Thousands Of Toddlers Are Medicated For A.D.H.D., Report Finds, Raising Worries

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Oreo Milk Shake, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Oreo Milk Shake

Oreo Milk Shake 7+ Year Member

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'd rather Ritalin than Risperdal. Those neuroleptic treatments for really young kids bum me out.

Dalteparin likes this.
  4. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 "Bubs Depot!" 10+ Year Member

Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
    Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    This phenomenon runs through the entire academic system. I spoke out to my preceptor once while in pharmacy school about getting nothing out of his rotation (Omnicare; I put pills in boxes for 10 hours, then went home) He kicked me out due to insubordination. (As I was told, I was "saying stuff" to people, but offered no details when I inquired.)

The school wouldn't let me come back unless I was on Adderall. I don't have ADD. I just played along, even on here because I knew they read this board, because I wanted to GTFO of that abusive relationship ASAP. Do I actually need Adderall? Pfft, no. I do a shade under a hundred Readyfills every night (which are boring, monotonous), I do them quickly, and I've made few mistakes. An unmedication person with ADD can't do that.

I feel for these kids, I really do.

jafx, Oreo Milk Shake and Jibby321 like this.
  5. Jibby321

Jibby321 Ready or Not...... 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    ADHD= crock of ****. Get a belt out and discipline those kids and they will pay attention. That's how it was for me and I turned out fine. ;)

6. Digsbe

Digsbe 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think some people legitimately have ADD/ADHD and benefit from meds, but I do think it's over used. Some schools or parents just want a prescription babysitter, my dad was put on Ritalin as a kid by recommendation from the school and he in no way has or had ADHD, they just didn't want young kids to have energy and be easy to control.

7. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    SDN
    Author
    hSDN
    Well if it worked for you it should work for everyone.

8. Jibby321

Jibby321 Ready or Not...... 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I sense sarcasm on my sarcasm. :-X

owlegrad likes this.
  9. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've found that the sandoz brand belts work better than the malloncrodt.

mustang sally, anon89, jafx and 5 others like this.
  10. rph3664

rph3664 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This is along the lines of people getting their toddlers diagnosed with bipolar disorder and getting SSI for them. OF COURSE the kids have rapid cycling bipolar disorder; they're toddlers! Look up "Depakote mom", who's now in prison for killing her daughter with that drug, for an excellent example of this.

And far too many of the parents want the kids on drugs, not to keep the kids placid and compliant, but so they can use the drugs themselves, or sell them.

Jibby321 likes this.
  11. confettiflyer

confettiflyer Did you just say something? 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  12. 297point1

297point1 1,000+ Post Club 7+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    SDN
    Author
    The April edition of Esquire had a feature article: "The Drugging of the American Boy" discussing the escalating diagnosis of ADHD and the use of stimulants in teens and tweens.
    http://www.esquire.com/features/drugging-of-the-american-boy-0414

I'm happy I did not come of age within the last decade, or I might have been put on something (for probably no good reason).

Jibby321 likes this.
  13. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 "Bubs Depot!" 10+ Year Member

Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
    Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    Education is female centric. These boys are being treated as if they are defective girls.

jafx and radio frequency like this.
  14. Tiger Wong

Tiger Wong 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I do think ADD is bull****. It saddens me when I see rx for 10 year old getting Concerta 36 BID. Their parents are too lazy to take their responsibility and these kids will probably on it for rest of their lives. Sigh!

Jibby321 and jafx like this.
  15. rph3664

rph3664 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    ADD is real, but horrendously overdiagnosed. It seems that in some places, all children are assumed to have it until proven otherwise (and we're also headed in that direction with autism IMNSHO). I can't find a link and the story sounds apocryphal, but I've read about schools which automatically referred all children who were not living with both biological parents, regardless of why, for ADHD testing. I don't get it either.

A good way to tell if the child really has it is if the parents (okay, mothers) brag about it. If they do, it's probably not the child, but the parent(s). Besides, it's NOT about violent behavior! Maybe a child who is killing pets, setting fires, acting out sexually, etc. has ADHD, but that is not why the child is acting that way.

Jibby321 likes this.

About the ads