Time for hobbies/sports in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i plan on playing rugby. i HOPE to go into orthopedics....so for my sake, and the OPs, i hope it is possible to be in top 10% and play a competetive sport. and if it hasn't been done before, hopefully i'll be the first :)

Members don't see this ad.

The definition of superior means "of higher grade or quality." The word can't exist without something being inferior. I'd say calling someone inferior is looking down on them. There is a very distinct difference between confidence and arrogance. Sounds like you may have overestimated your "superior" intelligence a bit.

I'd also like to remind you that you said this:

And you want to be in the top 10%? I'd worry about getting in first smart guy.
Your ad-hominem attacks are very mature. I used to be very unmotivated, but I'm glad to have turned that around. You should be happy for me. You don't know anything about me to be making judgements about my character.

Never once in this thread did I say I was "superior" to anyone, and the first time that word popped up was when I was assuring NoUse4aName that I don't feel that way when he said I sounded "cocky." If you would remember, I said "I'm not trying to assert my superiority or anything." And in the post you quoted, I wasn't at all implying that I have been "asserting my superiority" in this thread. Honestly, your accusation is ridiculous: I don't know any of you well enough to even make the claim I am superior to you. You can believe what you want to believe--I honestly couldn't care less. It seems you have an excess of free time to look up my 500+ posts over the course of 2 years+, and (as they say) there's no use in arguing with a dog that will never stop barking.

gatorsball said:
You would think that someone as arrogant as yourself would want the whole world to know what special little sport you play...
I know! It doesn't make any sense now, does it?

I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread sans a malicious intent, especially the medical students. Your advice has been very helpful. :)

I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread sans a malicious intent, especially the medical students. Your advice has been very helpful. :)
Yea I put in some decent advice. You are welcome.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, the sport of curling, I suspect. Curling is obscure, yet it is an Olympic sport and it has a small but rabid fan base. Yes, by all means, you can continue curling and also study medicine.

Judo? That's my guess.

Eh, I'd rather not. Although it's an Olympic sport, it's not very well known (like boxing or running, for example) so I'd be compromising my identity if I posted it here.

hmmmmm so I just found out that they are now considering poker as an olympic sport!!!! So Virgil are you repping the US in Beijing this summer?

:smuggrin:

People! People! Watchya doin'? Honestly, some people are too worked up over this thread... Who really cares, it's the internet..

You do, which I was able to discern from your response. Not the content of the response, but simply because you responded. I am very intelligent and an excellent performer. And in saying that, I entrust in you, my humble readers, that you will in no way believe I am the least bit arrogant due to the content of this post(I'm under the assumption that my arrogance is somehow helpful to my readers). I prefer you (my readers) not to cast any harsh judgements on my character, for I will crush you under my superior wit with comebacks matched only by the Virgil himself. For example, regardless of the content of your accusation/attack, I will declare your attack to be the first logical fallacy that comes to mind. For example:

Person A: Why would I believe anything you wrote, you can't even spell "Judgment"!
I, the GREAT closer23: Your ad-hominem attacks are very mature. I used to be very unmotivated, but I'm glad to have turned that around. You should be happy for me. You don't know anything about me to be making judgements about my character.

And to any who wishes to flame* me due to this post. Remember that you're actions ultimately boil down to pathetic attempts to aggrandize yourself through witty comments. Again, I will not disclose my true identity. I have too many enemies, and although I myself am invincible, my family would be in danger.

*Use of this informal term is exclusively for readability. I figured that a more appropriate but at the same time more uncommon word such as "assail" would fail to bring the point across effectively to the average level of readers who frequent the Student Doctor Network.

The point is, that there is no need for some people to take this thread so serious. You took what I said out of context. I said, "Honestly, some people are too worked up over this thread... Who really cares, it's the internet." I think it's clear that I am not worked up over this thread from my previous posts...

Ok. You can tell us till you are blue in the face how you have certain qualities, but we have never witnessed them. There are people who can and will be like that. There will be people that study non-stop and only do mediocre. Most people don't aim to be average. I think your best policy would be to start medical school and see how you handle things sports free and THEN start tagging on hobbies once your routine is in order. Its just like the beginning of college. There will be those people that start out the gate volunteering and participating in damn near everything like it is high school...and then they get their a$$ handed to them academically because they don't realize the amount of time it takes.

If you want to be truly competitive in a sport during medical school then I highly doubt, unless you are a god, that it will happen. For the sake of this discussion, I will use tennis, although most any sport can be subbed in. To be competitive in tournaments, particularly at our age, one must not only hit around daily for at least an 1.5 hours- 2 hours, but they also have to do conditioning. On top of that, most people tend to, you know, bathe and stuff after that...which takes more time. If you are a natural born athlete this number can be reduced, but on average that is how much time it takes. Once you factor in food, sleep, study and the occasional interpersonal relationships...that'll be overload for many people. Then there will be the weekend competitions. You'll have to commute to those and oftentimes they will take at least an entire afternoon.

If you are talking a game of flag football or softball with friends once in a while then yes, perfectly doable. It is far removed now, but my dad raised two children, was a (fairly) competitive runner, and was top 10% with AOA and all that junk during med school. He wasn't winning competitions, but he was still pretty hardcore with it.

I will be number 1 in my medical school class and I will qualify for the Olympic gymnastics team.

If you stay in the top 10% you shouldn't do sports. Becuase people in the top 10% are constantly being stalked by gunners. And you wouldn't want a gunner to plan a sport accident to make you fail out of a class so they can be in the top 10% now would you?

:thumbup:

Oh, I thought wilco said it but now I see it was you! :thumbdown: Thank you for the thoughtful advice, though. :)

heheh...hope you didnt take it personally..i was just poking fun at your word choice, and consequently, the way you came off ...gluck w/ everything :thumbup:

Maybe if I said, "take the OP's posts so serious" instead of "this thread so serious," it would make sense to you? :)

i like the combo of ego stroking, sarcasm, and boohoo-he's-being-mean-to-me that's going on here.

That is why I left because I was really "boohoo-he's-being-mean-to-me" and then was just plain angered and realized I am wasting my time reading and posting on this forum.:p