Three months in and completely burnt out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I see a program canning a resident in the final year, I find that the problem is with the program first, and the resident second.

If I were the RRC, I would put those programs on review. One cannot play with somebody's future like that, paper trail or not.

I get your meaning, but the problem is that anesthesia residency isn't that long, especially considering that most residents aren't categorical and the program first gets them as PGY2s.

Figure a guy who's destined to fail is halfway through his CA1 year before a diligent program identifies problems. They hook him up with a mentor and some extra help, and document it all. End of CA1 year he's still struggling. Maybe he's weak clinically and bombs the ITE. Can't really fire him just then, so formal academic probation. He limps along, doesn't kill anyone, doesn't impress anyone, and mid-CA2 it's apparent he needs to go. But what if he disagrees? The appeal process, mediation, whatever takes a few more months. Now we're coming up on the start of his CA3 year now before he can be involuntarily dismissed. And that's if everything is documented perfectly, by a good PD backed up by good faculty that document what they see day-to-day. Everyone doing the right thing in good faith, perfect world scenario.

I can't speak to what's going on with a PGY5 neurosurgery resident getting cut, but late CA2 / early CA3 is probably the earliest an anesthesia program can fairly dismiss a resident. For academic / clinical competence reasons, anyway.

Residency only seems like an eternity while you're a resident. :)

Members don't see this ad.

wtf...
what does it take to get ****canned

In this person's case it was clear that she could not make independent decisions and function autonomously in the OR, which is what is expected by the time you're a PGY5 neurosurgical resident.

There was an ortho resident in a similar situation around the time I started residency. Only heard stories. She appealed, threatened to sue, etc. Good paper trail by the department. Long story short I think she's a pediatrician somewhere now.