Timbuk2 Messenger bags

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have this new laptop and I need someway to carry it around campus with me. I do have a laptop case but it's big and bulky, so I was considering buying a Timbuk2 messenger bag for next year. My question is: do they provide enough protection for your computer? Can your laptop take a few bumps if it's in the bag? I would definitely appreciate any feedback Timbuk2 owners have had with this bag.

Members don't see this ad.

I am the proud owner of the Detour Timbuk2 bag. It is spectacular. I have had it for two years during which it has seen daily use. By use, I mean abuse as I take it everywhere and am not particularly gentle. It looks, however, almost the same as the day I got it. Their bags are remarkably watertight and very comfortable to carry even long distances. I would highly reccomend any timbuk2 bag, but especially the ones with laptop padding. The padding is not rigid, but about 1/2-3/4 inch of medium stiffness that does a very sufficient job while still being light enough to carry.

My classmates all got laptop bags with out laptops at the start of last year. We all received these ok, probably 30$ or so bags that were nothing special. I put it away and have used my Timbuk2 bag. Most of their bags are in tatters, but mine (with an extra year of use) still looks brand new.

Its worth the extra change, buy the quality.

When I bought, ebags.com sold timbuk2. I don't know if they still do or not, but they often run coupons and have free shipping specials which make them somewhat cheaper than from timbuk2.com

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.

silas2642 said:
So I have this new laptop and I need someway to carry it around campus with me. I do have a laptop case but it's big and bulky, so I was considering buying a Timbuk2 messenger bag for next year. My question is: do they provide enough protection for your computer? Can your laptop take a few bumps if it's in the bag? I would definitely appreciate any feedback Timbuk2 owners have had with this bag.

I've had a timbuk2 bag (not for computer, but...) since February 2000 and though it's a little dirty, it's the best bag I've ever owned. The things are so watertight I spilled 1/2 a nalgene bottle full of water in mine and didn't know it till I opened up the bag an hour later!!! Not kidding!!! Also, I love the company becuase they supplied our street outreach team with free bags. And a lot of them are still made right in San Francosco using workers who make a decent wage.

THat all being said, go to their website at timbuk2.com -- there's a whole section just for laptop bags. They also have envalope style cases to put your computer in so you can carry it in any bag you want.

love love love the bags :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It'sElectric said:

I'm going to be getting a messenger bag pretty soon. I agree that the timbuk2 bags are very nice and have good padding and compartmentalization. On a trip out west I found a store that had chrome messenger bags. They are also every well-constructed and comfortable. However, I don't think that they would work the best for carrying a laptop. The timbuk2 bag has a special spot (a padded sleeve) for protecting a laptop. The chrome bag doesn't come with such a compartment...it is just one big pocket. You'd have to purchase a separate sleeve to store a laptop and then put that in the bag.

Also, since I've been very happy with LL Bean products, I am looking at the Heatwave Messenger Bag ($59).

scotttennis said:
I'm going to be getting a messenger bag pretty soon. I agree that the timbuk2 bags are very nice and have good padding and compartmentalization. On a trip out west I found a store that had chrome messenger bags. They are also every well-constructed and comfortable. However, I don't think that they would work the best for carrying a laptop. The timbuk2 bag has a special spot (a padded sleeve) for protecting a laptop. The chrome bag doesn't come with such a compartment...it is just one big pocket. You'd have to purchase a separate sleeve to store a laptop and then put that in the bag.

Also, since I've been very happy with LL Bean products, I am looking at the Heatwave Messenger Bag ($59).

I've always loved LL Bean bags too.. they're practically indestructible and if anything does happen to them (which in my experience is a very freakish event), they'll replace them, no questions asked.

But I do seem to think that Timbuk2 offers a better bag although they are substantially more expensive. However, I just got a new laptop and I would like to protect this investment.

Keep the comments coming!!

I have had a patagonia half mass bag for about 3 years now and it's held up extremely well to my use (carrying it around every day, throwing it under my desk, dragged around on the floor of the T, tossed into my passenger seat, overloaded with stuff, etc). It fits my laptop and has enough space for atleast a biochemistry book and two notebooks (only time I've filled it to capacity). It's similar to the timbuk2 in coffee-tightness and rain resistance (holds half a cup of coffee nicely in the bottom and can widthstand 45 minutes in a full-on downpour at the T-stop). They used to make a similar sized, padded computer bag, but apparently they discontinued it....

I've also heard good things about both Baileyworks and Manhattan Portage bags if you want to get away from the main stream messenger bags

i personally don't like bags that are made for laptops. I bought a little neoprene sleeve for my laptop (made by gymspacific tech totes ) and it has worked great. it takes up almost no room in my bag and protects my laptop great. and I can put my laptop in it and put that in any bag i want to. I've been throwing my laptop around in this for a year with no damage.

i know that's not what you asked about, but in my opinion it's more functional than a laptop bag.

If you need a sleeve for your laptops check out a place called SF Bags I have had one for my small laptop for 3 years and it still looks brand new. I have never seen their bags but if their sleeve cases are any indication they are by far the best made I have ever seen Very high quality materials. And they look cool.