Time off employment options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lals

Loner/Rebel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a post-bacc. student until this past summer, which I spent studying for the August MCAT. Currently, I am teaching English & Writing as an adjunct Professor at a local college, but could use a second source of income. Naturally, I am interested in something in the health care industry but can't seem to find anything that doesn't require some form of certification or experience that I would be unable to acquire before next fall (when I hope to be matriculating). Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

u could try clinical research--patient contact w/o certification. the only prob is if u tell them you're applying to med school, they prob won't hire you b/c you'll be there less than a year. on the other hand, if u omit this fact, when u later announce your plans and give your notice, u will have burnt a bridge so to speak and can kiss a good rec goodbye...

u could try clinical research--patient contact w/o certification. the only prob is if u tell them you're applying to med school, they prob won't hire you b/c you'll be there less than a year. on the other hand, if u omit this fact, when u later announce your plans and give your notice, u will have burnt a bridge so to speak and can kiss a good rec goodbye...

while you might miss out on a good recommendation, it probably wouldn't matter in the long run. most of my friends who are taking a year off have not told their hirer.

another option might be a clinical research coordinator, medical scribe, coder, or medical office assistant, other than these options, talk with your physician or doctors you've shadowed, they are generally the most receptive to someone without qualifications.

good luck!