Thread about jobs and employers etc or website?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hondamts

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a lurker here for many years but recently after entering private practice I have learned a lot. After several months I have decided my first job was not the right job for me and am relocating to another job.

Here is the my issue; how come there is nothing out there to rate jobs and employers in the field of anesthesiology. We are a small community and I think this can be easily be done. I am sure there will be a couple off the wall comments that are very negative or positive but something like "yelp." If something like this was out there, I could have easily figured out the truth behind my job. Only after digging and finding out where previous employees went was I able to get a sense of what's going on. Having a site would have saved me a lot of issues...or maybe some basic info...I know gasworks has something similar but it's not updated often...

Do you think this is possible? The reason I am asking, is the person I worked with, has many contracts and since I am making my exit I see these new grads coming in with completely disillusioned view of the practice. If a site existed to rate this employers then maybe some would be more informed...at least I hope

Your thoughts? Views...

Members don't see this ad.

Too small a world. It would be easy to figure out who dissed a particular practice in many cases.

I imagine part of the barrier to that would be that most people wont participate since your anonymity is likely to be lost. People are not going to blast their former groups/employers if they need to keep using them for references because it will be super obvious who wrote the negative comments.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been a lurker here for many years but recently after entering private practice I have learned a lot. After several months I have decided my first job was not the right job for me and am relocating to another job.

Here is the my issue; how come there is nothing out there to rate jobs and employers in the field of anesthesiology. We are a small community and I think this can be easily be done. I am sure there will be a couple off the wall comments that are very negative or positive but something like "yelp." If something like this was out there, I could have easily figured out the truth behind my job. Only after digging and finding out where previous employees went was I able to get a sense of what's going on. Having a site would have saved me a lot of issues...or maybe some basic info...I know gasworks has something similar but it's not updated often...

Do you think this is possible? The reason I am asking, is the person I worked with, has many contracts and since I am making my exit I see these new grads coming in with completely disillusioned view of the practice. If a site existed to rate this employers then maybe some would be more informed...at least I hope

Your thoughts? Views...

I could be wrong, but I think there was a case of an Anesthesiologist being blackmailed by one of those big megagroups, it may have been NAPA or Anesthetix, but I can't remember after posting something on an internet site. This is the reason why a website like scutwork for Anesthesia jobs will never exist. There is word of mouth about places, so you can find things out that way.

I believe as long as you are happy with your location and feel you can practice Anesthesia safely, any place is fine, even if you work for NAPA or Anesthetix. I don't really see the difference making 350k versus 375k. In the end that 25k doesn't make a difference if you are not happy. Most jobs these days start at about 300k and max 400k from what I've seen. I haven't seen those 750k jobs.

So what was wrong about your first job?

I am glad that you guys are giving me a perspective of the negatives. I guess it's true that eventually the person can be traced eventually. I know on gasworks there some comments and some are helpful and some are just someone hating.

I still am curious to try it out. Not sure how I could do it so that it's unlikely that people could be traced back. Suggestions?

To answer the question my first job was not bad; it's that the scheduling was never reflective of a schedule. For example the day I would have vacation and confirmed in writing would be ingnored and I would be placed on the schedule. Things would change daily from money owed to paid to covering different hospitals. Nothing was consistent. Finally tracked down a few others who left the group and it was a common theme.

You could post here in the private forum and use the group name as the title. Not exactly secret, but it won't show up in a google search, but might help our community.

I agree, I think people can just post it on there. Also, the biggest red flags that naive graduates are looking for, are things like contracts not being honored, or people being duped into "partnership track" and then not being made partner.

Another problem with your idea for a job review website is sample size. Some of these groups only hire a doc every other year, or less often. With such a small sample size, any database would not be an accurate reflection of reality.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience out of residency. Follow the advice above and post it to the private forum. We've had similar threads before of which groups to avoid. Unfortunately, I think terrible groups may be the only valuable thread. The majority of groups probably fall somewhere in the middle, meaning they may be a perfect match for one person, but awful for another. It is hard to accurately describe that in a subjective online review.