Feb 6, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys so I was hoping to get your thoughts on this. I recently graduated dental school in June and I commissioned with the Army earlier in the year. I will be attending BOLC (a 12 week officer training course) this month. I will potentially be away from dentistry for 6-7 months due to time after graduation to BOLC to reporting on base. I guess I'm a little worried about being away from dentistry for that long. Any thoughts? Thanks!

wildzodiac

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Probably not a good idea unless you like banks or uncle same knocking at your door asking why you haven't been paying your loan payments.

OP
I
Feb 6, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Probably not a good idea unless you like banks or uncle same knocking at your door asking why you haven't been paying your loan payments.
That's not an issue, I will be getting paid while I'm in training and will be able to begin payment on my loans well before the grace period is up. My concern was just being away from it all for that long, for example hand skills.

cmcner

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Status
Dentist
You'll be fine. I know plenty of people who had to retake their licensing exam who ended up away from dentistry longer than 6-7 months and they're doing fine. Just make sure you start your licensing process asap after graduating. Many states require you to explain gaps in dentistry and could potentially deny you your license so better just to have your license.

Daurang

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status
Dentist
You will be fine. I didn't do anything for a year after graduation...just chilling and traveling. Banks kept calling but so what? what they're gonna do? Then I open my practice and the rest is history.

Alikhan9

2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
You will be fine. I didn't do anything for a year after graduation...just chilling and traveling. Banks kept calling but so what? what they're gonna do? Then I open my practice and the rest is history.
Boss much?

Reactions: Daurang

ysrebob

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
Status
Dentist
Pretty sure you need to have an active license in place before you report in for active duty or you will lose any special pays dentists are entitled to, so definitely get the boards etc done now.

Dont worry about rusty hand skills. Army will ease you in, and you'll make huge progress once you start seeing a regular patient load day after day.

Aug 29, 2016
Status
Psychologist
It will be fine don't worry about such a thing.. everything will change after some time! You're not the only one who passed through this!

gatorfan99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
U.S. Army
Status
Dentist
Hey guys so I was hoping to get your thoughts on this. I recently graduated dental school in June and I commissioned with the Army earlier in the year. I will be attending BOLC (a 12 week officer training course) this month. I will potentially be away from dentistry for 6-7 months due to time after graduation to BOLC to reporting on base. I guess I'm a little worried about being away from dentistry for that long. Any thoughts? Thanks!
You will be fine - I doubt you will be away from dentistry for 6-7 months, probably more like BOLC (12 weeks) + moving/in-processing (at most, 1 month). You are just starting out and you have barely started to accumulate leave days.

Enjoy BOLC - quit worrying and try to learn about "soldiering" as much as you can, you will fit in better if do

gatorfan99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
U.S. Army
Status
Dentist
to the OP: no "traveling and chilling" for you without command approval