Three weeks to study!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jean2117

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just decided to retake the MCAT in August, and I was wondering if it is possible to study for the MCAT in three weeks to raise my original MCAT score. My April score was a 23O with a 6P, 7V, 10B. I have to admit that I really did not put that much time into studying for the MCAT when I took it in April, and I also ran out of time on the verbal section, which left me to bubble in 12 questions with the letter C. I could put in about 10-12 hours a day until the MCAT. By the way I am applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. Has anyone ever studied for the MCAT in only 3 weeks and still scored well or raised their score? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

jean2117 said:
I just decided to retake the MCAT in August, and I was wondering if it is possible to study for the MCAT in three weeks to raise my original MCAT score. My April score was a 23O with a 6P, 7V, 10B. I have to admit that I really did not put that much time into studying for the MCAT when I took it in April, and I also ran out of time on the verbal section, which left me to bubble in 12 questions with the letter C. I could put in about 10-12 hours a day until the MCAT. Has anyone ever studied for the MCAT in only 3 weeks and still scored well or raised their score? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Are planning on applying this cycle? If not, why not wait until next year? 5+ point improvement over three weeks is unlikely, especially considering that you haven't been studying since April.

ADeadLois said:
Are planning on applying this cycle? If not, why not wait until next year? 5+ point improvement over three weeks is unlikely, especially considering that you haven't been studying since April.

I decided that I am planning on applying this cycle, which is way I just decided to retake the MCAT this August. I have already registered for the MCAT and I am going to take the MCAT. I guess I was wondering if there is a chance that I can improve my score in three weeks of studying. Also, I failed to mention that I took the Kaplan class for the April exam, but just did not practice that much.

jean2117 said:
I decided that I am planning on applying this cycle, which is way I just decided to retake the MCAT this August. I have already registered for the MCAT and I am going to take the MCAT. I guess I was wondering if there is a chance that I can improve my score in three weeks of studying. Also, I failed to mention that I took the Kaplan class for the April exam, but just did not practice that much.

Start by taking an AAMC full-length. If your score is not in the 27-30 range, I would seriously reconsider applying this cycle and taking the MCAT in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to be mean or harsh towards you. But I'm going to be honest. If you didn't study much last time. And only have 3 weeks to study this time, what are the chances you are going to do THAT much better? Not very likely.

Then again my buddies have studied only 2-3 weeks prior and came out with 30+ scores. Are you the type of learner who learns fast and retains info well?

ADeadLois is completely right. Take an AAMC full-length. If you don't do well, don't take the exam and get your partial refund back.

It seems to me like you'd be repeating the same mistake all over again, and 2 23's look worse than one.

Unless you can do nothing but study for the next 3 weeks (like 10 hrs a day) it would probably be wise for you to wait.

I know it's tempting to get it over with quickly, but sometimes "haste makes waste"; you'll be putting yourself in jeopardy of a panic attack during the exam with cramming last minute.

Ultimately, like others have said, taking a practice exam a week before the test should let you know where your stand.

MedChic said:
It seems to me like you'd be repeating the same mistake all over again, and 2 23's look worse than one.

Unless you can do nothing but study for the next 3 weeks (like 10 hrs a day) it would probably be wise for you to wait.

I know it's tempting to get it over with quickly, but sometimes "haste makes waste"; you'll be putting yourself in jeopardy of a panic attack during the exam with cramming last minute.

Ultimately, like others have said, taking a practice exam a week before the test should let you know where your stand.

what she said.

MedChic said:

Thanks for your advice, but I actually can dedicate 10 hours a day to studying for the next 3 weeks because I will not be working or have any obligations to meet. Does it make a difference at all that I had a 10 in biology and only had a 7 in verbal because I was not able to finish two passages. On all of the kaplan practice tests and aamc practice test, I was getting anywhere from 9-11s on the verbal section.

jean2117 said:
Thanks for your advice, but I actually can dedicate 10 hours a day to studying for the next 3 weeks because I will not be working or have any obligations to meet. Does it make a difference at all that I had a 10 in biology and only had a 7 in verbal because I was not able to finish two passages. On all of the kaplan practice tests and aamc practice test, I was getting anywhere from 9-11s on the verbal section.

Probably..especially if you were getting 10 and 11's on AAMC. Kaplan verbal is not very indicative of the real thing. If you can get your hands on some EK Verbal passages or some extra AAMC tests that would probably the best way to practice. If I were you and was very set on taking the test in Aug. I'd do 3-4 verbal passages a day, allowing myself 8-9 mintues per passage to overcome the timing issue.

Physics - well in that area, I'll just let someone with more experitse chime in since I'm no Isaac Newton. :laugh:

jean2117 said:

lol. what's up with all the refuting and arguing?

i thought you posted this thread so you can some advice.

why don't you post a new thread that goes something like this:

"i will study 3 weeks and i DESPERATELY need alot of ego boosters!!!!!!"

:laugh:

grapeflavorsoda said:
lol. what's up with all the refuting and arguing?

i thought you posted this thread so you can some advice.

why don't you post a new thread that goes something like this:

"i will study 3 weeks and i DESPERATELY need alot of ego boosters!!!!!!"

:laugh:
These "ego boosters" where might I be able to purchase one?

Best thing to do, study your butt of for 3 weeks, take a practice test couple of days before the day, and then you'll have a better idea if you should take the plunge!

Nerves play a lot of havoc on the test, you might be more calm this time around. G'luck!! :luck:

maybe take a Full Length in a week or so, no??? study full time this week, take timed FL next week... don't panic like me! you can do it if you put your mind to it, you just have to put in the hours.

study like crazy, and just get it done! if you want it badly enough, it can be done. i'm in a similar boat. and i'm studying my ass off. a good test of whether or not you really want it...just do it!!!

good luck ;) PM if u want to chat about studying like crazy last minute

supersash said:
study like crazy, and just get it done! if you want it badly enough, it can be done. i'm in a similar boat. and i'm studying my ass off. a good test of whether or not you really want it...just do it!!!

good luck ;) PM if u want to chat about studying like crazy last minute

I agree with this, and I m in the same boat :)

if i'm attempting to do this in 3 weeks, i know any of the rest of you guys can do it too. gooooo mcatters!

stop wasting time on sdn ...get off and study , you know what your capable of doing .....go get em tiger ;)

jean2117 said:
I just decided to retake the MCAT in August, and I was wondering if it is possible to study for the MCAT in three weeks to raise my original MCAT score. My April score was a 23O with a 6P, 7V, 10B. I have to admit that I really did not put that much time into studying for the MCAT when I took it in April, and I also ran out of time on the verbal section, which left me to bubble in 12 questions with the letter C. I could put in about 10-12 hours a day until the MCAT. By the way I am applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. Has anyone ever studied for the MCAT in only 3 weeks and still scored well or raised their score? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you actually can put in that 10 hours/day for the next three weeks I believe you'll be able to pull your score up quite a bit. Good luck