Time off between undergrad and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I major in medical technology, which I'm thinking of doing, I have to go to school for nine semesters rather than 8. That would mean I graduate in December and would have a semester off. Should I work as a medical technician until I start medical school or do something else? If you think I should do something else, could you give me some suggestions?

Also, if I won't go to medical school until then, when should I take the MCAT? During my senior year, rather than junior???

Thanks
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation. I am graduating this December because I double majored. My advice would be to take the MCAT your Senior year (in April, not August). As a Junior, I just don't think I would have been prepared for the test. Second, I think you should make the decision about what to do during your semester off when the time comes. If you apply early, it's possible that you will be accepted before your semester off. Thus, medical schools may not even care what you do, and you can spend the time relaxing. On the other hand, if you know that your chances of getting in are slim after you submit your applications, then you should probably work on improving it during your time off. In this way, you can improve your application for the following year (just in case) and you can also submit these activities to medical schools that may still be considering you (they often put people on wait-lists late into the year of matriculation). Hope this helps.