Time off b/w MS1 & MS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flmd08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you taken time off after your first year, and if so, did you get screwed on Step 1? Did you have to re-learn first year material, or did it just come back to you progressed through your second year?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about the 2 months off, or taking off an entire year?

Because most schools have a break. But for those that took off an entire year, yes, it made Step 1 harder, just because they aren't as close to anatomy.

It really depends on what you do for that year.

Take the summer break off entirely... don't do anything except relax. Nothing you learn in 1st year will come back under any circumstances anyway, so enjoy your last free vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about taking and ENTIRE YEAR off to get a masters in health economics. Why between MS1 & MS2?....I just think a break will do me good. Hopefully, I can stay on top of my anatomy.

Flmd08 said:
I was thinking about taking and ENTIRE YEAR off to get a masters in health economics. Why between MS1 & MS2?....I just think a break will do me good. Hopefully, I can stay on top of my anatomy.

You may want to consider toughing it out and taking off between 2nd and 3rd year. That way you can take step 1 and then take a break.