a gap year, but I'm nervous I may need to after this year.
I'm going to apply to some dental hygiene programs as well just in case this cycle doesn't work out in my favor.
thanks in advance :)

Date of AADSAS submission: June 30, 2020
Overall GPA: 3.291
Science GPA: 3.1
DAT score (include AA and all sections): took August 14 --> AA: 16 TS: 16 BIO: 16 GC: 15 OC: 15 PAT: 18 RC: 20 QR: 14
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended: FDU
Major: Biology
Minor: Spanish, Chemistry, Forensics
Minority? no
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: general dentistry, forensic odontology, tmj treatment 150+ hrs

Volunteering Experience: co-founded and still host a suicide prevention and mental health awareness volleyball tournament annually at my high school; director of philanthropy and service in my sorority (coordinate events for breast cancer awareness and education); park cleanups; breast cancer walks; volunteer softball coach and pitching instructor

Employment: academic support center student worker (free tutoring center on campus), athletic department student worker, American eagle sales associate, pizzeria counter server, food truck and festival food service, catering waitress

Research: sadly none yet

Other Extracurriculars: collegiate varsity softball my first two years of undergrad (1st team all conference, all conference honor roll recipient), active member of a sorority, active member of national biological honor society, science club member, greek senate representative of my chapter

Relevant Honors or Awards: multiple dean's list designations, honors list recognition, student-athlete academic honor roll, member of tri-beta national biological honor society, colonel f. Dickinson scholarship, frank mormino scholarship

LOR type and strength: pre professional committee composite letter from my university (level of recommendation: recommended), high quality letter from the dentist I shadowed

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: I experienced a serious trauma and had a few hiccup classes that tanked my GPA really hard from my mental health. I believe my overall academic record is competitive because of the difficulty of classes I have taken, and because of the way I have overcome adversity. I am retaking one of the badly marked courses this coming semester, which should bring my GPA up significantly.

School list:
  • Rutgers University UMDNJ
  • Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine (GSDM)
  • LECOM School of Dental Medicine
  • SUNY Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
  • Touro College of Dental Medicine
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
  • The University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
  • Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
  • Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
  • Midwestern University

Members don't see this ad.

How long is the dental hygienist program? Google says 2 years at least? You don't want to take a gap year but you are willing to do two years of schooling to become a hygienist? Is that instead of dentistry? If you truly want to pursue dentistry, I would highly suggest either taking the gap year and figuring out how to destroy the DAT or doing a post bacc/masters to improve the GPA.. Sorry to say but with your grades and scores I really don't see you getting too far in this current cycle. Extracurriculars/honors look great and I'm sure you have a lot to tell in your personal statement and in interviews but the grades and score are lacking.

I'm currently in my gap year and its not the worst thing.. You get to make some money, hang out with friends and family without school/homework lingering in your head, and you can get more volunteering/shadowing done.. perhaps get some stolid DAT studying in if you do decide to retake. You'll figure it out, don't jump into anything because you are afraid of taking some time off!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long is the dental hygienist program? Google says 2 years at least? You don't want to take a gap year but you are willing to do two years of schooling to become a hygienist? Is that instead of dentistry? If you truly want to pursue dentistry, I would highly suggest either taking the gap year and figuring out how to destroy the DAT or doing a post bacc/masters to improve the GPA.. Sorry to say but with your grades and scores I really don't see you getting too far in this current cycle. Extracurriculars/honors look great and I'm sure you have a lot to tell in your personal statement and in interviews but the grades and score are lacking.

I'm currently in my gap year and its not the worst thing.. You get to make some money, hang out with friends and family without school/homework lingering in your head, and you can get more volunteering/shadowing done.. perhaps get some stolid DAT studying in if you do decide to retake. You'll figure it out, don't jump into anything because you are afraid of taking some time off!

Thanks for your feedback! I'm pursuing the hygiene programs for more experience in the field and to make sure I'm really prepared before starting another application cycle. My end goal is to still pursue dentistry, but my family and I don't have the means to put me through postbacc or masters right now and hygiene programs are much less expensive. The hygiene programs I've looked into will take some credits from my bachelors so I might be able to finish sooner than 2 years.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm pursuing the hygiene programs for more experience in the field and to make sure I'm really prepared before starting another application cycle. My end goal is to still pursue dentistry, but my family and I don't have the means to put me through postbacc or masters right now and hygiene programs are much less expensive. The hygiene programs I've looked into will take some credits from my bachelors so I might be able to finish sooner than 2 years.
Have you considered becoming a dental assistant? Some are certified but I’ve also seen other who learn on the job prior to any certification or training.. personally I would try to find something along those lines. Call around and see if there are any opportunities that would allow you to work ASAP and get that dental experience and then plan on studying for the DAT whenever you can to be ready for the next cycle.. you could just about have a years worth of experience and pay before the next cycle! Of course if that’s not what you wanna do then the hygienist option is good too, if you don’t mind the extra time education. Just an idea!

hi everyone! I posted in July, but just took my DAT last week. Please let me know what you think my odds are. I'm very hard on myself and I'm trying to uplift myself but I feel like my reality isn't going to be what I want. should I submit more applications? is my fate already decided for me? I really don't want to take a gap year, but I'm nervous I may need to after this year.
I'm going to apply to some dental hygiene programs as well just in case this cycle doesn't work out in my favor.
thanks in advance :)

Date of AADSAS submission: June 30, 2020
Overall GPA: 3.291
Science GPA: 3.1
DAT score (include AA and all sections): took August 14 --> AA: 16 TS: 16 BIO: 16 GC: 15 OC: 15 PAT: 18 RC: 20 QR: 14
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended: FDU
Major: Biology
Minor: Spanish, Chemistry, Forensics
Minority? no
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: general dentistry, forensic odontology, tmj treatment 150+ hrs

Volunteering Experience: co-founded and still host a suicide prevention and mental health awareness volleyball tournament annually at my high school; director of philanthropy and service in my sorority (coordinate events for breast cancer awareness and education); park cleanups; breast cancer walks; volunteer softball coach and pitching instructor

Employment: academic support center student worker (free tutoring center on campus), athletic department student worker, American eagle sales associate, pizzeria counter server, food truck and festival food service, catering waitress

Research: sadly none yet

Other Extracurriculars: collegiate varsity softball my first two years of undergrad (1st team all conference, all conference honor roll recipient), active member of a sorority, active member of national biological honor society, science club member, greek senate representative of my chapter

Relevant Honors or Awards: multiple dean's list designations, honors list recognition, student-athlete academic honor roll, member of tri-beta national biological honor society, colonel f. Dickinson scholarship, frank mormino scholarship

LOR type and strength: pre professional committee composite letter from my university (level of recommendation: recommended), high quality letter from the dentist I shadowed

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: I experienced a serious trauma and had a few hiccup classes that tanked my GPA really hard from my mental health. I believe my overall academic record is competitive because of the difficulty of classes I have taken, and because of the way I have overcome adversity. I am retaking one of the badly marked courses this coming semester, which should bring my GPA up significantly.

School list:
  • Rutgers University UMDNJ
  • Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine (GSDM)
  • LECOM School of Dental Medicine
  • SUNY Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
  • Touro College of Dental Medicine
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
  • The University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
  • Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
  • Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
  • Midwestern University
Some schools have DAT minimums, both AA and specific sections. You are likely below that with some schools with 15’s in OC, GC and a 14 in QR. Not to mention that those are absolute minimums and not what you need to be competitive. Check the schools you applied to and see if they have DAT minimums (Compilation of DAT minimum requirements ("cut-offs"))

Both your GPA and DAT would indicate to adcoms that you likely couldn’t handle the rigors of dental school. In order to combat that you’ll need a high masters GPA or postbacc GPA and a DAT retake with significant improvements in your science sections and QR.

you’ve already applied so you might as well see how the cycle goes, but look at postbacc/Masters programs and prep for a DAT retake and crush it.

Gonna be brutally honest, your DAT needs major work. You probably won't get many interviews, if any at all.

You will most likely have to take a gap year (or 2). Like you, I have a low GPA (3.2 both Science and Total), but my DAT helped compensate.

Take some time to really crack down and study for the DAT and try to get an AA of 22+ with no scores below 19. For myself, I studied roughly 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, for 2 months prior to DAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Your stats are not competitive this cycle, but if you can improve you might be competitive for next cycle. I suggest you do an exhaustive study of the DAT, studying hard everyday for 3-6 months until you consistently score high on the practice materials and are confident you can score 20+ in every section. Do this first. After you’ve done this you might also consider starting a masters in science (You may not need this since your extracurriculars are strong, but will increase your chances). You can apply next cycle while you’re in this masters program, just keep your masters GPA high (3.7+) throughout.

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely need to retake the DAT - it is way below average. The DAT is considered an equalizer and is used to compare the difficulty of courses between schools, basically. If someone went to a really tough school or took really tough classes and their GPA was low but they did well on their DAT, it shows they know their stuff. Your situation is not like this because both your GPA + your DAT are low. It'd be much quicker to raise your DAT score than to raise your GPAs, so I would suggest retaking it early next year and applying early next cycle when you have new scores in hand.

Also something I wanted to point out was that AADSAS does not do grade replacement so even though you are retaking classes, they might not bring your GPA up as significantly as you may think. So just keep that in mind and maybe look into a formal/informal post-bacc program to help solidify your background in the sciences, which would help you on the DAT too.

Reactions: 1 users
^artist is right. An informal post bacc may be more suitable for you rather than a masters given that your GPAs could be raised to a competitive level with just a couple of very solid semesters (4.0 or close) of science classes.