Quantcast

MD three years out of school and working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean_T

Reaction score
So, I graduated from a small university with a 2.7 gpa in Chemistry. I had 3 years of undergraduate research which resulted in a publication. I found work in a pharmaceutical company and have worked there for the past 3 years as an scientist. While working, I have obtained 2 patents. It's been awhile and I don't know what my chances are when it comes to med school. I have about 300+ hours of volunteering at the Mayo Clinic. I have yet to take the MCAT. What would I need to do to increase my chances of getting accepted? Would it possible to score high on the MCAT? Should I look into Masters programs? Please help.

confidentandgood

Bunburyin' it.
Reaction score
No shadowing?

Fastest route: do a post-bacc, retake all poor grades (C and below), score well on the MCAT, and apply DO.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    A high MCAT will only make the gpa look more disturbing.
    Master's degree's do not remediate a weak undergrad gpa for MD schools.
    Have you calculated your AMCAS and AACOMAS gpas in the calculators in the sticky at the beginning of this forum? https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-thread-for-optimal-results-and-more.1170791/
    Knowing exactly how many units you would need to avoid automatic cut-offs is a start.
    Go to the non-trad forum for a community of folks who are working to bring up undergraduate gpa's. https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/nontraditional-students.110/

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

So, I graduated from a small university with a 2.7 gpa in Chemistry. I had 3 years of undergraduate research which resulted in a publication. I found work in a pharmaceutical company and have worked there for the past 3 years as an scientist. While working, I have obtained 2 patents. It's been awhile and I don't know what my chances are when it comes to med school. I have about 300+ hours of volunteering at the Mayo Clinic. I have yet to take the MCAT. What would I need to do to increase my chances of getting accepted? Would it possible to score high on the MCAT? Should I look into Masters programs? Please help.