Time for family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SerenaRN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time are you able to spend with your children while in residency? I am interested in medical school, but don't quite know how it would work with trying to be there for my family. I am 24 years old, married, and my husband mainly stays home with our children.

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions from people who have been in a similar situation?

Thanks,

Serena

Members don't see this ad.

I think you posted elsewhere but the answer to your question is... depends on your residency. Gen Surg my advice would be to kiss your family bye for 5 years. Generally speaking the surgical residencies are way more time consuming. Some of the easier residencies tend to be more competetive the exceptions are Family and PM&R (which is up and coming).

I also have a BSN, RN and just finishing medical school. Well, medical school is a strain on the family for sure and now I am getting ready to begin my residency this July as a divorced mother.

If I had the choice again, I would probably do a Masters in Nursing for the benefit of my family.

Medical school and residency is very difficult for spouses and there have been many divorces including mine soon to come.

No matter the speciality your will not have much time for your family. Even Family Medicine is very demanding.

Good Luck

Something that doesn't get mentioned a lot but can make a huge difference to your lifestyle as a resident and byond is to life near your job. A commute of +/- 30 min/day will eat practically all of your free time. Obviously if you are at, for example, Temple in Philadelphia you can't live nearby but most places you can.

Honey, I feel for your situation. I really think the best thing to do is get your husband to a job, and let you stay at home with the kids. This will be MUCH better for them. Medical school for you, honey? That is TERRIBLE on the marriage and kids. Although, I must say, I can say this as a female former EMT, PA, and now medical student, I wouldnt have believed it before, but now that I am in the thickeythick of it, let me tell you: don't do it! Your husband should be bringing home the bacon while you cook it, believe me, that is the way to go.

Hope this helps

SerenaRN said:
How much time are you able to spend with your children while in residency? I am interested in medical school, but don't quite know how it would work with trying to be there for my family. I am 24 years old, married, and my husband mainly stays home with our children.

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions from people who have been in a similar situation?

Thanks,

Serena

Why bother, Le Donald? If you were at least funny, your post might be forgivable; but, honey, your comment is neither witty nor interesting nor thought-provoking. Really honey, it's just kind of pathetic.

Le_Donald said:
Honey, I feel for your situation. I really think the best thing to do is get your husband to a job, and let you stay at home with the kids. This will be MUCH better for them. Medical school for you, honey? That is TERRIBLE on the marriage and kids. Although, I must say, I can say this as a female former EMT, PA, and now medical student, I wouldnt have believed it before, but now that I am in the thickeythick of it, let me tell you: don't do it! Your husband should be bringing home the bacon while you cook it, believe me, that is the way to go.

Hope this helps

Kate D said:
Why bother, Le Donald? If you were at least funny, your post might be forgivable; but, honey, your comment is neither witty nor interesting nor thought-provoking. Really honey, it's just kind of pathetic.

Kate D dear, it is supposed to be informative, not hilarious. It's the way things are, and if the kids are NOT put first, then society produces people that think not putting kids first is OK, and it's a vicious cycle.

To the OP: If you are an ICU nurse, maybe you should look into becoming a CRNA (nurse anesthetist). It's 2 and a half years, no residency, and you can bank $150K+.

Le_Donald said:

Hope this helps

OMG! I can't believe I responded to this poster on another thread. Le_Donald is obviously a troll (a mildly entertaining troll at that: "brining home the bacon while you cook it" <- that's rich)

Le_Donald said:
Kate D dear, it is supposed to be informative, not hilarious. It's the way things are, and if the kids are NOT put first, then society produces people that think not putting kids first is OK, and it's a vicious cycle.

Hmmm...watch an episode of "Super Nanny" or simply go down to your local Wal-Mart and see what a generation who has "put kids first" has wrought.

Family comes before career, I agree,but there are too many people who believe that giving children whatever they want and refusing to make them sacrifice (ie, Mom has to study now, so you must entertain yourself) or understand that they are not the center of the universe or even the family. This has resulted in a generation of egocentric people with an enormous sense of entitlement. I fear for the future...

but since I am now guilty of baiting the troll, I shall sign off on this topic.

This is a tricky situation. I had a kid in med school. I know many that do as well. I spend plenty of time with my kid.

People get divorced with and without med school, it simply acts as an accelerant for problems already underlying a marriage.

You may end up divorced and bitter anyway for sacrificing your dream of bieng a doc. There are plenty of people with well adjusted families and marraiges in med school and residency.

Realize its hard, its stressful but its do-able. If you love wanting to be an MD and are dedicated, then go for it.