Thousands Of Toddlers Are Medicated For A.D.H.D., Report Finds, Raising Worries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oreo Milk Shake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd rather Ritalin than Risperdal. Those neuroleptic treatments for really young kids bum me out.

Reactions: 1 user
This phenomenon runs through the entire academic system. I spoke out to my preceptor once while in pharmacy school about getting nothing out of his rotation (Omnicare; I put pills in boxes for 10 hours, then went home) He kicked me out due to insubordination. (As I was told, I was "saying stuff" to people, but offered no details when I inquired.)

The school wouldn't let me come back unless I was on Adderall. I don't have ADD. I just played along, even on here because I knew they read this board, because I wanted to GTFO of that abusive relationship ASAP. Do I actually need Adderall? Pfft, no. I do a shade under a hundred Readyfills every night (which are boring, monotonous), I do them quickly, and I've made few mistakes. An unmedication person with ADD can't do that.

I feel for these kids, I really do.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ADHD= crock of ****. Get a belt out and discipline those kids and they will pay attention. That's how it was for me and I turned out fine. ;)

I think some people legitimately have ADD/ADHD and benefit from meds, but I do think it's over used. Some schools or parents just want a prescription babysitter, my dad was put on Ritalin as a kid by recommendation from the school and he in no way has or had ADHD, they just didn't want young kids to have energy and be easy to control.

ADHD= crock of ****. Get a belt out and discipline those kids and they will pay attention. That's how it was for me and I turned out fine. ;)
I've found that the sandoz brand belts work better than the malloncrodt.

Reactions: 7 users
This is along the lines of people getting their toddlers diagnosed with bipolar disorder and getting SSI for them. OF COURSE the kids have rapid cycling bipolar disorder; they're toddlers! Look up "Depakote mom", who's now in prison for killing her daughter with that drug, for an excellent example of this.

And far too many of the parents want the kids on drugs, not to keep the kids placid and compliant, but so they can use the drugs themselves, or sell them.

The April edition of Esquire had a feature article: "The Drugging of the American Boy" discussing the escalating diagnosis of ADHD and the use of stimulants in teens and tweens.
http://www.esquire.com/features/drugging-of-the-american-boy-0414

I'm happy I did not come of age within the last decade, or I might have been put on something (for probably no good reason).

The April edition of Esquire had a feature article: "The Drugging of the American Boy" discussing the escalating diagnosis of ADHD and the use of stimulants in teens and tweens.
http://www.esquire.com/features/drugging-of-the-american-boy-0414

I'm happy I did not come of age within the last decade, or I might have been put on something (for probably no good reason).

Education is female centric. These boys are being treated as if they are defective girls.

Reactions: 1 users
I do think ADD is bull****. It saddens me when I see rx for 10 year old getting Concerta 36 BID. Their parents are too lazy to take their responsibility and these kids will probably on it for rest of their lives. Sigh!

Reactions: 1 users
ADD is real, but horrendously overdiagnosed. It seems that in some places, all children are assumed to have it until proven otherwise (and we're also headed in that direction with autism IMNSHO). I can't find a link and the story sounds apocryphal, but I've read about schools which automatically referred all children who were not living with both biological parents, regardless of why, for ADHD testing. I don't get it either.

A good way to tell if the child really has it is if the parents (okay, mothers) brag about it. If they do, it's probably not the child, but the parent(s). Besides, it's NOT about violent behavior! Maybe a child who is killing pets, setting fires, acting out sexually, etc. has ADHD, but that is not why the child is acting that way.