Army Time between graduation and the start of my army career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROTC Cadet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much time an HPSP student would have between graduation (typcially mid-May) and the start of one's career in the Army, ie. active duty time as a dentist? Does it being almost immediately or is there a lull period or a month/s?

I'm wondering if I'll have time between graduation and the start of my Army life in order to do some traveling/hiking?

Members don't see this ad.

How it is when I was enlisted which is pretty much how I assume it is now, is after you graduate they will give you a date (probably a few weeks) that you are to report to your base by and have that time before your report date to get everything in order.

What normally happens is that you graduate, say 15 May. You haven't been to BOLC by virtue of your academic schedule while in HPSP, so, you will report to BOLC on 15 June or there about. Then there is an addition two or three weeks at Fort Sam for specialized training in the Dental Corps. From there you are off to your first duty station. The key thing here is that your stipend will stop upon graduation, and you will not receive military pay until the end of June, so plan accordingly.

If you have been to BOLC the Dental Corps advisor will determine if you go straight to your first duty station or, if you do the dental track enroute.