Time off after intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahaider

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if there is any time off after intern year and before the 2nd year of IM residency. If yes, then how much time do we get?

Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Entirely program and individual schedule-dependent

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if there is any time off after intern year and before the 2nd year of IM residency. If yes, then how much time do we get?

you get vacation time and personal days...that depends on the program, but can be anywhere from 2 -4 weeks..if you choose to take all that time off between internal and 2nd year, well, you are in for a very long 2nd year...you are not in school anymore...residency is a job...you don't get the summers off.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

My program gave all the interns (depending on the calendar for the year) 4-7 days of unpaid vacation before starting second year. This basically let the new interns (who started work ~June 23) work their first week under the supervision of the old senior residents. Their contract would then end ~June 22 (after a full year) and the new one wouldn't start July 1. The other two contracts were July 1-June 30, so no time off after pgy2.

No clue how common that is.

My program gave all the interns (depending on the calendar for the year) 4-7 days of unpaid vacation before starting second year. This basically let the new interns (who started work ~June 23) work their first week under the supervision of the old senior residents. Their contract would then end ~June 22 (after a full year) and the new one wouldn't start July 1. The other two contracts were July 1-June 30, so no time off after pgy2.

No clue how common that is.
Actually I believe this is common in many other programs (where there's a transition period for the pgy3 to work with pgy1) although my program didn't.

WTF?? seriously? time off between 1st and 2nd year ?!?! Is this a new millenial thing? My last day as an intern was a 30 hour shift in the CCU and then proceeding straight to the ER for the start of 2nd year

Reactions: 2 users
WTF?? seriously? time off between 1st and 2nd year ?!?! Is this a new millenial thing? My last day as an intern was a 30 hour shift in the CCU and then proceeding straight to the ER for the start of 2nd year
Er, at least that's a break.

Our break was that clinics were cancelled for the first two weeks. Otherwise...no.

a lot of surgery programs seem to do this...but they started intern year early by a week and then started second year on july 1st so they got a week off (but it was an unpaid week).

a lot of surgery programs seem to do this...but they started intern year early by a week and then started second year on july 1st so they got a week off (but it was an unpaid week).
My program was set up this way. But we got paid for it. The downside was that we otherwise only had 2w of vacation intern year, this week was our 3rd week.

Not sure which would have been worse.