Time is of the essence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spud_gal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Health Tip: Saving a Knocked-Out Tooth

Today's Health News

(HealthDay News) -- If your child has a permanent tooth knocked out, it should be considered a dental emergency, the Nemours Foundation advises.

The tooth is most likely to survive if it is properly placed back in the socket within 30 minutes of the injury.

Here are the foundation's suggestions for what to do if a child's permanent tooth is knocked out:

Find the tooth, and only handle it by the crown (the part that you'd see in a person's mouth), never by the root.
Immediately rinse the tooth (don't scrub it) with saline solution or milk. Don't use tap water, which typically contains chlorine, unless that's all that's available.
If your child is old enough to hold it there, place the tooth gently back in its socket.
If your child is young, store the tooth in a cup of milk, or hold it in your mouth between your cheek and lower gum.
Go immediately to your dentist or local emergency room.

I just thought that was kind of gross.

Members don't see this ad.

This is exactly what happened to me when I was 8yrs old. I am now 18 and should be getting it fixed soon. I was riding my bike and somehow ended up on my face. My permanent tooth went out into the street. Luckily, my uncle found it and we placed it in milk and went to an emergency dentist on a Sunday. It sucked really bad. I had to wear braces only on my front 2 teeth for awhile. But the tooth is still holding up and isn't badly discolored. Actually, no one can ever tell that it is discolored, which is good. Luckily, we had milk in the house!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly what happened to me when I was 8yrs old. I am now 18 and should be getting it fixed soon. I was riding my bike and somehow ended up on my face. My permanent tooth went out into the street. Luckily, my uncle found it and we placed it in milk and went to an emergency dentist on a Sunday. It sucked really bad. I had to wear braces only on my front 2 teeth for awhile. But the tooth is still holding up and isn't badly discolored. Actually, no one can ever tell that it is discolored, which is good. Luckily, we had milk in the house!!!

If it was avulsed, and not fractured, those braces should have been taken off after about 2 weeks.....

I had those braces on for at least a year from what I remember. It looked so funny only on my 2 front teeth.