• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Time for Match Lists!

wishperk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
    I'm in the midst of making my rank list, and thus far, my top 6 programs are as follows:

MGH
    Brigham
    U of Chicago
    U of Michigan
    Stanford
    UCSF

They're all great places, but I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the inside scoop on some or all of these programs.

Thanks in advance!

ckent

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    15+ Year Member
      Originally posted by wishperk
      I'm in the midst of making my rank list, and thus far, my top 6 programs are as follows:

MGH
      Brigham
      U of Chicago
      U of Michigan
      Stanford
      UCSF

They're all great places, but I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the inside scoop on some or all of these programs.

Thanks in advance!

It looks like you are ranking all high caliber schools. Would you mind disclosing some info about what school your from, grades, and board scores? I'm just curious about what numbers you need to get interviews at those places. Did you think that board scores or grades were more important then your letters of recs? Thanks.

panch

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jan 18, 2003
      PGY*toasted in chicago
        "MGH
        Brigham
        U of Chicago
        U of Michigan
        Stanford
        UCSF"

wishperk, you must be the man.

i would say that ucsf and the brigham should top your list. i interviewed at both for neurology (and w/ the PD of IM at both places). the residents at the brigham were the happiest and brightest IM residents that i've met, and they aren't full of themselves.

as for cities, sf wins hands down.

dos centavos

About the Ads

ckent

Membership Revoked
        Removed
        15+ Year Member
          If you guys wouldn't mind listing your stats and home med school, that would be useful for me to figure out what ballpark I am in when it comes to applying for IM programs. I know that we are supposed to ask our IM PD, but ours is a nephrologist, and I'd like to get opinions from people at other schools too. There's no need for modesty in an anonymous forum. Thanks! And congrats on your guys stellar match lists.

SeeDiph

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jan 3, 2003
          Michigan
            Hey wishperk-

if you end up at U of M I'll see you there...

After interviewing at Brigham, U of C, etc and cancelling UNC, Duke, Emory and Wash U, I decided to return to my alma matter...

For ckent:

If you did well during yrs 2 and 3 and you score fairly well (>230) on step I you will be in really good shape for medicine interviews. Don't, however, be seduced simply by the big names of the traditional academic powerhouses. Choose somewhere where you think your talent will be appreciated and where your contribution will be felt.

Rigomortis

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jun 24, 2002
              UCSF
              Brigham
              Cornell
              Columbia
              Stanford
              Hopkins

The further in the process I got, the more important location became. Cornell vs. Columbia is still a tough call for me....

Good luck all, it's been helpful reading everyone's posts...

Papa Boz

7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Jun 5, 2002
                For me, staying in SE Michigan was a vital part of my decision, percluding the opportunity to hit some of the big guns mentioned in earlier posts. You guys have some very impressive lists. My ROL looks like this...

1. Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center
                2. U of Mich

Ckent - I agree with SeeDiph, except that you can probably overcome <230's on Step 1 with good clinical evaluations and letters of recommendation. I also agree that you should not be sold on a program soley on the basis of a name, but rather what's best for you and your goals. A good start is to look for aggressive pathology, supportive faculty, and finding a place where you feel you can make a difference.

SeeDiph

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Jan 3, 2003
                Michigan
                  you should not be sold on a program soley on the basis of a name, but rather what's best for you and your goals. A good start is to look for aggressive pathology, supportive faculty, and finding a place where you feel you can make a difference

So Papa Boz... what are you really saying? Huh? Huh?

Papa Boz

7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Jun 5, 2002
                    Originally posted by SeeDiph
                    So Papa Boz... what are you really saying? Huh? Huh?
                    Just what I said, my friend. Not to hijack the thread, but SeeDiph and I have had long-running conversations on DMC vs. U of M, and it looks like we may be tragically parting ways. It's all about finding the best fit, and the DMC provides that for me - not that I didn't have a good experience with the UMich people. I mean, I'll still cheer for them in the NCAA hoops tourney and all...:laugh:

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.