Ties for interview in 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostinLift

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So ties have getting skinnier and skinnier with a thick tie being considered 4.5 inches by many tailors nowadays, when it used to be 5.5 inches. 3.5 inches is now considered average with 2.5 or less being skinny. What is most appropriate for medical school interviews? Also what knot nowadays do you think is most appropriate? Tailor I used recommended a tight windsor knot and didn't think a 2.5 inch tie would be inappropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Bowtie or die.

By the way, there is an entire thread devoted to this kind of question.

Reactions: 1 user
So ties have getting skinnier and skinnier with a thick tie being considered 4.5 inches by many tailors nowadays, when it used to be 5.5 inches. 3.5 inches is now considered average with 2.5 or less being skinny. What is most appropriate for medical school interviews? Also what knot nowadays do you think is most appropriate? Tailor I used recommended a tight windsor knot and didn't think a 2.5 inch tie would be inappropriate.

Does this mean you hired a personal consultant to advise you about what to wear? That' intense!

Zero people will care about the width of your tie or the knot. Wear whatever makes you feel best about yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Elder knot and gg other applicants.

I've done moderately skinny at half of my interviews and regular to the other half. Hasn't affected my success rate. You can't ever go wrong with a half-windsor knot.

your tie style will never work in your favor, but may work against you if it comes off as unprofessional. Don't wear a huge, bright pink tie like some dude did in one of my interview days in October.

^^ Using that axiom, just stick with a full- or half-windsor in an appropriate color and don't think about it any further.

3-3.5" tie.

Your knot should be a well-tied four in hand unless you have a really wide spread collar, in my opinion.

I only tie either a 4ih or a Nicky. It's symmetric like a Windsor without being a humongous monstrosity. http://www.totieatie.com/nicky.asp

Agreed on the 3-3.5''.

Four-in-hand is basically the catch all - works in all kinds of situations from formal to non-formal. It's also stupid easy to tie, and if you're tall (>6') it allows you to get the tie down to your belt without difficulty.

The 1/2 Windsor, Nicky, and Pratt knots are great for semi-formal and formal occasions. If you tie it properly (tight) and adjust it, while they are asymmetrical knots, they will appear symmetric under the collar.

The full Windsor isn't advisable. Even though it is a symmetrical knot, it takes far too much tie and makes a very bulky knot. If you tie it tight enough, it can be good for formal events. However, I've never used it over a half Windsor or a FIH. Those two can get you through anything.

Ties for medical school interviews really aren't a time to make a fashion statement - stay away from flashy ties and hipster knots. Think of your tie choice as the first time you're testing your devotion to the Hippocratic Oath.

I would like to revise and say: just tie an unremarkable half-windsor or four-in-hand and forget about it. It turns out I've been tying a four-in-hand for the last 10 years and calling it a full-windsor. Luckily I've never been quizzed about my tie in an interview.

Wear whatever makes you feel best about yourself.
hu11g.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Here comes the kid wearing the Trinity...
one of my classmates did that for residency interviews. people who applied in the same specialty knew about him without having met him. I don't think it's good for news about your fashion to spread around the interview trail.

We should really be talking about color. As long as it goes with my suit, I try to wear a shirt and tie that either conveys trust (blue or green) or goes towards the school's colors. Result: 89% success rate.

I still don't know why people tie anything other than the four in hand.

I still don't know why people tie anything other than the four in hand.
Because they look great when properly executed. A double windsor:
i847hVY.png

Reactions: 1 users
Do not get a skinny tie. Do not tie an Eldredge knot.

Get a tie that is 3.5 or so inches wide and tie a double Windsor.

Do not get a skinny tie. Do not tie an Eldredge knot.

Get a tie that is 3.5 or so inches wide and tie a double Windsor.
Honestly I feel like the knot you tie has to come down to the material of the tie and the spread of your collar/width of lapel. It's a case-by-case basis thing. And double windsors can indeed look good, but if you tie them huge and floppy you'll look like an ESPN sportscaster. I don't recommend for a rookie.

Wow, I wish I could tie a double windsor without it looking ESPN-bulky.

Tie a 1/2 Windsor instead of a Full. If you tie it properly (tight) it's a medium sized knot, and while naturally asymmetrical, it will look symmetrical under the collar if adjusted properly.

Tie a 1/2 Windsor instead of a Full. If you tie it properly (tight) it's a medium sized knot, and while naturally asymmetrical, it will look symmetrical under the collar if adjusted properly.

Yep, that's what I've been doing... but it sucks having to fiddle with the knot to make it appear symmetrical. I've tried the full windsor and it's just too bulky no matter what I do, but I want that natural symmetry.

Yep, that's what I've been doing... but it sucks having to fiddle with the knot to make it appear symmetrical. I've tried the full windsor and it's just too bulky no matter what I do, but I want that natural symmetry.

There are so few knots that are small and symmetrical (because this takes two wraps around the tie to do). The closest I've seen are well-adjusted Pratt and Half Windsors. It seems the FIH will be tilted just no matter what you do.

If you want natural symmetry, but a less-bulky knot you're going to have to go shopping for a specific tie. Normal width (3-3.5'') but particularly thin material tied into a full Windsor. Problem is, a lot of ties that fit that description are cheap. Thin, cheap ties are also not known to hold dimples well.

It takes an extra minute to do, but a well-tied half Windsor on a quality tie adjusted to appear symmetrical does wonders and looks very dapper.

By the way, there is an entire thread devoted to this kind of question.
hu11g.jpg
Thanks for coming out of the woodworks for that update, lurker.

There are so few knots that are small and symmetrical (because this takes two wraps around the tie to do). The closest I've seen are well-adjusted Pratt and Half Windsors. It seems the FIH will be tilted just no matter what you do.

If you want natural symmetry, but a less-bulky knot you're going to have to go shopping for a specific tie. Normal width (3-3.5'') but particularly thin material tied into a full Windsor. Problem is, a lot of ties that fit that description are cheap. Thin, cheap ties are also not known to hold dimples well.

It takes an extra minute to do, but a well-tied half Windsor on a quality tie adjusted to appear symmetrical does wonders and looks very dapper.

I wish I knew what Obama's secret is. I'm pretty sure he ties a four-in-hand, but somehow either through adjusting the triangle or something he gets it so it's long, narrow, and most interestingly, concave on both sides (i.e. it curves inward on both sides of the knot, then broadens out at the bottom). I mean when I have more of a knot to work with I can adjust the width and concavity of say, a double windsor for a similar effect. But it's never as long and slender as this. His tie knots really are perfect, and no matter how much I practice I just can't replicate this with an FIH. I think the difference must be the material of the ties. The fabric must be extremely thick or something and carefully selected for the express purpose of resulting in a glorious knot. Anyway I'm not a huge fan of the man as a politician but I'm a close follower of his inimitable tie game. Looking over some of these pictures again it could be a carefully adjusted half windsor... anyway feel free to provide input.

esq-barack-obama-blue-tie-062311-xlg.jpg

2009-02-18-obama.jpg

Barack+Obama+Ties+Striped+Tie+8noAgBRhyfFl.jpg

... anyway feel free to provide input.

Looks like very well tied half-windsors to me, four-in-hands are usually too small for most adults as well as looking pretty unsymmetrical. If tied correctly, half-windsors can still look very symmetric. My half-windsors are not quite picture perfect as Obama's, but look somewhat similar.

Half-windsor is definitely my preferred knot. Full windsor makes me look like a tiny person. Unless you are a very large/tall person, full windsors tend to look pretty bulky for most people.

Last edited:

Wear a standard width tie, four-in-hand knot, and leave your "fashionable" tie bar at home. Be boring, navy or burgundy are fine. Buttoning the jacket if you are walking in the wind will prevent the thing from flapping in the breeze.

FWIW, I wore a skinny purple tie with a double Windsor knot and was accepted at multiple schools. Jesus, I hope my tie didn't hold me back from more... :scared:
Lol, I think part of the point is just to give some guidance to rookies who are truly lost when it comes to clothing and just need some safe advice.

the thickness of the tie should be matching your bodybuild. if you're a big guy with a broad chest/shoulders then you will look funny with a skinny, skinny tie.
if you do choose a skinny tie, choose a knot that will look full between the collars.

Thanks for coming out of the woodworks for that update, lurker.

I wish I knew what Obama's secret is. I'm pretty sure he ties a four-in-hand, but somehow either through adjusting the triangle or something he gets it so it's long, narrow, and most interestingly, concave on both sides (i.e. it curves inward on both sides of the knot, then broadens out at the bottom). I mean when I have more of a knot to work with I can adjust the width and concavity of say, a double windsor for a similar effect. But it's never as long and slender as this. His tie knots really are perfect, and no matter how much I practice I just can't replicate this with an FIH. I think the difference must be the material of the ties. The fabric must be extremely thick or something and carefully selected for the express purpose of resulting in a glorious knot. Anyway I'm not a huge fan of the man as a politician but I'm a close follower of his inimitable tie game. Looking over some of these pictures again it could be a carefully adjusted half windsor... anyway feel free to provide input.

esq-barack-obama-blue-tie-062311-xlg.jpg

2009-02-18-obama.jpg

Barack+Obama+Ties+Striped+Tie+8noAgBRhyfFl.jpg
I can practically guarantee you those are four-in-hands, and the second one looks like ****. The first one's not that great either.

I've got a good trick for getting that "concave" look you're talking about, but it's almost impossible to explain in words.