This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlecow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
JFK “ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.”

Replace country with residency program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Academic programs, those with in house >
Those that have matched people consistently to GI historically >
Others

Reactions: 1 users
Spoiler alert: I didn't answer your question

Such a ranking does not exist. I think its also impossible to form any sort of consensus. I remember trying to play this game when applying to IM residency. When you get to the fellowship process (which I am not yet at but have friends who have gone through) you will realize that there's really no rhyme or reason even more so than the IM recruitment process is. Rank programs based on the general reputation, the training, and how happy you'd be to be there. FWIW, I have listened to supposedly influential GI faculty at the same institution give their two cents about what makes an ideal candidate and they contradicted each other about everything that was not obvious (academic program, good letters, etc.).

Sorry I didn't answer your question but I was in your shoes three years ago and was super into the which is better between Program A and B and its not worth the effort. Go to an academic program where you feel confident in where you can do the work to get yourself a GI fellowship (meeting faculty in GI, attending national meetings, publishing chart reviews, etc.). Programs with great match lists market themselves to residents and if I was a PD I would too. Having seen too many real life examples to count its really you who gets the fellowship though.

If you're going to play the match list game some pieces of advice are to look at peak matches (i.e. program X matched GI at this place.) and try to look into the individual scenario. If it's legit, that demonstrates the program's viability. Don't look at the volume of GI matches because that speaks more to the culture/demographics of the residency program. I just point out because I think it's counterintuitive as I usually go off the trend and not the he/she matched here. You can match GI at any academic program with hard work. I think some residents just want it handed to them more than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
the list only has a number 1 and a number 2 spot. The number 1 spot is comprised of all programs that have an in-house GI fellowship, and number 2 is the remaining programs.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I have a friend that goes to UIC and who applied GI, and they didn’t rank any of the internal GI candidates to match... so, sometimes going to a program with an in-house GI fellowship doesn’t even help!

I have a friend that goes to UIC and who applied GI, and they didn’t rank any of the internal GI candidates to match... so, sometimes going to a program with an in-house GI fellowship doesn’t even help!

Gross