time management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwe7791

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been in a lab for several weeks now, and I love it. The problem is that having lab makes me super tired throughout the week and whenever I come home, I don't have the motivation to do anything and I tend to sleep very early now, which means I get nothing done. How can I manage my time better so that I'm able to be energetic and active after lab and have the energy to do my school work?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been in a lab for several weeks now, and I love it. The problem is that having lab makes me super tired throughout the week and whenever I come home, I don't have the motivation to do anything and I tend to sleep very early now, which means I get nothing done. How can I manage my time better so that I'm able to be energetic and active after lab and have the energy to do my school work?

Time management and creating a schedule should help. Maybe even waking up earlier to study would help.

I have a schedule, but I don't feel it working as well as I want it to. And i'm not a morning person...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a schedule, but I don't feel it working as well as I want it to. And i'm not a morning person...

Well, if it doesn't work then create a new one that will work. And you better get used to waking up early since that is what you will hopefully be doing every day of your life in a few years. Just drink more coffee!

Try adding a little exercise. Nothing too strenuous, but enough to get the blood pumping. That will help your energy levels. Eating better always helps, too.

Try adding a little exercise. Nothing too strenuous, but enough to get the blood pumping. That will help your energy levels. Eating better always helps, too.

I tried exercising and eating well for a week, but then i just stopped because I was just too exhausted to prepare my lunch and dinner, so I eat out almost everyday now. Exercising did relieve my stress for a little though

I tried exercising and eating well for a week, but then i just stopped because I was just too exhausted to prepare my lunch and dinner, so I eat out almost everyday now. Exercising did relieve my stress for a little though

I hear that. Preparing meals is a hard thing to keep in a routine. I would often make large batches of food on Sunday night to last the week, then portion it out in containers.

You need to eat healthy longer than a week to see a difference.

Also, you might have a thyroid issue or something else that makes you tired. Working in a lab should not make you exhausted.

Thanks for the tips!! So I should get like 15 containers (3 each day for five days)?
I don't even know where to begin..

Thanks for the tips!! So I should get like 15 containers (3 each day for five days)?
I don't even know where to begin..

It all depends on your tolerance for repetition. When I am super busy and need to eat for sustenance, I will make a big pot of brown rice, mix in some garbanzos, diced tomatoes, tuna, a whole bag of sautéed baby spinach and toss it in oil, adobo, curry and a little hot sauce and. There are about a million variations on this theme. It would last the week, give me the nutrition I need, and most importantly, not be junk food. If I have more time, I cook better. I got away with about three containers (you gotta wash dishes sometime).

yah Im right there with you, working full time studying for mcat blah blah coming home exhausted. still figuring it out, obviously not well since Im up at 2am. good luck.

I feel like I also need a break in lab sometimes because I work hours on end, but my PI always has me doing stuff...