Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Thread Reading=frustration/helpful

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by scaredoflife, Jul 14, 2008.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee 7+ Year Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Alright I had to get this out, after reading so many threads on this forum and rarely replying or giving opinions. I feel that so many of the people that post on this forums are giving bad advice. When I look at someone's question about what they should do after they got a 27 or 29. Many of the times the answers are retake it or wait a year and retake. Now on that basis, I think many people who give advice about scores are great they know what they are talking about. I bet a lot of the people who give advice have applied gotten in or are in medical school. But what I think some of the advice givers miss is that many of the people applying to medical school aren't looking to get into ivy league.

A lot of schools in many different states have different MCAT limits. I have seen a lot of people get in with a variety of scores even in the mid-20s. People on here are quick to judge and don't consider what state or colleges the person is applying to. A lot of Florida colleges have low MCAT scores for applications. And to my knowledge getting a 30 or around a 30 is phenomenal and you have a chance at many of the colleges where I am from. Overall I think many of the people on StudentDoctor look at national averages more than local averages. And many of my friends I talk to think Student Doctor forums makes them feel worse about their 27 or 29 and that they don't have a chance at getting into MD. I even hate how people on here make DO seem hard to get into with a 24. yep thats my time and done venting.

Opinions and Criticism greatly appreciated!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SN2ed

SN2ed Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sure, a 27 may work for some in-state schools, but it probably wouldn't cut it for most out of state schools. Usually, when the MCAT average is somewhat low (in the 20s), that school is a school that favors in-state residents. Another aspect of an MCAT score is the balance. There are times when someone got a 29 or low 30s and is still advised to retake because of score imbalance. One would be hard pressed to get accepted with a 6 verbal even if the sciences were 15s. Furthermore, some posters are applying to Canadian schools and if their writing score is bad, they will probably be advised to retake. Canadian med schools place an increased emphasis on writing to the point where some schools won't take people with a writing score below X.

While there are several other factors to one's application, a 27 and below would put most at a disadvantage. Sure, they could have some outstanding ECs that bring up their application, but they might not mention them when seeking advise.

Whenever someone specifically brings up a particular school they're interested in, I typicall look up the school to see how their score compares. If it's within range, the school is their in-state school and that's the school they want to go to, I probably won't tell them to retake. Without mention of any school, I think broadly on how that applicate would fair against most schools.

Lastly, while there are people that get in with 25 and below scores, that is far from the norm. I would guess that those cases involve people going to their in-state school.

4. Livingapparatus

Livingapparatus 7+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2007
    PHX
    Many good points.

But it depends on how many state schools you have. Where I am, I only have 1 instate with 2 very large universities instate all competing for those 110 spots.

Is a 27 a bad score? Hell no

Do they have a shot at MD? Hell yes

Does it guarantee an acceptance? not even close

Many people also really think that name brand is gonna get them further, let them think that. Med school is not about the school (as long as you are in the states or canada), it is up to the individual how good of a doctor they will become once they are in.

5. engineeredout

engineeredout 7+ Year Member

May 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    These forums can definitely warp conception of what is a good mcat score.

It might not be a bad thing because it could make people try that much harder and score higher, but yeah it is definitely a confidence killer.

6. supafield

supafield Dream Big 7+ Year Member

May 18, 2006
    Florida
    I really haven't looked too well into the american system....

In canada as mentioned above, well for ontario for me... there are some strict cutoffs at schools... In ontario we have 6 med schools.

3 require the MCAT, 2 of which have strict cutoffs more so to determine interviews and one that use it as a a component... 3 don't require the mcat at all.... and have competitive GPA requirements among other things...

Of the 2 schools using the MCAT for cutoffs are traditionally 10,10,10 Q..... and for University of Toronto the average matriculant has a 35+. So here if you're writing the MCAT you may be advised to rewrite a 15,8,15 because if you wrote the MCAT you were doing it to apply to the 3 schools that take it and of the 3 schools, 2 won't interview you with that score.

However if you have a strong GPA why waste your time... you'd be better of getting EC's and going after the schools with no MCAT requirements...

The idea of a good MCAT score on these forums is grossly inflated. However while people will get in with 25-29 scores I imagine they'll have an impressive GPA or very good EC's or both. So generally if you're coming to an MCAT form to ask if you are competitive the general consensus is a high 20 or low 30 is what you're looking for because if you had a 4.0 and amazing EC's you probably wouldn't have to ask? Just my guess....

Furthermore, if you're truly concerned about whether you're a competitive applicant an internet forum although informative shouldn't be your first resource when academic counselors are available.

So is it easy to have your MCAT score feel subpar here... yes.... Everyone else scores 35+ however, pre-test I'm trying to use the fact that so many people score mid 30's to motivate myself that it is very doable.... If I had the perspective that only certified geniuses could score mid 30's, I would think I couldn't do it and become another victim of the self fulfilling prophecy.

So I suppose it's all how you perceive it. It could definitely come off as destructive but I try to use it to my advantage.

7. engineeredout

engineeredout 7+ Year Member

May 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'd have to disagree with this. In my experience, academic advisors don't know dick. My advisor barely knew what a DO school was, let alone any of the stats or application requirements. Her advice on schools was to hand me a copy of the MSAR. Thanks a lot, I couldn't have managed that on my own.

8. supafield

supafield Dream Big 7+ Year Member

May 18, 2006
    Florida
    Fair enough, I've always found the admissions people at my school to be quite helpful but maybe that's not the case everywhere as you mentioned.

9. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee 7+ Year Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I guess people do get the point in fact to look at in-state schools before judging a 29 or 30 a bad score. I love do love StudentDoc.net for sure because it is resource that is available to me when the god damn counselors don't know jack **** haha.