Time during dental school to wash clothes, eat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KahunaDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi current dental students.

I'm looking forward to this coming fall as I have been admitted to two dental schools and will be a *gasp* dental student!

The thing that bothers and worry me is the amount of time you get to do chores.

I am wondering if you guys ever have time to shower, wash your clothes, eat etc.??

I am not talking about play time where you go out with friends and drink on a Friday night. I'm just talking about time in general where you get to shower, make your dinner and clean your room.

I am the type of person who likes to cook my own food (i.e. cooking stew, frying fish, making rice, etc). I usually hate eating out and hate eating fast food. I sometimes eat a Subway sandwich, but hell no to McDonalds and other burger joints, as it's bad for your health.

Anyhow, tell me some of you dental students schedule experiences during your first year of dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

You guys make me laugh! I will give you the break down.

Q: What should I do to get ready for dental school?
A: Nothing! Drink, play video games, watch TV, go on trips, what ever makes you happy!

Q: Will I have time to do chores?
A: YES! School is usually from 8-3 or 4 or 5. If you cannot (or don't want to) get your chores done it is not your schools fault

Q: How much time will I spend studying?
A: As much as it takes. Sometimes you will study for 3-4 days straight.

Q: Is it really that hard?
A: No, dental schools know you are smart, but they don't think you are a freakin genius

Q: Will I have time to have fun?
A: If you like having fun, you will find the time

Q: Am I psycho for asking all of these crazy questions?
A: Yes

-C

I'm shocked that a person who is supposedly smart enough to get into dental school wants to know if they will have time to eat during dental school. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm shocked that a person who is supposedly smart enough to get into dental school wants to know if they will have time to eat during dental school. :thumbup:

No no, I'm talking about spending time making food for a the upcoming weeks.

For example, cooking enough spaghetti sauce to feed me for the entire week since I will not have time to cook monday through friday.

I don't know about you, but cooking spaghettic sauce doesn't take five minutes. It's more like half and hour to an hour and a half depending on what ingredients you use.

No no, I'm talking about spending time making food for a the upcoming weeks.

For example, cooking enough spaghetti sauce to feed me for the entire week since I will not have time to cook monday through friday.

I don't know about you, but cooking spaghettic sauce doesn't take five minutes. It's more like half and hour to an hour and a half depending on what ingredients you use.

Okay, you will have time to cook meals some nights, others when your cramped if you have a lot of tests coming up you'll have to grab something quick.

I too like to cook and found it to be a GREAT stress relief during school

If you can't find 2 hours to cook food and do chores, you are using you're time inefficiently no matter what is on your daily agenda.

Two answers: First, I really really hope everyone makes time for these things, because if you start to lose yourself, health, and general cleanliness, maybe dental school has gotten the best of you and it may be tough to get through 4 years!

Second, as I've said in general to similar posts: you can ALWAYS find time for anything you want to do. You need to plan ahead (actually thing about which topics you'll study when), prioritize for which non-school things are important (how much you want to watch TV versus be social versus work out), and study efficiently when you do study, so that you don't need to be in the books for as long.

Of course, this may be tongue-in-cheek (you'll learn a lot about both of those), in which case I commend you for making fun of your fellow predents and bow before you.

I don't recommend you wash your scrubs after gross lab though.......it's SOO much easier to hook up with people at bars if you have some stains to talk about!

Its entirely up to you. You can choose to be a hardout nerd and study day and night or you can spare yourself some time to enjoy your life. In my case its the latter.

chedule is quite tight. Usually from 8 to 5. Usually at least 3-4 hours clinical sessions a day depending on what year you are in. I often miss 8 oclock lectures- I honestly dont know what they thinking having lectures at 8... 9 is hard enough!!!

As for cooking etc, dentistry can be stressful both physically and mentally. If you see jackass patients for 6 hours with just 20 minutes for lunch you'll be exhausted when you get home. Situation worsens if you had double bookings or had a catfight with DA's. In my case I cant be stuffed cooking so I usually just eat out.

Enjoy yourself, dont stress out. Go out in the weekends and have alcohol as often as you can. Most of us still manage to pass and qualify. If you strangle yourself with stress you wont last.

Good luck!

Its entirely up to you. You can choose to be a hardout nerd and study day and night or you can spare yourself some time to enjoy your life. In my case its the latter.

Schedule is quite tight. Usually from 8 to 5. Usually at least 3-4 hours clinical sessions a day depending on what year you are in. I often miss 8 oclock lectures- I honestly dont know what they thinking having lectures at 8... 9 is hard enough!!!

As for cooking etc, dentistry can be stressful both physically and mentally. If you see jackass patients for 6 hours with just 20 minutes for lunch you'll be exhausted when you get home. Situation worsens if you had double bookings or had a catfight with DA's. In my case I cant be stuffed cooking so I usually just eat out.

Enjoy yourself, dont stress out. Go out in the weekends and have alcohol as often as you can. Most of us still manage to pass and qualify. If you strangle yourself with stress you wont last.

Good luck!

He really wasn't being mean. Also, in all fairness, you predents ask some silly questions sometimes.

i totally agree with this statement...and the one above about how someone can possibly get into dental school and then ask questions about having time to cook and shower..this and quite a few others really blow my mind. I really hope my classmates find time to shower... :rolleyes:

i totally agree with this statement...and the one above about how someone can possibly get into dental school and then ask questions about having time to cook and shower..this and quite a few others really blow my mind. I really hope my classmates find time to shower... :rolleyes:

No, No, No.... I was being mean! :D
-C

Reactions: 1 user
When I started dental school, things were so crazy I didn't have time to use the restroom for about the first 3 months. 3 months! Thats a long time to go without urinating - but you gotta do what you gotta do. Or not do.

Its better than failing out of school!

Personally I plan to save time by eating my dirty clothes

perfect!!!! I've ripped pages out of my histo textbook when I'm in a noshing mood, but I'd never thought of that....

You could pay somebody to do the laundry and/or cook for you.:laugh:

When I started dental school, things were so crazy I didn't have time to use the restroom for about the first 3 months. 3 months! Thats a long time to go without urinating - but you gotta do what you gotta do. Or not do.

Its better than failing out of school!

that's what adult diapers are for

since school started in august:

ive done my laundry no more than 4 times!
gone grocery shopping no more than 4 times!
i have only left the great city of ann arbor no more than 8 times! (literally beyond city limits)

...and the funny part is i love dental school and im not a gunner! hehe:)