Ties to Texas for OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Terious

Keyblade Master
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not applying this cycle but I was just curious about this matter.

I lived in Texas for 1.5 years and attended high school there during that time. I understand I wouldn't qualify as IS but would this be significant enough ties to the state to consider applying to all the Texas schools?
I'm currently a NY state resident of that helps.

Blame it on the a-a-a-autocorrect.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you graduate HS from TX? If so, that makes it much more significant, but I'd suggest you call one of the Texas med schools and ask them.

Did you graduate HS from TX? If so, that makes it much more significant, but I'd suggest you call one of the Texas med schools and ask them.

No I didn't. I only attended for half of sophomore and all of freshman year.
Thank you for the advice, I definitely will! My only concern is that they'll suggest applying anyway to take application money. (perhaps I'm being cynical here...)

If anyone else wants to chime in, that'd be awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I didn't. I only attended for half of sophomore and all of freshman year.
Thank you for the advice, I definitely will! My only concern is that they'll suggest applying anyway to take application money. (perhaps I'm being cynical here...)

If anyone else wants to chime in, that'd be awesome.

Can't really comment, but you can always include it in a PS to them. The cost of applying out of state to all TX schools is still pretty cheap, plus on the MSAR that chances of an interview from OOS is really high, like 18% for some schools (even though the chances of admission is low), if you're confident about acing an interview and you have great grades, totally apply. OOS tuition is still cheap compared to 40k+ schools.

You should definitely apply if you've got ties.

I'm an OOS student at a TX MD school and there are several people in my class (including myself) who had never even been to TX before our interview. Of course, having ties is preferred.

As a bonus, all the OOS students at my school (and at least at several other TX state schools, if not all of them) automatically receive scholarships to make tuition equal to the IS rate

Can't really comment, but you can always include it in a PS to them. The cost of applying out of state to all TX schools is still pretty cheap, plus on the MSAR that chances of an interview from OOS is really high, like 18% for some schools (even though the chances of admission is low), if you're confident about acing an interview and you have great grades, totally apply. OOS tuition is still cheap compared to 40k+ schools.

You should definitely apply if you've got ties.

I'm an OOS student at a TX MD school and there are several people in my class (including myself) who had never even been to TX before our interview. Of course, having ties is preferred.

As a bonus, all the OOS students at my school (and at least at several other TX state schools, if not all of them) automatically receive scholarships to make tuition equal to the IS rate

Thank you so much guys! I'll definitely apply when the time comes.

There is a place in the application (600 chars) for you to explain anything you want them to know regarding your residency. I myself grew up in Texas but am not considered a legal resident anymore since my parents moved, and I got a research job in my college town (OOS) after graduating. I'm applying this cycle, so hopefully having lived there for almost 20 years and graduating high school in Texas counts as a strong enough tie, lol...

There is a place in the application (600 chars) for you to explain anything you want them to know regarding your residency. I myself grew up in Texas but am not considered a legal resident anymore since my parents moved, and I got a research job in my college town (OOS) after graduating. I'm applying this cycle, so hopefully having lived there for almost 20 years and graduating high school in Texas counts as a strong enough tie, lol...

I wish I had ties as strong as you do! Good luck this cycle if you're applying! I'm hoping you do well and I can use it as a rough guide to see how my cycle as OOS Texas applicant will go :D