Time for step 1 prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many weeks does your school give you to prepare for Step 1 after MS2 is over

• 1 - 2 weeks

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • 2 - 4 weeks

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • 4 - 6 weeks

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • 6 - 8 weeks

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • 8 - 10 weeks

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many weeks does your school give you after MS2 ends for strictly step 1 prep?

Members don't see this ad.

When is the test usually? The M2s at my school have board review classes starting May 20 this year.

It's offered pretty much year-round, but I think the most common time to take it is sometime May-July or so, although it varies from school to school depending on the layout of the curriculum

Members don't see this ad :)
We finish classes first week of May-ish, everyone takes the test the second or third week of June, and rotations start at the very end of June.

We finish M2 May 20th/22nd.
We must take Step I by June 24th.
M3 starts July 2nd.

4.5 weeks if you wait until the absolute last week. I'm not sure what days the test is offered though.

About 6 weeks if you wait until the last possible date. We finish exams May 13 and start rotations July 6. Our last test block (last month of classes) is almost strictly preparing for our comprehensive pharm and path year long classes so you could probably count a lot of the last month as board prep, too. I think most people take the exam between 3 and 5 weeks after final exams (mid June).

Last M2 exam is usually the last Saturday in April or first Saturday in May, then we start an M3 prep the week before third year starts (which varies based on 4th of July). It ends up being 7 or 8 weeks.

My school does not recommend spending more than 6 weeks of prep. Based on their own analysis of our students. Scores continue to improve but the biggest gains are between weeks 3 and 4 and then between 4 and 5. After that the gains made begin to tail off significantly. Plus they encourage getting some sort of vacation before starting as an M3.

We have 4 weeks and a weekend between our last exam and MS3 orientation. You have to fit both Step 1 and however much vacation you want in that period.

I am not amused.