Tiger Woods is now the Mike Tyson of golf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mike Tyson was unbeatable in his heyday. The

ICEMAN

of boxing.

Then came his marriage to

Robin Givens

and he

lost the edge.

Tiger Woods was the ICEMAN of golf.

Then he got married.

Wandered.

And fell.

Anyone else see a correlation here?

Seems to me

if you're at the top and wanna stay there,

distraction is your enemy

Much more than your foe.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

ICEMAN

of boxing.

Robin Givens

and he

lost the edge.

Then he got married.

Wandered.

And fell.

Seems to me

more than your foe.

I don't think there's a correlation between marriage and failure. I think there's a correlation between A) the decision-making capacity of an individual who chooses to have sex with busted Hooters waitresses over a supermodel and 2) failure.

I don't think there's a correlation between marriage and failure. I think there's a correlation between A) the decision-making capacity of an individual who chooses to have sex with busted Hooters waitresses over a supermodel and 2) failure.

Not implying a correlation between marriage and failure...at least that's not the most important part...a supporting cast maybe.

Implying

DISTRACTION

is more powerful than your opponent.

Btw Mike Tyson wasn't schtooping busted Hooter's waitresses, Tiger was, but

They both ended up in the same boat.

Remarkable, regardless of viewpoint how similar their end result is.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not implying a correlation between marriage and failure...at least that's not the most important part...a supporting cast maybe.

Implying

DISTRACTION

is more powerful than your opponent.

Btw Mike Tyson wasn't schtooping busted Hooter's waitresses, Tiger was, but

They both ended up in the same boat.

Remarkable, regardless of viewpoint how similar they're end result is.

The example was specific to Tiger since I surmised his continued fall was the inspiration for the post.

And, with regards to the general topic, I mean, yes? I don't know that anyone's really going to argue the point that distraction is bad for being the best of the best of the best, with honor. Women, cars, guns, alcohol, drugs, getting punched in the head too many times exacerbating likely pre-existing mental illness, even family and friends are all distractions. I think we could all be a little bit better at what we do if we cut out a few more distractions, but most of us choose to have a few distractions out of the belief that they're good for balance.

I believe that money is the root of evil here. There are just some people that think just because they make a lot of money they are important and the world owes them something. That they deserve whatever it is they want. They feel that they are in titled to it. Anyone familiar with the confession of the S. Carolina presidential candidate who's name escapes me right now.

Mark Sanford-the governor who said he was on the "Appalachian Trail"-he was actually traversing some other mountains at the time....

I believe that money is the root of evil here. There are just some people that think just because they make a lot of money they are important and the world owes them something. That they deserve whatever it is they want. They feel that they are in titled to it. Anyone familiar with the confession of the S. Carolina presidential candidate who's name escapes me right now.

Mark Sanford-the governor who said he was on the "Appalachian Trail"-he was actually traversing some other mountains at the time....

I was thinking more of the personal injury lawyer whose wife unfortunately had breast CA. Am I wrong? Was it Sanford that said he felt "entitled"?

I was thinking more of the personal injury lawyer whose wife unfortunately had breast CA. Am I wrong? Was it Sanford that said he felt "entitled"?

You're thinking of Mark Edwards, from the fine state of North Carolina. Both good examples, not sure which one said they felt "entitled."

I love Tiger. Sad to see him SUCK. I think he needs to get back into player mode so he can get his golf mojo back.

Jet, I don't see it.

What about Kobe Bryant? He did some similar ish in his personal life but he still remained a good athlete and never really fell off his game.

Jet, I don't see it.

What about Kobe Bryant? He did some similar ish in his personal life but he still remained a good athlete and never really fell off his game.

That's a good point, how some athletes can recover. Hopefully Tiger can pull out of his nose dive.

Last edited:
I do see what you mean jetproppilot. It's not that they did it in exact terms but it is more that they were the epitome of success in their sport. Untouchables if you will. And it all got to their heads. Some managed to survive their self destructive behavior while others didn't and still others are trying to regain what they once had (Tiger).

ICEMAN

of boxing.

Robin Givens

and he

lost the edge.

Then he got married.

Wandered.

And fell.

Seems to me

Much more than your foe.

Wasn't Tyson's downfall from getting put on an SSRI? He was not the same after that happened - really mellowed the guy out. If Pacquiao started taking Zoloft, I doubt he would be the maniac he is today.

I believe that money is the root of evil here.

Money isn't the root of evil. The LOVE for money is however.

Lot's of filthy rich people in the world that do amazing things with their money and are huge contributors to society that make the world a much better place.

I do see what you mean jetproppilot. It's not that they did it in exact terms but it is more that they were the epitome of success in their sport. Untouchables if you will. And it all got to their heads. Some managed to survive their self destructive behavior while others didn't and still others are trying to regain what they once had (Tiger).

Sometimes the wrong head makes the decisions. ;)

Money isn't the root of evil. The LOVE for money is however.

Lot's of filthy rich people in the world that do amazing things with their money and are huge contributors to society that make the world a much better place.

I should have emphasized the "here". I was strictly referring to the individuals mentioned.

I think the admiration for Tiger represents just another example how humans are basically mindless worshipping sheep. If Tiger keeps shanking shots off the fairway, serves him right because he's a cheating pig. But if he suddenly wins majors again then he's then a really good guy that slipped up and made human mistakes. Think about it, how he hits a friggin golf ball will determine how a lot of people will view his off course shananigans.

Most people shouldn't care about his off course shenanigans, has no effect on them at all. I simply like seeing the best (whoever that may be) perform at their best.