Three Pieces of Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could go back in time and speak to your self as at the beginning of M1 what would you say?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you could go back in time and speak to your self as at the beginning of M1 what would you say?
1) get internet blocker software/get off facebook/get rid of cable
2) live with other M1 roommates to make group study easy and to be on similar schedule
3) do better in/prioritize learning physiology over all other M1 courses

For most ppl I'd say "remember to have fun" but since I'm hypothetically speaking to myself in this situation that would not apply lol

Reactions: 9 users
1) Don't give a flying fu** about your classmates and just do your thing.
2) Be proactive about addressing time management issues.
3) Don't drop the ball on working out. You should hit the gym, or run/bike/whatever outside at least 3x/week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Return all loans before the drop date, withdraw, then do something else.

Reactions: 8 users
1. Don't try to be everyone's best friend. Find the people who you identify with and can count on when times get tough. There will be people in your class who drive you insane. That's ok. Don't force it.

2. Don't give in to the mass hysteria when it gets bad. Put your head down and study. You will be fine if you put the work in.

3. Figure out the best study habits for you right away. You might need to visit academic advising to find out what those are.

4. When you can't remember why you are there, go shadow.

Reactions: 15 users
4. When you can't remember why you are there, go shadow.
Even though I'm matriculating this year, I cannot agree with this more. When times got rough throughout my non-trad pre-med life, I always found this as a guide to get me through. I'm sure it is even more meaningful when you know what is going on.

Even though I'm matriculating this year, I cannot agree with this more. When times got rough throughout my non-trad pre-med life, I always found this as a guide to get me through. I'm sure it is even more meaningful when you know what is going on.
It's really amazing to go from knowing nothing to actually understanding what is going on. Some of my research involves chart review, and I had no idea what I was doing at times over the summer. I had no idea what the different abx were, etc, and so my partner and I spent a lot of time googling names so that we didn't miss anything. 2 months into MS2, we knew exactly what was going on.

I worked as a tech in pre-med. Open heart patients in the ICU were so intimidating. I had no idea what was going on. Now, I understand the whole dobutamine drip concept and all the different vitals, etc. It's still intimidating, but I know some things. It's nice to know I am progressing and achieving my dreams.

Also, med school goes FAST. I felt like I just got accepted yesterday, but that was over 2 years ago. Now, I am about 6 months out from Step 1 already. Time really flies. That's also something to remember when you are struggling. 4 years is not a very long time. You CAN do it. Nobody went to med school to sit through lectures all day. If you hate it initially, that doesn't necessarily mean you will hate being a doctor. I keep telling myself that it is two mildly unpleasant years of lecture vs. the rest of my life. Suck itup. Oddly, those thoughts help me.

Reactions: 2 users
It's really amazing to go from knowing nothing to actually understanding what is going on. Some of my research involves chart review, and I had no idea what I was doing at times over the summer. I had no idea what the different abx were, etc, and so my partner and I spent a lot of time googling names so that we didn't miss anything. 2 months into MS2, we knew exactly what was going on.

I worked as a tech in pre-med. Open heart patients in the ICU were so intimidating. I had no idea what was going on. Now, I understand the whole dobutamine drip concept and all the different vitals, etc. It's still intimidating, but I know some things. It's nice to know I am progressing and achieving my dreams.

Also, med school goes FAST. I felt like I just got accepted yesterday, but that was over 2 years ago. Now, I am about 6 months out from Step 1 already. Time really flies. That's also something to remember when you are struggling. 4 years is not a very long time. You CAN do it. Nobody went to med school to sit through lectures all day. If you hate it initially, that doesn't necessarily mean you will hate being a doctor. I keep telling myself that it is two mildly unpleasant years of lecture vs. the rest of my life. Suck itup. Oddly, those thoughts help me.
Interesting perspective. Thank you.

Though it's not to the same extent, I know what you mean. Knowledge gives me comfort. It gives a higher sense of control.

Also, I'm quite jealous you were able to do some clinical research as a pre-med. ;)

Love this thread :) thanks op

Interesting perspective. Thank you.

Though it's not to the same extent, I know what you mean. Knowledge gives me comfort. It gives a higher sense of control.

Also, I'm quite jealous you were able to do some clinical research as a pre-med. ;)
Sorry, I wasn't clear. My clinical research started in MS1. I did enzyme kinetics research in undergrad. Let's just say that lasted for a semester. I honestly missed patient care so much (and needed to go back to work for money reasons) that I went back to full time nights as a tech.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol Im doing that right now as I type....its a slow night. I dont think ima miss this tho. Im ready for school.
O yeah, I was the same way once I got in. Enjoy your time, though. Watch a lot of Netflix. Take a vacation. Go on a cruise.

I honestly think you'll realize how helpful your past experiences will be in the first two years of med school. You'll have some sense as to how things work. Some people...don't.

O yeah, I was the same way once I got in. Enjoy your time, though. Watch a lot of Netflix. Take a vacation. Go on a cruise.

I honestly think you'll realize how helpful your past experiences will be in the first two years of med school. You'll have some sense as to how things work. Some people...don't.
What do you guys do to get back into that study mode? I can feel my brain cells degrading every day. I am vacationing like crazy but Im worried I will have forgotten at lot by school time.

What do you guys do to get back into that study mode? I can feel my brain cells degrading every day. I am vacationing like crazy but Im worried I will have forgotten at lot by school time.
I kind of magically snapped into study mode when med school started. You'll learn so much so fast. There were some people in my class who were 30-39 y/o and many years out except for prereqs and mcat. They did just fine, too. Don't pre-study. It is so not worth it.

I kind of magically snapped into study mode when med school started. You'll learn so much so fast. There were some people in my class who were 30-39 y/o and many years out except for prereqs and mcat. They did just fine, too. Don't pre-study. It is so not worth it.
Thanks. I know it varies but, on average, how much does the average student study per day?

Thanks. I know it varies but, on average, how much does the average student study per day?
Depends on the block and how close you are to an exam. I am usually done anywhere between 7pm and 10pm on weekdays right now, but I'm an m2. M1 year I was usually done by 6 or 7 and that was after a 90 min workout. I'd say 3-5 hours a day outside class, but it definitely does vary.

Take vacations from SDN... Good for the soul.
You get out of medicine and medical school what you put in.

Reactions: 1 users
There's nothing I would've done incredibly differently. In hindsight, I adjusted quickly and quite well. My only major regret is having completely and unnecessarily dropped exercising. I had the time. I just didn't put aside enough mental energy for it.

I'll throw in just some overall advice as an average performing ms2 at a fairly prestigious program

1. Socializing- People have mixed feelings on this. Know yourself. I say go in with an open mind. People will be over-eager during the first couple weeks but will settle into themselves and becoming easier to have just a casual conversation with. It saddens me to see threads with the mindset of "im here for school not to make friends." To me that's no way to go through life. Will you carry that into residency? post residency? Life is easier with friends.

2. I agree w/ above...shadow a lot. Email high up professors. I made a lot of connections first year. I think older docs appreciate the optimism/naivety of early students.

3. Become comfortable with the "not knowing." There's a lot to learn...don't drive yourself crazy or get discouraged..especially if you perform poorly on your first exam. Also, don't be afraid to utilize your schools academic advisor. That's what your tuition is paying for. They can be a very valuable resource. Most people who made it into med school have never needed this service and have it in their mind that tutoring/academic advisors are for dumb kids...but med school is hard...they've probably seen similar problems/concerns that you're having before.

4. It's too early to become jaded. Spend time with people outside of medicine. Take breaks from SDN. BE HUMBLE. Don't wear your whitecoat to the bars.

5. This goes along with number 1 and 4. Most people starting out are in their twenties. It's a great decade of life. Live your life. There is always more to learn. Join a rec sports team. Go to the Wednesday happy hour. Spend Sunday with your bible study group. Whatever makes you happy make time for it.

6. Lastly, pass it on. This thread will pop up again in a couple years when you have some insights. The apprentice/mentor dynamic of medicine is one of the most important/fulfilling aspects of medicine.

Overall, the first year and a half have been hard, but rewarding. I've seen myself grow a lot. I've made lots of good friends. I've learned more than I thought possible. I've hit some real lows and lost confidence at times, which happens to everyone, but I've also bounced back. If you experience a life event, utilize your school's mental health services. Always prioritize yourself and your family.

Reactions: 9 users

Last edited:
I'll bite with what I've seen so far. Mind the rants but these are pretty close-to-heart things.

1.) As far as studying goes, realize things will change. You will experiment. That's ok. Have a plan but don't freak if it doesn't work out. Learn from your mistakes and come back stronger.

2.) Yes, you will need to memorize a crazy ton. But it's more important to know how to ****study for the right exam!!!**** This goes for class exams, shelves, everything. If you are NOT studying in a way that will help you use the material in the context you will be evaluated in, your hours will be much less effective. That is why it is ok to change things up if you have to--you need to do whatever is necessary to truly learn the material required for how you will be evaluated for it. Seek practice questions. Listen to recordings at high speed. Teach yourself things. Talk to your professors to clarify concepts if you can't explain them to yourself. Etc. Whatever helps you to understand how this material works in a specific context is really, really important in med school.

3.) You will likely realize that while you have free time, it will be harder to relish it. This is normal, but it doesn't have to define you. Know your limits and what you can handle in the realm of scheduling your time with others. If you aren't relaxed (or at the very least don't feel you've got yourself together), it will affect you internally and, very likely, your interactions with others. Do not feel pressured to do everything everyone is doing, and take care of yourself. You'll be grateful for it. Also, support system. Have a good one. You'll be grateful to have them.

1. Use study time effectively. Some people in med school never stop "studying", but I think this is because they are sitting there for 10 hours but only getting 4 hours or actual studying in.
2. Make a list of your most important friends. Make sure to keep in touch with them. Call them at least once a month. It's easy to lose touch with people you care about.
3. More study resources just equals more money, not necessarily higher board scores. The fewer the resources the better, as long as you use them well and go through them thoroughly.

1. Use study time effectively. Some people in med school never stop "studying", but I think this is because they are sitting there for 10 hours but only getting 4 hours or actual studying in.
2. Make a list of your most important friends. Make sure to keep in touch with them. Call them at least once a month. It's easy to lose touch with people you care about.
3. More study resources just equals more money, not necessarily higher board scores. The fewer the resources the better, as long as you use them well and go through them thoroughly.
I'm appreciating everyone's posts!

One thing I've been pretty confused about is this concept of 'step study resources.' As in, what's the difference between FA (First Aid?), Pathoma, USWorld etc etc?

Are they all for the same thing? Will we learn about these in school-- how does everyone seem so well versed in this?! lol

One thing I've been pretty confused about is this concept of 'step study resources.' As in, what's the difference between FA (First Aid?), Pathoma, USWorld etc etc?

Are they all for the same thing? Will we learn about these in school-- how does everyone seem so well versed in this?! lol
The way I think of it is , Kaplan vs br vs Princeton review etc for mcat prep.

The way I think of it is , Kaplan vs br vs Princeton review etc for mcat prep.
Ahhhh, so they're all just different prep systems for step 1? In theory, they cover the same material then? Got it! Thank you!

I'll throw in just some overall advice as an average performing ms2 at a fairly prestigious program

4. It's too early to become jaded. Spend time with people outside of medicine. Take breaks from SDN. BE HUMBLE. Don't wear your whitecoat to the bars.

5. This goes along with number 1 and 4. Most people starting out are in their twenties. It's a great decade of life. Live your life. There is always more to learn. Join a rec sports team. Go to the Wednesday happy hour. Spend Sunday with your bible study group. Whatever makes you happy make time for it.

6. Lastly, pass it on. This thread will pop up again in a couple years when you have some insights. The apprentice/mentor dynamic of medicine is one of the most important/fulfilling aspects of medicine.

Overall, the first year and a half have been hard, but rewarding. I've seen myself grow a lot. I've made lots of good friends. I've learned more than I thought possible. I've hit some real lows and lost confidence at times, which happens to everyone, but I've also bounced back. If you experience a life event, utilize your school's mental health services. Always prioritize yourself and your family.
Wait...what????

FA is a condensed outline of material covered during pre-clinical years that's fair game on Step 1. Pathoma is a pathology review course that covers path concisely, and overall better than FA (but it does miss some things...) and is a solid supplement to lecture material in addition to Step prep. UWorld is hands down the best qbank for Step. They're different resources and best used in conjunction with each other to prepare for Step 1.

Ahhhh, so they're all just different prep systems for step 1? In theory, they cover the same material then? Got it! Thank you!
Please disregard my analogy. Walter lance's is better.

FA is a condensed outline of material covered during pre-clinical years that's fair game on Step 1. Pathoma is a pathology review course that covers path concisely, and overall better than FA (but it does miss some things...) and is a solid supplement to lecture material in addition to Step prep. UWorld is hands down the best qbank for Step. They're different resources and best used in conjunction with each other to prepare for Step 1.
thank you!

1. Don't try to be everyone's best friend. Find the people who you identify with and can count on when times get tough. There will be people in your class who drive you insane. That's ok. Don't force it.

Definitely this ^. My classmates are all great people but there will definitely be people who you vibe with more. And in the same vein, have more patience with other people. We all come from various backgrounds and were raised differently. My dogma isn't yours and vice versa.

2. Don't sleep on anatomy practicals. Make multiple trips to the lab with someone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about.

3. Know-it-all's are annoying af. Don't be that guy/gal. (wasn't me but worth mentioning)

4. Figure out fast if you study best in groups, alone, or both.

5. Go with the flow, pick your battles, and don't sweat the small stuff. You're already stressed out as it is, no need to add the unnecessary.

6. Finally, don't forget to live life. As medstudents with limited time, we're so stuck in the future and trying to set ourselves up in the best way possible that we forgo the beauty of today. You won't get this time back. Love your family, love your friends from outside of medschool, date, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
1. Echo what everyone says about maintaining a certain degree of selfishness towards your own study as opposed to getting along with everyone and sacrificing time for those your barely know. Everyone's in it for themselves no matter how altruistic they make themselves seem in their spare time, this is what the medical school application cycle breeds by definition after all. That being said, take time to partake in social events, no matter how superficial they seem until you meet a solid group of friends you can gel with. Everyone needs friends.

2. You can struggle with learning styles all you want but in the end the most effective one is making as many passes through the material as you and only stopping to understand something important. What's important comes with experience but as hint derivation of formulas and why things work physically are not often important. You're really learning a language at this stage and the abstraction will begin in 3rd year.

3. There is time to lift and make gains and not make a complete slob of yourself if you keep yourself happy even if that means seeking help from places you'd afraid to be seen at one or two years ago.

(Bonus) 4. Even if I told myself that his 3 years ago, I still wouldn't be in much better shape. Sometimes you just have to experience it and see how you do because it's all in the execution.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

% agree
Just to add to it, UWorld is also an active learning resource, textbook, spatial repetition tool, and a source that best resembles actual step 1 questions all in one. You can use it as such, or you can diminish its value by using it as solely a diagnostic tool 4 weeks before your exam. In other words, START ASAP (once organ system pathology starts likely in second year).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would give myself investment/sports gambling advice.