Ties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

how do you tie your tie

• windsor

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • half windsor

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • four in hand

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • pratt

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the illest style.
-mota

Members don't see this ad.

Thin and solid colored:
tiescurled22.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
diagonal stripes aren't so bad.
-mota

Law2Doc said:
What about the Shelby?

****. never heard of it. my bad.
-mota

depends on the collar you have. buttoned down collars should have a four in hand as it is the smallest i think. other collars are more versatile, but i stick with four in hand as a rule of thumb because i think it's safer to go small than to go too big.

four in hand is kinda lopsided looking to me. ehhhhh
-mota

DaMota said:
whats the illest style.
-mota
Haha, it seems like you use SDN more for fashion advice. I'm not dissing...just seems like a funny observation on my part. :D

Windsor, of course. At the retailer where I work (hello discount), they tell us to recommend the 4 in 1 :p We even give out little cards with that information for people if they look really stymied.

PS - Hermès ties all the way, they are so awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think windsor is a bit too bulky. Half-windsor is the ticket.

rectangular tie with rat tail. they won't care about the knot.

yourmom25 said:
not if you do it correctly. haha.
The four-in-hand is always a little lopsided, no matter how well you tie it, and so its actually considered to be a 'less formal' knot. Its only when you move up to the half windsor that you actually get a nice, even knot. Personally, I prefer spread collared dress shirts with a full windsor knot.

Depends on the tie length and the thickness of the cloth. I have had silk ties that I had to tie with a full windsor to make it look right...but for most of my ties I use the four in hand.

And I agree, the four-in-hand is not lopsided at all if you do it right. I went to boarding school and tied hundreds of these...you just gotta have the skillz :laugh:

just try them all and see which one looks the best with your shirt and suit. don't pick something that looks lopsided or loose as it will reflect upon your personality (it sounds stupid, but its just a thought). thats what i did, i don't even know the names of half of these ties.

good luck on your interviews

Bow-tie of course! Seriously though, I tied a tie like 6 months ago and have yet to untie it. Plus I forgot how I tied it lol.

anon-y-mouse said:
Windsor, of course. At the retailer where I work (hello discount), they tell us to recommend the 4 in 1 :p We even give out little cards with that information for people if they look really stymied.

most hermes ties i've seen have wacky prints with like hippos and flowers and stuff - fashionable, but i was worried it might not be "professional" enough for the med school interview...def. good for the white coat ceremony though...

i got a kick ass green tie for my tulane interview today at banana republic.
-mota

etf said:
most hermes ties i've seen have wacky prints with like hippos and flowers and stuff - fashionable, but i was worried it might not be "professional" enough for the med school interview...def. good for the white coat ceremony though...

I got a TON of compliments about my tie with little ducks on it. and furthermore, I got into the two schools where I wore ties with the animal prints :) Professional is a state of mind. Plus, the patterns are good enough not to be cheesy.

For the conservative in you, H makes monogram and other "non-wacky" pattern ties though.

Skinny ties? I personally don't like.

ps - damota, you talked about diag stripes... just make sure to never wear a striped tie with a striped shirt unless it looks absolutely amazing. it can look really distracting.

half windsor. regular windsor is too fat.

novawildcat said:
half windsor. regular windsor is too fat.

I've heard that the windsor knot is supposed to imply confidence because it is so big. I think that any of the knots would be fine as long as they look neat.

anon-y-mouse said:

Wow. People dissing Hermes as tacky. What's next, threads about getting in with a 3.9 and a 41?

Is anyone on here sane?