1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Time, its too expensive D-el (info on following schoolz)

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DeltronZ, Nov 14, 2002.

1. DeltronZ

DeltronZ Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi future classmates:
    I was wondering who has some info regarding acceptance rate/ quality of following schools:

1) arizona
    2) texas schools (all of them)
    3) UNC
    4) UCLA
    5) USC
    6) BU
    7) Colorado
    8) creighton
    9) ILL at chicago

I was just wondering so any info would be greatly appreciated,

(prediction: desidentist answers best)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Zurich5

Zurich5 Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

4. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    1) Arizona: First year school, so there aren't any concrete stats. They ARE looking to fill their class with good stats, however. Expect a 20 on the DAT across the board and a 3.4-3.6 overall GPA. They start inteviewing a week from today.

2) Texas schools (all of them): You just can't beat some of these schools for the price of tuition! San Antonio is an especially good school, with good facilities. Like I said, with a tuition of less than $7,000 a year, why you would go anywhere else if you get accepted is beyond me! These schools are really a gem for Texas residents!

3) UNC: Good research facilities, very competitive for acceptance, however. Solid reputation among other schools, super faculty.

4) UCLA: Competitive entrance stats, but the general consensus is that the curriculum doesn't live up to its reputation. Because it is a UC school, applicants must put up with the crap that UC schools can by law dish out. Aren't our law-makers wonderful?

5) USC: USC has an interesting PBL curriculum. Students are generally home from classes by 2pm each day, and quite frequently they find that they don't need to study much at all (1 hr/day) to do well in their classes.

6) BU: If you can't get in anywhere else, then this will have to do. Be sure you are committed before plunking down the deposit! As with all dental schools, you can receive a great education here.

7) Colorado: Great up-and-coming research school. They are getting more and more funding each year, but that doesn't mean that parallells can be drawn to the curriculum.

8) Creighton: Superb school, with a good patient base. Creighton offers no post-grad specialty degrees, so the dental students see ALL the patients who walk in the door (whereas the ortho cases at other schools go primarily to the ortho residents, etc.). Creighton offers the RDEP and IDEP programs for those who live in Utah and Idaho. In those programs, matriculants pay only $11,000 a year, and do their first year at a med. school in Utah or Idaho. These programs are coveted, but in general the education at Creighton is top notch.

9) Ill at chicago: Good school, but they DO only accept 1-2 out-of-state students, which eliminates you if you aren't a resident. If you are not a resident, then save your bucks before applying here.

6. fourpointohoh

fourpointohoh Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

"8) creighton

Acceptance is relatively high, i would say close to 50% . this is a very good school, in my opinion, however it doesn't get the credit it deserves."

Is that true? How do you know that? That's crazy!!! Are there any other schools like that? Maybe Marquette? And.... can someone also clear things up on this site for me: does Marquette interview or not? If so... how many do they interview, and do they interview everyone??? Also, I got a supplemental application from them... but I know not everyone does.... does that mean that I am "special"? hehe..... too many questions! SORRY!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

4.oo

:D :clap: :p :laugh:

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Marquette interviews ALL in-state applicants, and about 25 out-of-state applicants. An interview is NOT required for matriculation.

8. fourpointohoh

7+ Year Member

thank you... now i understand!!!

what about the secondary... what's the difference between those that get one and those that don't?

9. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Those who don't get a Marquette secondary are probably not considered for admissions. I believe that nearly everybody gets a secondary, however.

You can also fly out to Milwaukee and interview at the school, then take a tour. I did this option and am glad that I did!

10. fourpointohoh

7+ Year Member

Did you ask for an interview or did they call you for one?

11. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    I had a recruiting interview here in my area, and then I went out there at my own request.