thread closed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uialerbuilaehfuilr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(This thread was about choosing between Einstein and Thomas Jefferson, the choice has been made)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly both are great schools and I don’t see any significant prestige difference here, if any at all. Einstein likely has more research funding but at the end of the day, you’ll be able to get involved in research as a medical student at pretty much any academic medical center. Both schools will set you up well to apply to Psych residency, which isn’t overly competitive to begin with.

One major factor here is location - this is up to you to decide. But ultimately Philly and NYC are pretty close if you’re concerned about support network.

The biggest factor though is price, and that makes Jefferson a clear winner in my opinion. The fact that orientation starts after your MPH ends sucks a bit, but the money saved is too high to pass it up.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly both are great schools and I don’t see any significant prestige difference here, if any at all. Einstein likely has more research funding but at the end of the day, you’ll be able to get involved in research as a medical student at pretty much any academic medical center. Both schools will set you up well to apply to Psych residency, which isn’t overly competitive to begin with.

One major factor here is location - this is up to you to decide. But ultimately Philly and NYC are pretty close if you’re concerned about support network.

The biggest factor though is price, and that makes Jefferson a clear winner in my opinion. The fact that orientation starts after your MPH ends sucks a bit, but the money saved is too high to pass it up.
Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate the input. Einstein seemed like a great fit, but I agree it's hard to get over a difference of 100k+ in loans. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would tip the scale for Einstein price differential notwithstanding. I have dealt with burnout. I would not want to start med school and deal with burnout. That is a recipe for disaster. You have worked so hard to get here. Do not add that risk to the equation. JMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm chiming in to caution you against choosing one medical school over another based on the date the school starts. It may not be ideal for your short term relaxation, but it's inconsequential when considering the long-term: where you want to spend the next four years.

In full transparency, I'm planning to start at Jeff this summer. So, now I'll try to sell you :) . I share some of your thoughts. I also have most of my network in/near NYC, but it's close enough to Philly that it's not an obstacle. I'm eager to do research, too. On one hand, you might point to Einstein as having more NIH $$, but on the other hand, there will probably be less competition for research opportunities at Jeff since not every student does it. And, being in Philly, there are plenty of research opportunities outside the institution. Some students do research at Penn. Finally, I think you'll find Center City to be a cooler place to live than the north Bronx, and when you factor that in with the cost difference, I'd say join me at Jeff ;) .

Reactions: 1 users
I'm chiming in to caution you against choosing one medical school over another based on the date the school starts. It may not be ideal for your short term relaxation, but it's inconsequential when considering the long-term: where you want to spend the next four years.

In full transparency, I'm planning to start at Jeff this summer. So, now I'll try to sell you :) . I share some of your thoughts. I also have most of my network in/near NYC, but it's close enough to Philly that it's not an obstacle. I'm eager to do research, too. On one hand, you might point to Einstein as having more NIH $$, but on the other hand, there will probably be less competition for research opportunities at Jeff since not every student does it. And, being in Philly, there are plenty of research opportunities outside the institution. Some students do research at Penn. Finally, I think you'll find Center City to be a cooler place to live than the north Bronx, and when you factor that in with the cost difference, I'd say join me at Jeff ;) .
Thank you for your response as well! I'm going to ultimately choose Jeff, Einstein's price tag seems very limiting for future jobs and I always felt like Jeff had a great atmosphere. I'll see you in July! :)) Thank you @doctortoall for your input also! I think letting my Master's school know of the quick turnaround is the next step, so they can hopefully let me finish coursework maybe alil early. If I could hug you all I would!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.