Time of App and Matriculant Data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's no secret that applying late is a cardinal sin an dI'm not disputing it, but is there any data related to the percentage of matriculants who submitted everything before a certain date? For example, 80% of matriculants had their primary done by July and secondaries by August, while only 20% of matriculants were "late" applicants?

I would be very interested in seeing the data if something of the sort does exist.

Members don't see this ad.

This its not collected. Also it would not be terribly useful even if it were. There are too many confounding factors to make any sense from the data. furthermore, you cannot extrapolate your "chances" from previous data anyways. I posted in sector9's data thread a while back about this fallacy of trying to predict anything from previous data.

Sent from my phone

Members don't see this ad :)
The general consensus is that having your secondaries complete in June or July is fine, but every three weeks after August 1st costs you one LizzyM point.

Apologies in advance for harping on this, MT:

While I agree with the sentiment and have suggested many a time in general that people apply a early as they can; there are case-specific times where I have told people to wait.

As for this "three week" rule-I don't buy it. This is based on hearsay, not data.

Granted, I believe this was "developed" with good intention. But, I think it is important to point out that there a some things on SDN that are factual, and there are somethings that are not. This is not based on data.

All other things being equal, you should apply early. But that is a big assumption. Maybe you need more time to write thoughtful essays, or you are waiting on a better LOR. As nontrads, things don't necessarily go as expected. T hings come up. Applying early for the sake of early; that is, rushing your application, is pure folly.

Sent from my phone

Problem is that you can't predict whether you'll get in or not based on this sort of data. I took the MCAT in August and didn't have primaries in until late September-early November. My Secondaries went in in late November-early December. Started interviews in February. I was 90% sure I wasn't going to get in because of the late start, but got my first acceptance in early March.

All other things being equal, you should apply early. But that is a big assumption. Maybe you need more time to write thoughtful essays, or you are waiting on a better LOR. As nontrads, things don't necessarily go as expected. T hings come up. Applying early for the sake of early; that is, rushing your application, is pure folly.
+1. Definitely don't get too hung up on applying as early as possible. I was originally planning to submit in early June (SDN neuroticism got to me :oops:) but decided to take a few extra weeks to rewrite my personal statement and other essays. I'm very glad I ended up doing that. Applying in mid- to late-June is still considered early imo.

Well I was set on applying June 1 (DO) and June 5 (MD), but neither AACOMAS nor AMCAS have received the transcript that was sent on May 21 :(

Well, it is the busy season, and it is probably in a pile somewhere waiting to be processed. :shrug: I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over this. You really don't have to stress over this.

Thanks :) When did you apply? Was your GPA really 2.87/3.00 when you got in?

I wanted to submit early too because I am average; however, I need to revise my PS to make it POP. Also, I take the MCAT again in July, so my focus is needed there. I have put in all the classwork/transcript and biographical info so that is done. I think it is good to apply early but only if everything is perfect. If not, you are shooting yourself in the foot. Present yourself in the best light and you will be rewarded. Neuroticism runs deep on this thread. SDN is helpful, but don't let neuroticism get to you too much. MedPR, I think we will be fine if we submit after the opening dates (mid-June - early July), as long as most of the application is complete by August.:) :thumbup:

I agree, but I feel like everything is good to go. The only reason I'm not submitting tomorrow is if my transcript isn't received.

Even IF it were received this afternoon - it will not be verified for another week or so. Received doesn't mean processed. :oops:. You are not submitting it tomorrow, sorry! I wouldn't fret - this probably makes 0 difference. Most schools "pull" data from AMCAS. That is, it isn't delivered like e-mail that is "pushed" to your inbox, where as soon as you are completed it suddenly appears in the inbox of a bunch of schools. No, instead the schools have to query the database and download the data. The electronic forms stay at AMCAS until the schools are ready for a dump of data. They don't dump every day, or even every week. In fact, most don't start pulling data until much, much later in the cycle anyways. So, really I wouldn't get too worked up about even a two week delay on your application at this stage. Besides, it is out of your hands! Breathe. :)