Ties, shirts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank Hardy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would ask this just to be safe. There was a good suit thread a few days ago. I was wondering if it is appropriate to wear a blue shirt instead of the traditional white with grey or black suit?

Also, are any types of ties inappropriate? Should men just stick to a solid+ light colored tie? Are striped ties acceptable/professional?

What is everyone else doing? I think light yellow tie/white or blue shirt is ok.
Yeah, I haven't had many professional interviews in life.

Members don't see this ad.

I say anything that isn't flamboyant is fair game. Of course I suck at fashion, so I probably wear things people think look stupid.

I have every intention of wearing a colored, striped, or checkered shirt and a striped or patterned tie. I don't wear solid ties, and I don't really like wearing solid colored shirts.

Wear a suit and tie, and don't look obnoxious. Those are really the only rules.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't ever do white button-downs. I'll probably do a lot of shirt-tie combos as it goes on, mainly different colored solids, I don't do patterns so much either.

I don't even own a white shirt. Haven't for years. Whenever I wear my suit I wear a solid color, and a solid color tie. It seemed like most people at my interviews last year wore a plain white shirt with a red pattern tie.

I thought I would ask this just to be safe. There was a good suit thread a few days ago. I was wondering if it is appropriate to wear a blue shirt instead of the traditional white with grey or black suit?

Also, are any types of ties inappropriate? Should men just stick to a solid+ light colored tie? Are striped ties acceptable/professional?

What is everyone else doing? I think light yellow tie/white or blue shirt is ok.
Yeah, I haven't had many professional interviews in life.

a blue shirt is perfectly acceptable for an interview.

striped ties are perfectly fine as well.

i'd stay away from theme ties (looney tunes, tobasco sauce, fish, etc.)

a site to check out (not necessarily to buy from since it is expensive) would be brooks brothers; specifically their suits. direct link here: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/men/landing_suits.tem they're contemporary while remaining conservative, which is what you need to exude at your interview. i'm definitley not saying to buy your things from there, but what they have on the site would be what to aim for when shopping (as far as colors, styles).

I am thinking of wearing a suit like Dr. Rey. That is ok right?

Actually, I thought Brooks Brothers was more than that. My main suit was around 800 dollars. I do have to get it custom tailored due to my size and what not...so it eliminates the cheaper ones I guess.

I am thinking of wearing a suit like Dr. Rey. That is ok right?

If you are talking about the wide pinstripe black suit, cufflinks and colorful tie outfits he often wears, that's actually not horrible (I saw some of that at my interviews), but if you are talking about the sleeveless black scrubs, I would suggest not. :)

a blue shirt is perfectly acceptable for an interview.

striped ties are perfectly fine as well.

i'd stay away from theme ties (looney tunes, tobasco sauce, fish, etc.)

a site to check out (not necessarily to buy from since it is expensive) would be brooks brothers; specifically their suits. direct link here: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/men/landing_suits.tem they're contemporary while remaining conservative, which is what you need to exude at your interview. i'm definitley not saying to buy your things from there, but what they have on the site would be what to aim for when shopping (as far as colors, styles).
I think I'm going to order some of those $300 custom shirts.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are talking about the wide pinstripe black suit, cufflinks and colorful tie outfits he often wears, that's actually not horrible (I saw some of that at my interviews), but if you are talking about the sleeveless black scrubs, I would suggest not. :)

french cuff shirts with the requisite cuff links always goes over well.

however, thin pinstripes tend to go over better than wide/bold/thick pinstripes.

:thumbup:

I think I'm going to order some of those $300 custom shirts.

I thought the same thing, paused, and realized that was three and a half secondaries. For a shirt. ....right.

Gentlemen, if I may offer some advice as a non-trad who worked in a coat-and-tie office for a couple years after college, I know that buying dress clothes can be pricey, especially for the college student/recent college grad of limited means. If you're looking for shirts and ties, I'd suggest eBay. As far as shirts, if you know your size (15.5 and 34, in my case), you can go to the Dress Shirts section, plug in your measurements, and see what comes up. Generally, you can get some great deals, especially if you don't mind wearing a used shirt (as long as it's in great condition, of course). As far as ties go, just type in a particular company (I'd try Brooks Brothers, as mentioned above, or Ralph Lauren - both are pretty conservative but classy) and see what's available. I've picked up a few ties from there, from the companies I mentioned above, and they were all less than $20, including shipping.

If you need a suit and can't quite afford one from a store in your area, I'd suggest hitting up used/vintage clothing stores. Look for a suit that fits your shoulders and is in your size (for me, 40R or 40S). If you find one that fits your shoulders and has pants that fit your waist, get it. You can take it to a tailor and pay them $50 or whatever, and they'll cut it up so it fits your sleeve and pant lengths. I also did this, back in my coat-and-tie days, and got a couple suits for $20 each at a Goodwill, then just had them tailored - all in all, it cost me about $70 a suit. This generally will only work for people in a decent-sized city, though, with a good handful of vintage/used stores to peruse. You can also find some suits on eBay too, but just be sure that the sellers have a "Return" option, so if it doesn't fit, you're not out $300 or whatever. And actually, eBay does have some nice Brooks Brothers suits for a fraction of the cost.

That's my advice. Obviously, if you can afford the new $500 suits or your parents are willing to help out, go that route. But just wanted to throw out my experiences to give some of you others some guidance.

also, unless you were a 1st-round NBA draft pick, don't get a suit with more than three buttons.

all of the advice being given on this thread is very good, but i am just wondering...aren't we all (myself included) obsessing just a wee bit too much about our suits/bags/shoes/ties/shirts etc.? I remember my pre-medical advisor telling me that as long as you look neat, clean, and professional, you will do fine. I honestly don't think they are expecting us to all look flawless and put together like a businessman/woman. I actually know two people who applied last cycle who did NOT wear suits (both were female) and both got in to their top choice. Somehow I am beginning to think that the interview doesn't depend entirely on our appearance...:cool:

Hell I'm going to wear a light blue dress shirt myself with a dark navy suit and a navy/black striped tie. I never had any intention of going near the traditional black suit and white shirt. It's not that I wouldn't look good in a black suit, but navy blue always looks good on me, so seems like the better choice.

on a two button suit, do you button both or just the top button?

Somehow I am beginning to think that the interview doesn't depend entirely on our appearance...:cool:

Of course it doesn't. If you "look professional", the interviewer tends to check that box and move on to the more important parts of the interview -- they obviously won't really care whether you are wearing a suit that's out of style or a tie that's too wide. However psychologically people who really have their act together clothing-wise are potentially going to score points subconsciously. People often do judge a book by its cover, so to the extent you can score those subtle points by looking sharp, you might as well snag them. But you are right -- as long as you look generally groomed and professional that's not the part of the interview that's going to keep you out of med school.

i was going with a solid dark colored shirt stripped/colorful tie and a navy blue suit
hows that sound?

I am wearing a blue shirt too. I own a few suits (I am non-trad and work in an ortho office as an NP) but my favorite is an awesome chocolate brown one that looks great with a french blue shirt and a beige/brown/blue tie.

I think as long as you look put together and also look comfortable wearing grown up clothes, it is fine.

I'm not a guy, but for what it's worth. ..

If you are confident in what you are wearing, it will show and you'll do better in your interview.

If I'm worried about whether I wore the wrong shoes/shirt/etc., it will take just a little bit of my focus away from the actual interview.

But, if you know you look d*** good, you'll be that much more confident.

Wow, men's fashion is so very complicated.

I saw a tie at JC Pennies a few years back - it was red and said "I'm too sexy" in white script all over it. I think that would be inappropriate. Outside of that - the world is your oyster.

I'm tall (6'5" ish) so all of my suits are three or four buttons...what are the rules for those? I've heard everything from top button only to all except the bottom...???

I'm tall (6'5" ish) so all of my suits are three or four buttons...what are the rules for those? I've heard everything from top button only to all except the bottom...???

General rule is all but the bottom button when standing, unbuttoned when sitting.

Wow, men's fashion is so very complicated.

I saw a tie at JC Pennies a few years back - it was red and said "I'm too sexy" in white script all over it. I think that would be inappropriate. Outside of that - the world is your oyster.

Pfft... no it's not! This is the only thing we have to worry about. I can't even begin to understand what goes on first when doing makeup.

all of the advice being given on this thread is very good, but i am just wondering...aren't we all (myself included) obsessing just a wee bit too much about our suits/bags/shoes/ties/shirts etc.? I remember my pre-medical advisor telling me that as long as you look neat, clean, and professional, you will do fine. I honestly don't think they are expecting us to all look flawless and put together like a businessman/woman. I actually know two people who applied last cycle who did NOT wear suits (both were female) and both got in to their top choice. Somehow I am beginning to think that the interview doesn't depend entirely on our appearance...:cool:

yes, because now that amcas is over and secondaries are turned in, we need something to obsess about...

A suit is an investment. Like someone said before, if you have the perfect suit for your body, you will feel extremely confident. Why not drop the extra 150 for that reassurance.