Throwing in the towel maybe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused2626

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else get a slight (or a big) feeling of panic when they come on here? Is med school that impossible to get into, or is it just that this forum has a higher percentage of perfectionists? Even looking at MD Apps with people with stats similar to mine, I still see rejections or waitlists.

I know I SHOULD be competitive. I have a solid GPA and a good MCAT. But maybe I'm also stressing because I have two huge bio/ochem tests tomorrow that I know is probably not going to go over well.

Is it really this cut throat? What have I gotten myself into! (Applying this cycle!)

Members don't see this ad.

I get the same feelings. I'm freaking out right now because I'm going to a community college and might have 2 B+'s. To a normal person, this would be awesome. To me it's like: well if I get 2 B+'s in a community college, there's no way I stand a change at getting A's in university. :scared: :( :laugh:

Does anybody else get a slight (or a big) feeling of panic when they come on here? Is med school that impossible to get into, or is it just that this forum has a higher percentage of perfectionists? Even looking at MD Apps with people with stats similar to mine, I still see rejections or waitlists.

I know I SHOULD be competitive. I have a solid GPA and a good MCAT. But maybe I'm also stressing because I have two huge bio/ochem tests tomorrow that I know is probably not going to go over well.

Is it really this cut throat? What have I gotten myself into! (Applying this cycle!)

Yup, the people on here tend to be higher-achieving. Sorry that you have two ridiculous tests tomorrow, but from what it sounds like, you should be set. Two tests will most likely not change your overall grade that much, unless you cheat, get caught, and get a 0 on them or in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be alright man. I feel incredibly blessed this application cycle...my stats are decidedly mediocre. I'm convinced there's more to it all than numbers. Your faith and hard work will be rewarded soon enough. Good Luck

many people exaggerate their stats on sdn and mdapps.

although the acceptance rates for each specific school is very low, when all is said and done, roughly 50% of med school applicants end up getting in somewhere.

Last edited:
I just got into med school w/ 3 C's and a W on my transcript...don't worry about B+'s. It's not impossible

You'd be surprised how many applicants out there have never even heard of SDN. Its only overachievers and other outliers that find there way to these boards. Trust me, you are more than your numbers...you are an individual applicant, and once you get an interview, you are a pretty equal footing with everyone else; so sell yourself when you have the chance.

I think that if you are determined and put in the hard work necessary (and it is necessary), you will do fine. I think that we all feel anxious and worried, but just do what you need to (keep up the grades, show your motivation through some ECs, etc.) and adcoms somewhere will notice. I think all the anxiety comes from the extreme selectivity of the top tier schools.

IMO

Thanks everybody....don't know what I was really expecting when I made this thread, but I do feel a lot better.

I do think a lot of my anxiety is from people striving for Top20 schools. I have no desire to be in a top 20, I just want to get in somewhere. So maybe my lack of selectivity will help in the process too.

Back to the books! (Gee, I thought my late night study sessions were over with the MCAT)

I was the same exact way when I first used to frequent SDN. I freaked myself out and let the other posters' domineering attitudes get me down.

You'll be fine. Keep your head up, do your best, and if this is your passion you will make it happen. Don't let the naysayers get you down.

I would say my stats are pretty mediocre and I have a degree from an average state school. Yet I was blessed to receive some incredible acceptances and even interviewed at Columbia. There are countless posters on here like me who are below average according to SDN's standards yet had highly successful applications. Focus on the positive.

Best of luck to you! :luck:

Dont worry bro. If an idiot like me can get into medical school...I think it is a possibility for most people as long as they put in the effort.

I definitely get panicky, as I'm on the ultra low end of the gpa spectrum. When I think to myself, I see many ways I can achieve my goals, but I come on to sdn, and see all these people freaking out with much higher stats, and I freak out.

I used to always come away from SDN depressed. Then I started getting interviews and I realized I had a much better chance at getting in than I thought. And then I got an acceptance and I was finally able to relax and actually enjoy these boards.

Really don't worry about. There is more to this than numbers, especially if you just want to get in somewhere and not specifically a really high ranked school.

Last edited:
lol, if you think it's depressing before you apply, try when you apply and get only 3 interviews, then get a WL from one and a rejection from another, and the 3rd one isn't til april 13th. then you come on SDN and read forums where people complain that they got 9 interviews and only made it into 3 but their top choice rejected them...

That's my situation anyway. At this point I'm not really expecting to make it into a school this year.