Three year BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdmeyer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just found this site and I have found it quite interesting and informative. I was wondering if medical schools would look poorly on someone who finished college in three years. I am asking because right now I am doing a bioengineering degree and I am thinking that I will probably finish in three years. However, doing so will require that I take a fair amount of summer school. I don't really mind taking summer school because I will go to school near home so I will still have time to see my friends and family. However, I won't have time to volunteer or do research. The main reason that I want to finish in three years is to save money. The school I'm at right now isn't the most expensive but it does cost a fair amount. Plus, I don't really like living in the dorm and since I am at a conservative college they make the students under 22 live in the dorm unless they are married. When I go to medical school I plan to live with my parents to save money and get home cooked meals (our house is quite close to the medical school I will probably go to). When I have explained my plans to some people they have acted like I am crazy. My question is am I crazy? Should I slow down and just take my time? I don't really mind taking lots of classes because I enjoy school and my GPA is 3.94 (and I have I finished a quarter of the credits I need). Thanks for your advice.

Kurt

P.S. I study a fair amount (I am taking 19 credits this quarter) but I still have time to hang out with my friends.

Members don't see this ad.

Like you, I am an engineering major, but in electrical/computer engineering instead of bioengineering.

Being in bioengineering should give you the opportunity to do research during the normal semester, since medicine and bioengineering are closely related.

I think you need to volunteer also. Having a 3.9 GPA is great, but when admission committees look at it, they wont favor it much more than a 3.5 or 3.6 GPA.

If you want to go into an MD/PhD program, then research is absolutely critical, and you probably need at least 3 years of research experience.

For normal med school, volunteering is more important (research is good too, but you dont need 3 years of it).

If your number one plan is med school, then I definitely suggest you slow down and get more breadth in your experience

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

Ya, You're screwing up. First of all showing that you care for others/the community is as important as grades and MCAT scores. You have to, have to, have to show with your actions that you are more than just smart, you CARE!
I got my baccalaureate in 1yr. 7 mos. Whoop-D-Doo the shine wears off real fast, sure it's an accomplishment, but getting into med-school is more of one. Also, your grades will suffer, you may still have a 3.8, but you could do better in a 4 year program.
Now... Financial Aid, once you graduate, NO MORE PELL Grants!!! Those loans add up
smile.gif

People aren't impressed with accelerated programs, medicine is a conservative establishment and the tried and true routes to admission are expected and appreciated.
Hope this gave you sumpin' to chew on TTFN

Members don't see this ad :)
OOPS, 3.94 not 3.8 OK, OK
Well, is hanging out with your friends more important than serving the community? Why do you want to go into medicine? Also, don't count on going to med school at a particular school, might not happen. Best wishes.

Thanks for the responces. I have decided to take four years. The more I thought about it the more I realized that this wasn't such a great idea. At first it just sounded cool. I thought that it would impress people (like admissions people) and would save me time and money. Then I began to have some doubts so I decided I'd ask around. After talking to some people and reading the responces posted here it has become clear that there is little to be gained in a three year program.

Thanks,
Kurt